U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

3,423 posts, read 2,472,504 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a '13 Nissan Altima with the keyless entry, pushbutton start option. Seemed to be working fine at first; however, lately the sensor on the key fob is spotty and sometimes it takes me several attempts to start my car. I hate this option and just want a good ol' key with the standard ignition where you have to insert a key and manually start it.

Wondering how much (roughly) this would cost to swap it all out? My fear is being out in the middle of nowhere and this keyless starter decides not to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

4,432 posts, read 3,188,293 times
Check the battery on the fob. With these keyless systems the fobs seem to die out sooner than later. And put a few extra batteries in your glove compartment for future insurance.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM

9,040 posts, read 14,379,708 times
I would think buying a fresh battery will be a LOT cheaper than the cost to custom install a keyed ignition system and reprogram the car's computer. (If doing that is even practical).

Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM

148 posts, read 345,144 times
Check the owners manual for a fail safe. Somewhere you can plug (or tap and hold) the key fob to start the vehicle (sometimes charge the key).

Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,342,853 times
Good advice on the extra batteries! I'll have to get my daughter some for her fob.

She absolutely loves the keyless entry & ignition on her '14 Rogue. She keeps her fob and keychain in her backpack most of the time at school, and she never has to fumble for keys or anything. IMO it is much safer for her leaving classes late at night to just touch the door handle and get in.

I doubt it would be easy to change it to a key. I know the base model Rogue has a key, and the SV and SL models the button so I assume an Altima would be the same, but I'll bet it requires some programming and probably changing of other parts besides the ignition switch.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,399,897 times
On my car, there is a slot where you can insert the key fob to start the car in case the fob battery dies.
I would want to assume that this would also be the case for other cars with keyless start options.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM

8,393 posts, read 5,142,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I recently purchased a '13 Nissan Altima with the keyless entry, pushbutton start option. Seemed to be working fine at first; however, lately the sensor on the key fob is spotty and sometimes it takes me several attempts to start my car. I hate this option and just want a good ol' key with the standard ignition where you have to insert a key and manually start it.

Wondering how much (roughly) this would cost to swap it all out? My fear is being out in the middle of nowhere and this keyless starter decides not to work.
To answer your question. I believe it would be relatively expensive. You will have to buy all of the parts from a "normal" version of the car from the same year so that all the parts fit. Since it is fairly new, those parts will be expensive both from the dealer and the aftermarket. Then you will need to find an expert who can install them for you, and most likely have the computer recoded. I'd be surprised if it didn't cost at least a grand before you are finished.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:22 PM

2,958 posts, read 4,989,095 times
Wouldn't a 2013 still be under warranty? Try changing the batteries and if the problem still persists then check with dealer.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,807,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Wouldn't a 2013 still be under warranty? Try changing the batteries and if the problem still persists then check with dealer.
Exactly!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 PM

2,442 posts, read 3,085,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
On my car, there is a slot where you can insert the key fob to start the car in case the fob battery dies.
I would want to assume that this would also be the case for other cars with keyless start options.
There is also a slot for the fob on Altima's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
To answer your question. I believe it would be relatively expensive. You will have to buy all of the parts from a "normal" version of the car from the same year so that all the parts fit. Since it is fairly new, those parts will be expensive both from the dealer and the aftermarket. Then you will need to find an expert who can install them for you, and most likely have the computer recoded. I'd be surprised if it didn't cost at least a grand before you are finished.
It would have the potential to be an absolute nightmare but could be done. This is one of those things you would want to do yourself as it would be cost prohibitive. The key fob and the ECM communicate to confirm a "key" code matches. You would have to circumvent that code in the ECM first before it would even be possible. Otherwise, the ECM would not allow the car to start. This could entail reprogramming the ECM to remove the code or swapping to a previous generation ECM with regular key ignition. If you swap to previous generation, then you would have to hope the harness plug matches, the wiring matches and they haven't changed the number of O2 sensors or the type of MAF along with a other sensors. If you reprogram the existing ECM, then you have to figure out how to tie the key ignition switch in to operate properly. It might be as simple as replacing the push button with a key switch but then again, maybe not. This would be one of those figure this problem out, see what works and then figure the next problem out kind of deals.

I would just go buy a new battery for the fob or replace the fob if defective. There is nothing overly complicated about them and they are relatively reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive