U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times

Advertisements

Saw a video on the Nissan 240SX and it reminded me of how many sporty coupes use to be on the roads. Many of these were 2 door versions of 4 door sedans or shared features of the sedan.

Nissan had the 240SX. Toyota had the Celica. Honda had the Prelude. Ford and Mazda partnered to make the Ford Probe (which was almost the next generation Mustang) and Mazda MX-6, a coupe version of the 626. Chrysler partnered with Mitsubishi for the Eclipse, Sebring, and Avenger. GM didn't didn't go to Japan nor Korea for their coupes. They went a different route. For GM, they had the Chevy Beretta, Pontiac Grand Am, Buick Skylark, and Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. None were fast in 0-60 or 1/4 mile time test. But in the era they were made, they were quick, good handling, and sporty looking. I might be forgetting other versions. I've never driven any of these models. Some had mechanical issues like the Quad4 blowing head gaskets (happened to my sister's Oldsmobile Calais). If I had to pick a favorite on appearance alone, I think I'd go with the Dodge Avenger. For performance I'd go Nissan 240SX. While other cars were faster, it was the only RWD of the bunch and it's engine could be boosted from Nissan Japan sources. The last generation MX-6 was the best looking. To me it was far better looking than the Probe. There were good and bad points on the GM four. The Beretta was hampered with some Cavalier parts & engines. The Grand Am wide ribbed body bumpers was just too much. Buick and Olds were upscale without looking like an old man's car. The Quad4 was a quick engine. My sister loved stop light racing until the first time she blew the gasket.

Today there are hardly any coupes around anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:19 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
I miss my first car - a 1986 Celica GTS with an all-red interior.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,158 times
The late 80s/early 90s Chrysler LeBaron coupe was pretty popular in my area at the time.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM

7,145 posts, read 7,584,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Today there are hardly any coupes around anymore.
With virtually every car maker coming out of bankruptcy they can no longer afford to make niche cars.

I had a '93 240SX notchback. Easily the most fun car I have owned. The wife had a '00 Celica GT. That car was a go-kart.

Anymore though, those cars just arent profitable enough to mass produce. That is why all cars are 4 door with sport variants of those cars.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
With virtually every car maker coming out of bankruptcy they can no longer afford to make niche cars.

I had a '93 240SX notchback. Easily the most fun car I have owned. The wife had a '00 Celica GT. That car was a go-kart.

Anymore though, those cars just arent profitable enough to mass produce. That is why all cars are 4 door with sport variants of those cars.
What's crazy is those coupes with the "performance" engine had higher insurance rates and yet today's midsize family sedan base engines would leave them in the dust. The V6 or turbo midsize family sedans would blow their doors off.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:14 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,017,252 times
I'm sure they wouldn't be as fun with the added weight of current safety requirements but the late 80s/early 90s Preludes, 240zxs and Celicas were fun little cars. The last of that ilk seemed to be the mid 90s Integras. After that styling, weight, warmed over designs seemed to lessen the impact.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:39 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
There are still a small number of 2 door coupes, just not as many, true. Same with the sporty 2 door hatchbacks. Not as many in the US as in the rest of the world.

And Nissan recently discontinued the Altima coupe.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
How exactly are we defining a coupe here? A 2-door car that is based on a longer sedan version?

Then in that case, the Mustang falls under that definition. Technically the chassis was used until 2004 even though the 80's had body parts and drivetrain parts that would directly swap between the 4-door Fox chassis cars and the Mustang.

Which is a 2-door version of this

Infiniti had the G35 and G37 sedan/coupe which were identical drivetrain/suspension/interior but in a 2 and 4 door configuration. They still continue to this day but are technically two different models now with Infiniti's new naming convention. The G37 sedan is now the Q40 and the G37 coupe is now the Q60.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
How exactly are we defining a coupe here? A 2-door car that is based on a longer sedan version?

Then in that case, the Mustang falls under that definition.

Which is a 2-door version of this

Not really, as there were 2 door Fairmonts when the Fox Mustang came out:

And of course, the ORIGINAL Mustang was based on the Falcon chassis, and there were 2 door sedans and 2 door coupes of them, as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:21 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,279,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Not really, as there were 2 door Fairmonts when the Fox Mustang came out:

This is one of my favorite non Mustang Fox cars, especially with the LTD front clip. I had a 78 Futura that I traded in on my 87 Mustang. Sorry to see it go, and wish I could have kept it. If I ever win the lottery I will have a duplicate in Medium Cabernet Red. And possibly make it a Durango - Ranchero version. Oh, and a nice LTD LX to drive the family around in. A 4 door Fox LTD, 2 door Fox Mustang and a Fox Futura pickup! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive