U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 AM
 
3,437 posts, read 2,481,408 times
Reputation: 5416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Hahahahah

Well, what was the resolution?
Faulty key fob that I had to swap out. I still much prefer the key start, which we have in our other (older) vehicle, but I guess you can't fight it as most all newer cars nowadays come with the push button start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Status: "I need spicy Thai Food" (set 11 days ago)
 
1,253 posts, read 346,834 times
Reputation: 1625
The only problem I have with my keyless system is that it won’t work if my phone and fob are in the same pocket. I also don’t like saying the word “FOB” it sounds like you’re belching.

Make sure You don’t have your fob in a pocket that you sit on otherwise you’ll kill your fob battery prematurely.

I can’t imagine going back to using keys, that’s so archaic. I don’t even like pulling out keys anymore and changed the lock on the front door of my house to keyless.
Not dealing with keys is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 06:21 AM
 
Location: NH
2,190 posts, read 2,176,289 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The only problem I have with my keyless system is that it wonít work if my phone and fob are in the same pocket. I also donít like saying the word ďFOBĒ it sounds like youíre belching.

Make sure You donít have your fob in a pocket that you sit on otherwise youíll kill your fob battery prematurely.

I canít imagine going back to using keys, thatís so archaic. I donít even like pulling out keys anymore and changed the lock on the front door of my house to keyless.
Not dealing with keys is awesome.
I hear many people say the same, but we have one vehicle with a keyless system and absolutely hate it. Keyless entry s one thing, but for the ignition we like having a key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,163 posts, read 3,332,738 times
Reputation: 12582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I hear many people say the same, but we have one vehicle with a keyless system and absolutely hate it. Keyless entry s one thing, but for the ignition we like having a key.

What's there to hate about pushing a button versus turning a key? I don't get it. I prefer our push button starts over the keyed ones. Push button start is simpler, faster, easier and more convenient. I'm not seeing a downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM
 
8,410 posts, read 6,206,787 times
Reputation: 10870
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What's there to hate about pushing a button versus turning a key? I don't get it. I prefer our push button starts over the keyed ones. Push button start is simpler, faster, easier and more convenient. I'm not seeing a downside.

I can give you a couple of reasons.. Not necessarily saying all of them make sense or apply to everyone..


I know for sure if I had small kids I wouldn't want pushbutton. Keys hanging inside the house near the garage, little Johnny Jackass climbs in and hits the button..

I'm sort of 'old school'.. Having the physical key just feels right. Again.. Not saying it makes sense, but I prefer the key.

If i'm not mistaken, the car once started, continues running regardless of where the fob is, right? So. I'd think it makes theft easier. Once they turn it off, they're not starting it again, but.. I'm not positive I'm right about this, so, if I'm wrong.. Sure someone will speak up


I'm not against keyless ignition, but.. If i had my choice between the two, i'd go without. I would not fail to buy a vehicle just because it DID have keyless ignition. Of course, I'd PREFER to have no power windows or locks in my truck as well, but.. I didn't have much luck with that this go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: NH
2,190 posts, read 2,176,289 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What's there to hate about pushing a button versus turning a key? I don't get it. I prefer our push button starts over the keyed ones. Push button start is simpler, faster, easier and more convenient. I'm not seeing a downside.
Its just preference really. I don't think a key is any less simpler, slower, harder, or less convenient than a push button start. For us, we tend to often misplace the fob because unlike a key, where you remove it from the ignition, go in the house with it in your hand and then hang it up, the fob allows you to forget its even on you. Then you have to remember which pair of pants, coat, etc.. you were wearing to locate the fob the next time you want to go for a spin. If you never have to touch it, its like its not even there and is much harder to remember to account for. I guess if I could make a mental note to remove it from my pocket and hang it up each time, it wouldn't be a big deal but I think its more that I am just old school. I think Id like the push button start more if I needed to turn a key to the on position and then press the button to start it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
 
8,410 posts, read 6,206,787 times
Reputation: 10870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its just preference really. I don't think a key is any less simpler, slower, harder, or less convenient than a push button start. For us, we tend to often misplace the fob because unlike a key, where you remove it from the ignition, go in the house with it in your hand and then hang it up, the fob allows you to forget its even on you. Then you have to remember which pair of pants, coat, etc.. you were wearing to locate the fob the next time you want to go for a spin. If you never have to touch it, its like its not even there and is much harder to remember to account for. I guess if I could make a mental note to remove it from my pocket and hang it up each time, it wouldn't be a big deal but I think its more that I am just old school. I think Id like the push button start more if I needed to turn a key to the on position and then press the button to start it.

I'd say a key was far less expensive to replace, but that's certainly not true anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,163 posts, read 3,332,738 times
Reputation: 12582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can give you a couple of reasons.. Not necessarily saying all of them make sense or apply to everyone..


I know for sure if I had small kids I wouldn't want pushbutton. Keys hanging inside the house near the garage, little Johnny Jackass climbs in and hits the button..

I'm sort of 'old school'.. Having the physical key just feels right. Again.. Not saying it makes sense, but I prefer the key.

If i'm not mistaken, the car once started, continues running regardless of where the fob is, right? So. I'd think it makes theft easier. Once they turn it off, they're not starting it again, but.. I'm not positive I'm right about this, so, if I'm wrong.. Sure someone will speak up


I'm not against keyless ignition, but.. If i had my choice between the two, i'd go without. I would not fail to buy a vehicle just because it DID have keyless ignition. Of course, I'd PREFER to have no power windows or locks in my truck as well, but.. I didn't have much luck with that this go round.

I don't know how old Johnny is, but he needs to be big enough to step on the brake AND push the button at the same time. And the fob needs to be in the vehicle to start it. No fob, no start. It won't start if the fob is hanging on the wall.


Yes, the vehicle will continue to run if you exit. And it will also give you an audible alert. But a car with key start will also continue to run if you exit with the key in the ignition, with no audible alert. And the thief can restart it as often as he likes. So if theft is an issue, you should turn the vehicle off whether it's push button or key start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,193,064 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't know how old Johnny is, but he needs to be big enough to step on the brake AND push the button at the same time. And the fob needs to be in the vehicle to start it. No fob, no start. It won't start if the fob is hanging on the wall.


Yes, the vehicle will continue to run if you exit. And it will also give you an audible alert. But a car with key start will also continue to run if you exit with the key in the ignition, with no audible alert. And the thief can restart it as often as he likes. So if theft is an issue, you should turn the vehicle off whether it's push button or key start.
Donít being logic into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,045 posts, read 801,062 times
Reputation: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can give you a couple of reasons.. Not necessarily saying all of them make sense or apply to everyone..


I know for sure if I had small kids I wouldn't want pushbutton. Keys hanging inside the house near the garage, little Johnny Jackass climbs in and hits the button..

I'm sort of 'old school'.. Having the physical key just feels right. Again.. Not saying it makes sense, but I prefer the key.

If i'm not mistaken, the car once started, continues running regardless of where the fob is, right? So. I'd think it makes theft easier. Once they turn it off, they're not starting it again, but.. I'm not positive I'm right about this, so, if I'm wrong.. Sure someone will speak up


I'm not against keyless ignition, but.. If i had my choice between the two, i'd go without. I would not fail to buy a vehicle just because it DID have keyless ignition. Of course, I'd PREFER to have no power windows or locks in my truck as well, but.. I didn't have much luck with that this go round.
You know that in order to start the vehicle with a push button ignition you first have to step on the brake first , how is little Johnny going to reach the brake pedal and push the ignition button at the same time, so that reason is a bunch of BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top