U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,098,320 times

Advertisements

I would be careful about it - but sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM

656 posts, read 929,383 times
I've bought de-milled vehicles before... they're a crap shoot. The M35A2 was great.... the M1008 was junk, owing largely to the 6.2 Detroit; it's propensity to crack heads being the most obvious -but not the least of - its issues.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 24,246,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I am looking for feedback regarding government surplus vehicles. What is your perception of surplus police cars, administrative cars, trucks, or other vehicles and equipment. Would you ever buy from a government agency and what type of buying format would you prefer? Online auction, live auction, static sales at a specific location, or other options?
yes i would buy a government surplus vehicle. but i will say this, look them over VERY carefully. back when i worked for the city of tucson, one of my duties was to help pull vehicles out to the auction area. most of them are in decent condition, though the cop cars can be well worn. but there are vehicles that are ready for the junk yard. for instance i pulled an international scout ll pick up that was used by the sanitation department up, and the transmission was very nearly junk. i had to hold the shifter in every gear or it would pop out of gear. it was also making rather ominous noises as well from all parts of the drive train.

the upside is that government vehicles are put on a fairly strict service regimen.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:58 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,610,399 times
I was fleet manager for a municipal fleet and our vehicles were maintained to a high level. Staff cars were serviced every six months or 4000 miles, police care were serviced every 30 days or 3000 miles, and went through a rigorous bumper to bumper inspection to make sure everything was in perfect condition. PD cars were brought in for a complete inspection after every pursuit. Money was no object, what ever it took to make them as dependable and safe as possible.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 PM

3,026 posts, read 1,992,253 times
Here in my area, the patrol cars are well-used and close to worn out by the time they're retired; the better cars are the unmarked vehicles assigned to detectives and high police brass, as most detectives' cars are take-home units. Take-home cars are (seemingly) better cared for than marked units, which are rotated every shift.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:04 AM

421 posts, read 309,743 times
I had a chevy caprice purchased at auction. It was a police car and did it have power!!! It was clean and not too high miles. If a road hog tried to cut me out or not let me pass I would step on it and fly right over them! Radio cab in Portland gets a lot of their vehicles at auction. most of them police cars.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,436 posts, read 50,666,198 times
Police cars are different, because they are assigned and used by one or two officer all the time. Most of the government vehicles are used by many people, especially if they were "pool" cars. That means they were treated like rental cars, well maintained but possibly driven hard at times. Rental cars can be problematic as used cars but most are just fine. Usually the ones driven hard that can have premature transmission or other problems are the more "high performance" vehicles that rental cars have but are rare in a government fleet.

I would, however, avoid the black Tahoes.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 AM

14,591 posts, read 6,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
I've bought de-milled vehicles before... they're a crap shoot. The M35A2 was great.... the M1008 was junk, owing largely to the 6.2 Detroit; it's propensity to crack heads being the most obvious -but not the least of - its issues.
We get a lot of hand-me-downs through DRMO in the weapons range business. Just tooled around in an M35 this week. Pretty much nowhere it won't go. Likewise for the M998 and M1113 Hummers, but you can have the CUCV 1008s... nothing but trouble.

My experience with GSA vehicles is like any other... buyer beware. We have two pickups from the mid-90s still in operation, not particularly high mileage but definitely older and very basic (vinyl seats, no AC).

Old 11-07-2014, 12:55 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,931,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
A friend on my local Mustang website has always worked in law enforcement and used to buy a lot of retired police vehicles to flip. He tried to buy unmarked or minimally marked detective cars, those used by other government department officials, or from small town departments. I think he had an internal source about the auctions or something. The cars he got were usually very clean and still had plenty of miles left on them. I seriously considered a couple of them, but I knew my wife would not like a "cop car" in the driveway!
Maybe he had them repainted, too. When I lived in Pittsburgh we could always tell the police unmarkeds because they were American sedans in very ugly colors.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 PM

656 posts, read 929,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
We get a lot of hand-me-downs through DRMO in the weapons range business. Just tooled around in an M35 this week. Pretty much nowhere it won't go. Likewise for the M998 and M1113 Hummers, but you can have the CUCV 1008s... nothing but trouble.
I'm neither a fan of the 998 series or 1113 series. The 998 series used the same POS Detroit 6.2 which the M1008/M1009 series used. The 6.5 Detroit the 1113s use is still a dog. The worst were the uparmored ones based on the M998 chassis... same crap drivetrain (on account of the 6.2 Detroit, not the TH450), twice the weight, substantially more ground pressure... got stuck on a dime, no power... had to deal with those hunks of **** in Kosovo in 99. The Humvee is a high mobility vehicle... that was a great way to turn it into a "no mobility" vehicle.
When I worked the oilfields in Louisiana, we had a couple of the older HETs, with the 8V92.. those were fun.. now I'm seeing the newer HETS tractors going as surplus.. although I'd rather have the British variant, which is powered by a C18 Cat rated at 700 bhp! Another one I'd like to have is the M35A3.. from 94 - 99, the DoD took a bunch of M35A1s and A2s and put them through the Extended Service Program.. gave them a 3116 Cat engine (before Cat crapped out on their highway diesels), four speed mechanical Allison auto (I'd rather it be a five, but oh, well), and CTIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or