U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:25 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 14 days ago)

54,965 posts, read 38,848,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
To answer your question. I believe it would be relatively expensive. You will have to buy all of the parts from a "normal" version of the car from the same year so that all the parts fit. Since it is fairly new, those parts will be expensive both from the dealer and the aftermarket. Then you will need to find an expert who can install them for you, and most likely have the computer recoded. I'd be surprised if it didn't cost at least a grand before you are finished.

I'd also be concerned with whether the wiring harness of a keyless car is different than one with a regular key start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:47 AM

6,163 posts, read 3,332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd also be concerned with whether the wiring harness of a keyless car is different than one with a regular key start.

What's there to be concerned about? Instead of being routed up through the steering column the wiring is routed to the dash. Big deal.

Old Today, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What's there to be concerned about? Instead of being routed up through the steering column the wiring is routed to the dash. Big deal.

But do they have the same connectors?

And I'm curious now, if these keyless start cars don't have a conventional keyed lock, do they have some form of steering column lock? If so, how is it activated?

Old Today, 12:43 PM

Quote:
But do they have the same connectors?

And I'm curious now, if these keyless start cars don't have a conventional keyed lock, do they have some form of steering column lock? If so, how is it activated?
Who cares about connectors?!!! Some newer vehicles with push button start have other ways to prevent theft. If the vehicles has electric power steering, that acts like a lock. If the transmission is drive-by-wire there is no need for a mechanical steering wheel lock. Engine immobilizers also work. There's all kinds of new technology that works much better than a steering wheel lock. Thieves can punch out a column ignition lock and drive off in less than 30 seconds. Electronic technology makes it much harder to drive off with a vehicle. Now they have to tow it.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Who cares about connectors?!!! Some newer vehicles with push button start have other ways to prevent theft. If the vehicles has electric power steering, that acts like a lock. If the transmission is drive-by-wire there is no need for a mechanical steering wheel lock. Engine immobilizers also work. There's all kinds of new technology that works much better than a steering wheel lock. Thieves can punch out a column ignition lock and drive off in less than 30 seconds. Electronic technology makes it much harder to drive off with a vehicle. Now they have to tow it.

Most people I know who check before taking stuff apart.

Old Today, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Most people I know who check before taking stuff apart.

I can't think of any reason to ever check out connectors. I have never had a reason to take an ignition system apart. And if I ever did, a connector is a connector. I'm certainly not going to base my vehicle purchase decision on what type of connector is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive