Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Armour all will make things shiny but slippery. It is not a good idea for seats, steering wheels or foot pedals.
WD40 I always thought the WD stood for Water Dispersion so it is like a light oil that will keep water from getting to metal but it does wear off. I have had WD40 gum up certain small gears so watch out. It is a general overall lubricant but if you want penetrating oil get penetrating oil.
With any chemical cleaner like purple power you will want to try it on small out of the way spot in case it doesn't react the way you want it to.

Follow the directions when applying this stuff.
That's what "WD" stands for, Water Displacement number 40, it's also a degreaser, and can be used as a mild sealant. It does dry out, and evaporate, but it leaves a coating, and absorbs in to metal, which is why it has mild lubricating properties. The reason it gummed them up was it broke down the grease, it's thinner than water, I use it to clean grease off my hand before I wash them, when I'm working at the bike co-op.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:21 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
That's what "WD" stands for, Water Displacement number 40, it's also a degreaser, and can be used as a mild sealant. It does dry out, and evaporate, but it leaves a coating, and absorbs in to metal, which is why it has mild lubricating properties. The reason it gummed them up was it broke down the grease, it's thinner than water, I use it to clean grease off my hand before I wash them, when I'm working at the bike co-op.
jajaj thank you no seriously would wash and wax anywhere work from meguiars

Old 11-27-2014, 07:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
The bearings in the wheels will probably not be the kind where you can take the shield off without damaging and ruining it.

Dont even try to get the shields off, youre better off getting new Bones Reds or something.

I have used WD40 to clean bearings and soak them, but never to lubricate them unless the bearings were frozen or just already in bad shape.

I know Bones bearings makes a lubricant called Speed Cream. This stuff is really good but if you buy new bearings you wont need it for a while. I could be way wrong here but I think the Speed Cream is nothing more than paraffin oil and/or Teflon lube..

Bearings on the fork stem will need an actual grease, like bearing grease or something of that nature.. Can be found at an auto store.

As far as detailing goes. Dont Razors have a semi gloss sort of finish? You can probably use fine steel wool and a scotch brite pad.

This will probably leave directional lines when you do it so try it somewhere the isnt easily visible.

Although I do feel like a very fine steel wool will take any dirt off and give it a slight shine without leaving marks.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
The bearings in the wheels will probably not be the kind where you can take the shield off without damaging and ruining it.

Dont even try to get the shields off, youre better off getting new Bones Reds or something.

I have used WD40 to clean bearings and soak them, but never to lubricate them unless the bearings were frozen or just already in bad shape.

I know Bones bearings makes a lubricant called Speed Cream. This stuff is really good but if you buy new bearings you wont need it for a while. I could be way wrong here but I think the Speed Cream is nothing more than paraffin oil and/or Teflon lube..

Bearings on the fork stem will need an actual grease, like bearing grease or something of that nature.. Can be found at an auto store.

As far as detailing goes. Dont Razors have a semi gloss sort of finish? You can probably use fine steel wool and a scotch brite pad.

This will probably leave directional lines when you do it so try it somewhere the isnt easily visible.

Although I do feel like a very fine steel wool will take any dirt off and give it a slight shine without leaving marks.
Thanks although not so much that I know from here.i can still get help on my own
So you're bearing can be found at auto parts stores like Walmart tire and lube express,sams club tire and battery,oreily auto parts,Napa auto parts,advance auto parts,autozone or pep boys?if so to go buy one next time I'm in any of those places

Old 12-24-2014, 03:16 PM

32 posts, read 26,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Thanks although not so much that I know from here.i can still get help on my own
So you're bearing can be found at auto parts stores like Walmart tire and lube express,sams club tire and battery,oreily auto parts,Napa auto parts,advance auto parts,autozone or pep boys?if so to go buy one next time I'm in any of those places
I am retty sure they sell them in those places.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Water Displacement is the job that WD40 does best. It was developed for the aerospace industry. It took 40 tries to get there but they were able to find a product that worked. What a success story. For decades the company only produced a single product and sold $100million in product each year. They do also produce a silicone based lubricant as well.

You can use WD40 to loosen everything up, give old grease a second chance. I ususally do that untill I can tear apart what ever I am working on at the time. As a lubricant it is a light lubricant but the lubricating properties will not last as long as other products. Use it to get something going but don't expect it to continue getting the job done. Realize that butter or margarine can lubricare bearings but they will also break down over time.

I make my own mixture from a few differant products to get the consistancy that I want for bearings. I am dealing with heavy doors that have hindges with bearings on them. The consistancy that you will want would be differant for a skate board, skooter, or bike. You can find things on the market or you can play around and mix differant things together. It is a bit of trial and error but a lot of fun.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
By the way Luciano,

I love your laugh, jajaja. LOL Then again I am married to a Mexican so we speak Spanish around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive