Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

We still have a 1990 Honda Accord EX with 5 speed manual with 261,000 miles on it! It was given to the 2 kids to drive when they turned 16 and now the car is back with us -that means the car had to endure 2 new drivers and teenager-type "car abuse" during those years before they went to college. Other than a window regulator replacement, there have been nothing else that has broken on this car -only routine maintenance such as 2 timing belts, water pumps, fluid changes, etc during its lifetime. We take it to a private Japanese car mechanic now, but all mechanics used to love to work on this car due to simplicity and ease of repair. There are hardly any rattles on this car and it's 24 years old! The Accord is still used as a daily driver in the family, sometimes hauling around 5 passengers all day without a hiccup!

Are there any "equivalent" cars to the one above these days that we can buy new? Meaning one that is relatively not expensive to buy, simple, VERY reliable, has decently-priced parts and great longevity. While I love the technology on cars these days, there are way too many things to break down and mechanics don't always want to deal with these headaches. How are the new Civics, Corollas, maybe an Acura ILX for an "upgrade?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The ILX is a rather silly attempt by Acura to upscale the Civic.

I don't know of any current model cars that are as simple as your 1990 Accord. But they will be as reliable or better. Their entertainment systems might give you some trouble.

Honda 4 cylinder engines now have a timing chain so you will not replace a TB unless you buy a V6. A modern Honda is still straightforward to work on. Parts are widely available, and you can get service anywhere.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:06 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
I would say a new Toyota Camry would fit the bill.

There are some pretty big incentives on them, so you can probably pick one up for $18-22k depending on how you option it.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I know automatics can never be as reliable as a manual. But how about an auto transmission in the 4 cylinder Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accords? Would I get over 250k miles out of one? I know Honda's transmission for the V6s can be hit and miss (I know they are reliable, but nothing to the level of my 1990 Accord). But I would most likely pick the 4 cylinder engine for economy, durability and longevity -am I thinking correctly?
As someone who has replaced a few clutches and throwout bearings, among other things, I disagree.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
I don't know, but I have a Fit auto with 110k miles and it drives like new. I don't see why I can't put another 110k on it.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Manuals are easier to repair than automatics, but I wouldn't call them more reliable. The reliability of a manual is (in large part) determined by the driver's habits. Someone who rides the clutch or constantly shifts at high RPMs and slams into gear is going to wear out a manual much faster than someone who drives normally with an automatic.

Consumer Reports publishes new and used car guides with reliability ratings of the different component systems. I'd suggest looking up the vehicles you're interested in. They should have the information you want, unless the vehicle is in the first year of a generation update.

It's hard to say how much mileage the transmission in an individual vehicle will get. Some fail early, some last forever. All you can do is look at the reports and hope yours will follow the average.

I believe Honda and Toyota have primarily shifted to CVT automatics. They use a metal belt held between two cones rather than traditional gears. In theory, they are more reliable than planetary automatics. Some people don't like them, but I have driven a Nissan Versa with a CVT for 7 years and it has not given me any problems. I like the smoothness and consistent power. Drawbacks are noise and lack of jump when you need to step on the gas.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 PM

518 posts, read 763,610 times
I drive an automatic 1995 Accord with 270,000 miles. Shifting just fine. May be time for ATF change out though.

Anyway, newer cars are not going to be nearly as reliable IMO due to all the new electronic gadgets and extra stuff that's added onto cars these days (infotainment system, tire pressure sensors, etc. etc.) So there is MORE to go wrong.

The good old days of simple cars are likely gone. Because most consumers are going to want a nice car with lots of diff neat features.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Hondas and Toyotas are some of the most reliable cars made but Honda automatic transmissions are a hit or miss. Toyotas automatic transmissions tend to all be very good across the board.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
I know automatics can never be as reliable as a manual. But how about an auto transmission in the 4 cylinder Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accords? Would I get over 250k miles out of one? I know Honda's transmission for the V6s can be hit and miss (I know they are reliable, but nothing to the level of my 1990 Accord). But I would most likely pick the 4 cylinder engine for economy, durability and longevity -am I thinking correctly?
You should tell that to the owner of a '67 Ford Mustang (featured in an issue of Hemmings Classic Cars) that went 425,000 miles with the original transmission.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
As long as you stay away from a CVT and perform scheduled maintenance, pretty much any automatic on the market should last the life of the vehicle.

Most of them are made by the same handful of companies anyway.

A 6-Speed auto I4 or V6 Camry is going to be stone-dead reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive