U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,552,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Unless you are running ethanol free gas you need an additive a few times a year. Mercedes, BMW and GM recommend Techron.
There isn't enough corn in E10 to warrant using any kind of additive. And even then, what additive do you think you need? They make all kinds for all sorts of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:39 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,693,166 times
The only time i us a fuel supplement is in a diesel engine. I have older CAT 3126b motors in my trucks and since they changed the blend in 2006 the engines run rougher and need the celtane a fuel additive brings.

In my experience with newer model cars if they are running rough or under powered I have found changing the fuel filter remedies many issues and is often over looked by a person when preforming routine maintenance.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,313,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Is the fuel treatment recommended? What about the oil treatment?
I prefer to invest in Sea Foam Motor Treatment.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:01 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
CCcgirl, ethanol is a solvent and will act as a cleaner in the gas. If we had higher compression engines to take advantage of the octane level of ethanol it would be a good thing. Unfortunately, raising the combustion ratio also raises the emissions by a lot.

Seafoam, the poster boy for snake oil. It nothing but a light oil, naphtha, and rubbing alcohol. If you think there's something magical about it, buy a lot as the maker needs more folks to finance this farce. Here's THEIR MSDS on it. Pale Oil is a light oil about 20 viscosity. I hope I don't need to explain Naphtha. And IPA is IsoPropyl Alcohol. If you just want to screw up seals, put this in the oil. Alcohol and naphtha will strip lubrication quick. As a fuel treatment, NO oil of any kind needs to go thru the Cats....unless you just like replacing them.
http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/u...seafoam_EN.pdf

Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,313,744 times
Holy S... thanks. Good to know.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 PM

13,638 posts, read 8,659,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I prefer to invest in Sea Foam Motor Treatment.
In another car forum I follow, sea foam created hydraulic shock, bent a rod and killed the engine. All for $10. It is a bargain.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,693,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
CCcgirl, ethanol is a solvent and will act as a cleaner in the gas. If we had higher compression engines to take advantage of the octane level of ethanol it would be a good thing. Unfortunately, raising the combustion ratio also raises the emissions by a lot.

Seafoam, the poster boy for snake oil. It nothing but a light oil, naphtha, and rubbing alcohol. If you think there's something magical about it, buy a lot as the maker needs more folks to finance this farce. Here's THEIR MSDS on it. Pale Oil is a light oil about 20 viscosity. I hope I don't need to explain Naphtha. And IPA is IsoPropyl Alcohol. If you just want to screw up seals, put this in the oil. Alcohol and naphtha will strip lubrication quick. As a fuel treatment, NO oil of any kind needs to go thru the Cats....unless you just like replacing them.
http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/u...seafoam_EN.pdf
This is why we would soak old TBI injectors with seafoam to clean them out. It's desludges everything. Seafoam is also very useful in engines that have been horribly neglected. It does have it's uses.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 AM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
If you are using any fuel that contains ethanol, you need to use fuel treatment. Ethanol will cause your engine to break down quickly.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,327,150 times
I used Seafoam (in the fuel, not in the crankcase) recently on a 165k mile old vehicle. Didn't notice a difference. I guess I could/should have tried Techron instead. I do indeed often use ethanol free fuel though. Trying to get rid of a P0420 code I guess that should be mentioned.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 AM

7,858 posts, read 6,662,302 times
Used Highest octane on a Toyota car for years and it damaged the Gas tank parts which cost thousand dollars as the engine light came on after the repair , which all pollution controls had to be all replaced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive