U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM

12,657 posts, read 12,078,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I don't even keep the dealer stickers on my cars, let alone political stickers. I don't like free advertising for the dealerships and I take the stickers off as soon as I get home. You can be park somewhere in a place where people really hate who you voted for or just support, your car could be egged, keyed, spray painted, or tires punched. Also, people will prejudge you on who they think you are based on those stickers.
A sad state of affairs that there are people who will resort to these things. These same people probably preach on one hand "America is great! Freedom!", then do these tactics on the other hand to anyone who is actually practicing what makes the US great in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,020,228 times
My favorite is when the bumper sticker and car don't match the stereotype. I saw a Volvo with a slew of conservative stickers during the last election. And an 'eat local shrimp' (I am on Coastal SC where people decry imported shrimp) on the back of a Toyota truck. Conservation stickers on the back of large SUVs. At least 1/3 of the cars I see on the road have NRA stickers.

And word to whoever thought Suburus came from the factory with stickers. Someone suggested one on FB when a friend was searching out vehicles and the running joke was that none of us could run far enough to validate all the bumper stickers. My sister has atleast 3 science/geology/hiking stickers on the back of her suburu at any given time.

And a friend's wife wins the political sticker award for a 'the only bush I trust is my own' sticker on the side of her Volvo back in the 00s. The 'work harder, you have to support the people who don't' is also pretty good but has grown too common.

The best quasi political sticker is '40 acres and a Benz' as seen on the back of a Mercedes Benz in Atlanta.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM

12,657 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
"Hey nice looking car....ummmm I'll give you $500 less, I got to get it to the body shop and get rid of all of these bumper stickers"

I see a fair share of cars with every square inch of real estate on the back of their cars covered in Obama, NPR, COEXIST bumper stickers. I wonder how much that hurts re-sale. Any stickers that I put on are either on a chrome bumper, or a window so it's not so permanent.
It does not hurt the paint nor resale at all; most of those stickers are easily removed and leaves nothing on the paint, they are purposely made for it. It is only when people throw on those stickers not meant for cars is when they are a pain to take off, thus potentially damaging the paint, but body shops have some special thing they put on the and they easily come off.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM

7,200 posts, read 4,639,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A sad state of affairs that there are people who will resort to these things. These same people probably preach on one hand "America is great! Freedom!", then do these tactics on the other hand to anyone who is actually practicing what makes the US great in the first place.
I agree with you, but unfortunately there are people out there who will do things like that.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:30 PM

19,848 posts, read 10,554,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
My favorite is when the bumper sticker and car don't match the stereotype. I saw a Volvo with a slew of conservative stickers during the last election. And an 'eat local shrimp' (I am on Coastal SC where people decry imported shrimp) on the back of a Toyota truck. Conservation stickers on the back of large SUVs. At least 1/3 of the cars I see on the road have NRA stickers.

And word to whoever thought Suburus came from the factory with stickers. Someone suggested one on FB when a friend was searching out vehicles and the running joke was that none of us could run far enough to validate all the bumper stickers. My sister has atleast 3 science/geology/hiking stickers on the back of her suburu at any given time.

And a friend's wife wins the political sticker award for a 'the only bush I trust is my own' sticker on the side of her Volvo back in the 00s. The 'work harder, you have to support the people who don't' is also pretty good but has grown too common.

The best quasi political sticker is '40 acres and a Benz' as seen on the back of a Mercedes Benz in Atlanta.
I just saw that myself! Was behind a Suburu Forester with an NRA sticker, a hunting sticker and something else, like Tea Party something. I was blinking my eyes I was so shocked

Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM

375 posts, read 315,246 times
I would never put a political sticker on my car. I agree that it's asking for trouble.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,107,380 times
I don't put stickers on my car as I am a clean car nut. Nothing's going to touch that paint.

But I agree, you're simply making yourself a target with political or religious stickers. It's so polarizing and there are a lot of nuts out there.

Yes, you have the right to express yourself however you want, but just be prepared for the consequences whether warranted or not.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,545,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
My favorite is when the bumper sticker and car don't match the stereotype.
I have a Ron Paul sticker on the bike rack I occasionally mount on my Outback. Will replace with a Jeb Bush one in a year or two.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 AM

16,477 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

it looks tacky, plus there are crazy loons out there that might not like your politics and will vandalize your car
And you could also become a target for more traffic fines. As an example, the police force, all pro-Democrat, loses their Democratic mayor to a Republican or vice versa.

I used to have a personalized licene plate, that read Tjuana, I was stopped a few times at night because the police (I'm guessing) thought I was Mexican, and I'm Caucasian. They couldn't see thru the darkly tinted windows!

My Mexican co-worker, after being stopped a couple times, removed her stickers advertising that she was Mexican, and she was the one that guessed I was stopped because of my license plate.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM

9,438 posts, read 3,821,256 times
The good thing today is the political stickers are peel off and leave no marks. The pols. are also giving out magnets. Take it off and wipe the dust off and its gone.

Its free speech and protected by that 1st thing in the Constitution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or