U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:10 AM

19,848 posts, read 10,559,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Let's say all drivers do what you propose they should do, what happens when no one will give you way and you reach the end of the merge lane at your high speeds. What do you do then? Crash?
I've had it happen, I just continue on the shoulder and let the car go past me. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
I just has a similar situation. The car in front of me on an entrance ramp suddenly slowed to a near stop to avoid accelerating to merge with traffic. I saw the car slowing and simply passed it on the right shoulder of the entrance ramp. As there was a truck following me I did not want to slow down. I will use as much of the pavement as I need.

Last edited by GregW; 11-08-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 06:22 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,596,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They don't care about other drivers, they'll get up to speed when they're darn good and ready. BTW, what are you doing on THEIR road?
Exactly!! It's funny to see this thread as I was a victim of this a few days ago.

A lady in a 1 or 2 year old V6 powered Acura was in front of me going at a snail's pace up the ramp and trying to merge on a MAJOR highway in downtown Indianapolis (I-65) during the morning rush hour where the average speed is around 70 mph!!! She almost killed both of us... I finally stepped on it and merged on before the ramp actually met the highway in the small window I had... As I passed her, I made the hand gesture to her to "step on it" and she got SO mad!!! It was so funny.... She laid on the horn for a good 10-15 seconds. Of course, at that point, I couldn't help but blow her a big fat kiss and a very smart alec wave!!!

I think the bottom line is they just can't drive and don't get the idea about ramps and laws of physics!!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
I'll bet they all consider themselves to be very safe drivers by going so slow.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,099,206 times
If I have a snail in front of me on the on ramp (and it happens here too quite a bit), I back off and slow down even more to put enough room between me and them that I can quickly accelerate and move into the center lane past them once I get on the highway. It makes the people behind me really mad, but there's absolutely no point in tailgating the slow poke because then you end up having to merge behind them at their speed which is dangerous and frustrating.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,433,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Let's say all drivers do what you propose they should do, what happens when no one will give you way and you reach the end of the merge lane at your high speeds. What do you do then? Crash?
If you're not checking for an opening before you get to the end of the merge lane, you're doing it wrong. You should never plan your merge on the assumption that people will just get out of your way. The traffic on the highway has the right-of-way, so you have to give way to them, find a gap in traffic, and accelerate or decelerate as necessary to fit into that gap without disrupting the flow of traffic behind you.

It's all about reading the traffic around you, which requires paying attention to the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You can't help getting close to them. They are driving in a dangerous manner, and they are leaving you with only 2 choices, both of which are dangerous. You can either try to get up to proper merging speed and end up in their tail, or you can drive as slowly as them and risk someone on the highway crashing into you when you try to enter it.
Option C: hang way back until the slowpoke is on the highway. At least you'll still have some room to accelerate once he's out of the way. For all you know, he could stop at the end of the ramp, and if you're tailgating him, that could put you in an even more dangerous situation.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:32 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,078,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Timid, fearful, complete lack of confidence in their abilities (clearly justified).

Absolutely!
However, to your list I would add, "drivers who have no clue".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
If I have a snail in front of me on the on ramp (and it happens here too quite a bit), I back off and slow down even more to put enough room between me and them that I can quickly accelerate and move into the center lane past them once I get on the highway. It makes the people behind me really mad, but there's absolutely no point in tailgating the slow poke because then you end up having to merge behind them at their speed which is dangerous and frustrating.
That is exactly what I do.
If you tailgate the slowpoke, you aren't giving yourself enough acceleration room when you finally are able to nail the gas pedal. Backing-off a bit is much safer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If cars behind the slopepoke are following too close to them
What if they aren't driving on a slope?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They don't care about other drivers, they'll get up to speed when they're darn good and ready. BTW, what are you doing on THEIR road?
Yeah, there are too many people with this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I'll bet they all consider themselves to be very safe drivers by going so slow.
Yep. I've been stuck behind drivers in various situations going anywhere from 10-20 mph below the speed limit (on clean, dry pavement*), and also stuck behind slow mergers, and when I finally get around them, some of them will flash their lights at me or beep their horn, or make some other gesture that indicates they think I'm going too fast.

*Snow and ice is a different situation - this situation does often require travel below the posted limit, depending on road conditions, and also requires larger gaps between vehicles if it is very slippery.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,351,291 times
Humans were not designed to travel any faster than the speed of a galloping horse.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM

646 posts, read 516,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
This is something I do as well. Need that gap to accelerate and merge at some kind of speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or