U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM
 
1 posts, read 835 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have received a written offer to sell my used car to a local car dealer (used car section of a local Nissan dealer). I'm ok with the price offered and plan to close the deal tomorrow. The only concern I have is they told me it will take 2 - 3 business days before I receive the check. I am uncomfortable about them having possession of my car for those few days. Should I be concerned? Thoughts on this or other related experiences??

Thanks in advance!

Jarrel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM
 
2,285 posts, read 2,946,386 times
Reputation: 3656
Relax. I've done it a few times. If it's Towne North, they'll come through - worst case you sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC
2,857 posts, read 4,701,004 times
Reputation: 3751
Have you gone to Carmax to find out how much they'll give you?

They are sort of the (gold) standard for selling your car to a dealership with no hassle and they are quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM
 
5,087 posts, read 6,240,460 times
Reputation: 7834
I agree with Idlewile. Go to Carmax too. It will only take 30 minutes tops for them to give you an offer. If it's less than the Nissan dealership, then don't take it. If it's more, then sell it to Carmax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Annandale, VA
5,098 posts, read 4,128,211 times
Reputation: 4199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Have you gone to Carmax to find out how much they'll give you?

They are sort of the (gold) standard for selling your car to a dealership with no hassle and they are quick.

I agree. My parents just sold their 2009 Cadillac CTS to CarMax. They offered $3000 more than the local Cadillac dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 08:48 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,457 posts, read 50,717,628 times
Reputation: 28761
Beware of the fine print. If they haven't seen and evaluated the car yet there could be a disclaimer and the actual final offer
could end up lower due to work it "needs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: East TX
2,085 posts, read 1,825,727 times
Reputation: 3175
Sell the car to either the Nissan dealer or the Carmax location, whichever offers the most money. Sign the bill of sale and give them the keys. They don't get the title until you get the check. They cannot do anything with the car without the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,992 posts, read 3,095,291 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Sell the car to either the Nissan dealer or the Carmax location, whichever offers the most money. Sign the bill of sale and give them the keys. They don't get the title until you get the check. They cannot do anything with the car without the title.
+1 Hold back the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Inland Empire, Calif
2,887 posts, read 4,612,985 times
Reputation: 2766
I also like the Carmax idea. I just purchased a new car. The dealer offered me $5k for my trade in. Carmax offered me $6k. I'll never sneeze at an extra grand...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
7,036 posts, read 5,219,555 times
Reputation: 9508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrelj View Post
I have received a written offer to sell my used car to a local car dealer (used car section of a local Nissan dealer). I'm ok with the price offered and plan to close the deal tomorrow. The only concern I have is they told me it will take 2 - 3 business days before I receive the check. I am uncomfortable about them having possession of my car for those few days. Should I be concerned? Thoughts on this or other related experiences??

Thanks in advance!

Jarrel
Thats how it worked at the store I worked at. And they likely wouldn't take the car without the title. If you get a signed bill of sale from them, there is really nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top