U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,583,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
You would lose that bet. The difference with a good AWD or 4x4 drive system is quite significant, especially when it comes to not getting stuck. Winter tyres can help any vehicle, but cannot compare to the advantages of pull from all wheels.

There is an urban myth that AWD and or 4x4 does not make any difference or very little. It appears very popular to repeat amongst those who have not owned or significantly driven a good 4x4 or awd system vehicle in the snow or ice. However it is false.

Keep in mind some awd systems are very poorly engineered and provide little benefit or even a detriment in slippery conditions.

Subaru and Volvo seem to have consistently great awd systems. I have only driven/tested trucks with 4 x 4 systems and they seem all about equal. I am not sure whether there can e a difference with 4x4, but awd systems definitely differ.

Likewise not all tyres claiming to be winter tyres are beneficial. It seems as though most actually provide little or no benefit, some work less well than all season tyres and another set of brands and models perform wonderfully. The snowflake or other claims by the manufacturer about winter use mean nothing at all. You have to get the right brand/model to attain a favorable effect from the tyres. However all season tyres do not come even close to the snow/ice performance of GOOD winter tyres. If you get the correct brand/models of tyre they behave wonderfully.
On what do you base your disagreement? Experience? You seem opinionated but I am looking for some data/facts or at least some experience to back up claims. Are you an automotive salesperson or industry insider?

I mentioned how living in one of the snowiest parts of the country my significant other and I with a FWD vehicle and brand new snow tires had ZERO problems getting around (except when roads and stores were closed during blizzard conditions). That was after struggling for a season with the OEM all season tires that came with her sedan. It was at the same time I had a 4WD vehicle so we had direct comparison. I have since owned several other 4WD and 2WD vehicles as well and am just imparting knowledge based upon such experience and what my research revealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,667,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I am aware that newer Subarus get better MPG (I happen to own one) but the OP said they are looking for a vehicle for under $8000 and new Subarus are affordable but not THAT affordable.
With Subarus you have to be aware of two potential problem areas: head gaskets, and oil consumption. The head gaskets were mostly a problem with pre-2011 Subarus. Subaru since re-designed the engine under the FB-series and now the head gasket problem has been replaced with oil burning. Keep in mind that this problem has not yet been resolved by Subaru, so all non-turbo models (except the H6) can be affected.

Other than that, Subarus are great cars. I have a Forester myself, luckily without the oil burning problem. Buyer beware though...

Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,111,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
With Subarus you have to be aware of two potential problem areas: head gaskets, and oil consumption. The head gaskets were mostly a problem with pre-2011 Subarus. Subaru since re-designed the engine under the FB-series and now the head gasket problem has been replaced with oil burning. Keep in mind that this problem has not yet been resolved by Subaru, so all non-turbo models (except the H6) can be affected.

Other than that, Subarus are great cars. I have a Forester myself, luckily without the oil burning problem. Buyer beware though...
Yes, have heard of this.

I had a 2000 Legacy that had the head gaskets replaced via warranty

Our 2014 Forester does not consume one drop of oil. I know others have not been so fortunate.

One thing I do like is with oil changes it takes exactly 5 quarts. So basically drain car oil, take 5 quart jug and pour full jug into car. No need to measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive