U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,361,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
Wow. It's definitely a step back for Hyundai. Their new sonata sucks. I mean it looks ok but the 2.0 turbo engine is supposed to output about 245hp but does 0-60 in 8 secs. How in the world is that possible? Mpg is probably in the 20s combined. It's also about $30,000 and probably use premium gas. The mazda6 which sells for $22,000 (base) has 180hp and does 0-60 also in about 8 secs. Mpg is about 37 highway. Probably 30 combined. Runs on 87 gas. Why would anyone pay $8000 more for that?
The new Sonata is quite good based on the first reviews that have come in. The biggest complaint I've heard is from current owners who think the styling has been toned down too much but I actually think it looks pretty sharp and materials quality is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,398,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The point is that automakers cannot be allowed to cheat. That's all. Hyundai/Kia cheated. It matters.

It doesn't mean those aren't good cars.

I agree......but I didn't feel like I got cheated. I didn't even buy the car because of the mileage. Whether it said 25 mpg or 40 mpg on the sticker, I was buying it because of the standard tech features and other features.
I have been in the auto industry for 27 years, 22 of them with GM(Chevy) and I could write a book on all of the crap they made in the 80's and 90's and the poor quality that they passed on to us. Isnt that being cheated in a way? Look at the recall recently where people were killed. I had a 2009 HHR that had the original recall done.....at a time where they knew it could cause harm and they weren't truthful about it.
One of those killed could have been me or my wife. I would never buy another GM car again.
To each his own, everyone has their own feelings. Like I said , I didn't buy my Hyundai because of the mileage, it was an added bonus so I personally wont crucify them over 2 mpg. The dealer I bought from is fantastic and in 73,000 miles on a 2013 Elantra, I have had zero issues. I just take it in for maintenance. Now on the other hand, when I bought my 2009 HHR, it was always in the shop for warranty issues and problems. I traded it in 2012 for the 2013 Elantra and have not regretted one minute of it. Again.....my opinion.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM

774 posts, read 1,836,993 times
Hyundai and Kia are sending checks to buyers who are not getting EPA estimated gas mileage.

My neighbor told me he has been getting checks even though he feels he mileage has been quite good overall.

So... even though I don't condone false advertising, I would hardly say they are getting away with anything in this case.

Mikey

Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 PM

112 posts, read 331,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
What are you driving?
2002 Honda Accord manual with 160k miles.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM

112 posts, read 331,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The new Sonata is quite good based on the first reviews that have come in. The biggest complaint I've heard is from current owners who think the styling has been toned down too much but I actually think it looks pretty sharp and materials quality is very good.
I've no doubt that it's a decent car. But $8000 is a big difference for same performance. I meant sucks for the price.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 PM

25,396 posts, read 16,448,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The US fines Kia and Hyundai for overstating fuel mileage claims...
U.S. Fines Hyundai, Kia for Overstating Fuel Economy - WSJ - WSJ
Ah...isn't it the EPA that does the testing and certification? Is this just one more case of a private business being held responsible for the incompetence of the US government?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM

25,396 posts, read 16,448,368 times
Basic Information | Fuel Economy | US EPA

Quote:
EPA is responsible for providing the fuel economy data that is used on the fuel economy label (or window sticker) on all new cars and light trucks. In addition, the data is used by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to publish the annual Fuel Economy Guide, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to administer the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) program, and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to collect Gas Guzzler taxes. The test data is derived from vehicle testing done at EPA’s National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and by vehicle manufacturers who submit their own test data to EPA.

Fuel Economy and Environment Labels

Every new car and light-duty truck sold in the United States is required to have a fuel economy label. The label (or "window sticker") contains the miles-per-gallon estimates that are designed to help consumers compare and shop for vehicles. EPA, in conjunction with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has updated the label to incorporate new information required by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, such as new ratings on fuel economy, greenhouse gas emissions, and other air pollutant emissions. The goal of the updated label is to enable easy and well-informed comparisons across all vehicles and vehicle technologies, including electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and gasoline/diesel vehicles. The new label will appear on 2013 model year vehicles. For more information on the fuel economy label see:

Old 11-16-2014, 01:52 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,420,250 times
I would never purchase a KIA/Hyundai/Nissan regular sedan cars since I hate how they handle.

The rental car lots are full of them and almost every time I rent, I somehow end up with a Sonata or Optima.
Other options are the Nissan Altima/Maxima which due to their awful CVT are not any better...

So recently I prefer to pay a bit extra to get me away from these boat like response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or