U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:12 AM

17,102 posts, read 18,434,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The Nissan dealer said if the other car repair place does something and it breaks(like flushing the transmission) Nissan will not cover it.

The dealer would have to PROVE the service is what caused the breakdown. If you go to a reputable shop that services imports/nissan vehicles they know what they are doing.
In some cases people go to dealers because they feel better about it. That's fine. You can call around the local nissan dealers and get a quote over the phone about the cost of a 30k service and what it entails. And you can always ask for a discount. Don't be afraid to ask. Just say I was wondering if there are any discounts you can give me if I do the work today? Service writers have a lot of leeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:18 AM

7,864 posts, read 11,518,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The proponents of leasing seem to believe that maintenence is included in the lease, apparently that isn't so. Which is what I was always told when I inquired about leasing. It's a terrible way to pay to drive, you are always going to be making a car payment and still responsible for the maintence costs.
As a blanket statement, that is incorrect. I can't speak for Nissan, but I can tell you that there are manufacturers who cover routine maintenance as part of the lease.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,638,600 times
Get a BMW.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,837,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As a blanket statement, that is incorrect. I can't speak for Nissan, but I can tell you that there are manufacturers who cover routine maintenance as part of the lease.
It would be interesting to find out which ones. GM and Ford didn't, looks like Nissan doesn't, and when you say routine maintenance does that include tires, clutches (you shouldn't need one under a lease) brakes, etc? Curious minds want to know.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,400,730 times
Quote:
The proponents of leasing seem to believe that maintenence is included in the lease, apparently that isn't so. Which is what I was always told when I inquired about leasing. It's a terrible way to pay to drive, you are always going to be making a car payment and still responsible for the maintence costs.

And dealership service writers are the greatest purveyors of doom I've ever run in to. All you have to remember is that the more they write, they more they make. Take your routine maintenence to an indie shop.
Depends on the lease. Covering routine maintenance for the first X years / Y miles is pretty standard on leases and purchases, though not all companies do it.

Of course, this is all disclosed up front so I'm not sure how one could possibly be surprised by what is and is not covered. Not clear to me why one would expect Nissan to cover some other mechanic's mistakes or pay for damage caused by the lessee.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:11 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,400,730 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to find out which ones. GM and Ford didn't, looks like Nissan doesn't, and when you say routine maintenance does that include tires, clutches (you shouldn't need one under a lease) brakes, etc? Curious minds want to know.
Depends on the specific company...

Toyota covers all fluids, oil filters, and tire rotations. You are responsible for the rest. Things that are a function of your (in)ability to drive like needing new tires or a new clutch are obviously not covered.

BMW covers all the regularly scheduled stuff as well as brake pads, discs, and wiper blades for the first 4 years/50,000 miles.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,394,578 times
A lease car has to be serviced at the minimum recommended service schedule as listed in the owner's manual. But dealers are notorious for spending your money needlessly! If Nissan was paying for the services, do you think they would do any more than the minimum?

I looked at the Nissan service schedule and according to the one for a 2013 Juke, and for 30K miles it requires an oil & filter change, brake fluid change(!?!) air filter change, cabin filter change, rotate tires, and inspect a lot of meechanical items. Now they offer a Premium Ugrade service for changing the AT/CVT fluid, drive belts(!?!), radiator cap(!?!), wiper blades and they check a few other items. Now I would not do that Premium service on a lease car, and IMO it is overkill on a car anyway at that mileage. And unless you drive under the "severe" driving conditions as listed in the manual, you can follow the Schedule 2 service, not the Schedule 1 more severe duty schedule. https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ance-guide.pdf

You can do the air & cabin filter changes yourself, or rather buy the filter and ask the guys at the parts place to help you change it out, saving a lot on the cost. Tires, if you've worn them out, that is not unreasonable in 30K miles, but is a little premature. But they will probably deduct for them if not replaced, when the lease is up. The brake fluid, I doubt it "needs" replacement, but they are being conservative due to the sensitive ABS brakes and stability safety systems on new cars. Brake fluid does absorb water and it can damage the brake components.

Oh, and you have hubcaps on your Juke? All I see for used wheels on www.car-part.com is for alloy wheels and the spare tire wheel. The used alloy wheels run around $100 on there from salvage places in NJ.

I would shop around and have the services you need done like tires, wheel, filters, etc. at places other than a dealer. Might take a bit more time, but you can save hundreds over the dealer prices. And save the receipts!

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 AM

9,072 posts, read 9,432,117 times
I lease a Benz, and the contract only states that I have to get the maintainence done at the recommended interval. Doesn't say by whom.

I did all the maintainence myself which really was a few oil changes (easy as hell to do on a M-B) and some inspections (trans fluid, coolant and such). The car goes back next month and really dont expect any problems there. I have my receipts and used OEM filters and M-B recommended fluids (Mobil 1).

Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,394,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have my receipts and used OEM filters and M-B recommended fluids (Mobil 1).
LOL! You do that too Mike? I have a pile of filters from oil changes I did on our last two cars purchased while still under the powertrain warranty. I need to take them in one of these days.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 AM

9,072 posts, read 9,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
LOL! You do that too Mike? I have a pile of filters from oil changes I did on our last two cars purchased while still under the powertrain warranty. I need to take them in one of these days.
Yup, granted by the time i return that car next month, it will have only needed 2 oil changes though...

You've gotta see the pile of receipts from my Infiniti. Every filter, or quart of oil, coolant, belts, wiper blade, PCV valve or anything that was purchased while it was under any type of warranty was saved and documented by myself in a binder in case I ever had an issue with the dealer. It's a pretty big binder. All for naught however as that car has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 152K on it now and only very minor issues since new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive