U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 PM

12,579 posts, read 12,813,305 times

Advertisements

"You need to know all of the automobile dealer terminology and automobile dealer slang before stepping foot into a showroom. An informed buyer is often a car dealer’s worst nightmare. That’s because automobile dealer slang is the way car dealers speak to one another in a shorthand sort of fashion, but they speak directly to you very differently. What they are saying behind your back can be a real eye opener. Here are some of the terms from an actual car dealer slang dictionary."

I stopped reading here. The whole idea of talking behind a person's back is for them not to find out what is being said about them. So if the dealers are using these slang terms behind your back you wouldn't know what the hell they are saying about you anyway.
Stupid article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 AM

2,907 posts, read 2,517,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
"You need to know all of the automobile dealer terminology and automobile dealer slang before stepping foot into a showroom. An informed buyer is often a car dealerís worst nightmare. Thatís because automobile dealer slang is the way car dealers speak to one another in a shorthand sort of fashion, but they speak directly to you very differently. What they are saying behind your back can be a real eye opener. Here are some of the terms from an actual car dealer slang dictionary."

I stopped reading here. The whole idea of talking behind a person's back is for them not to find out what is being said about them. So if the dealers are using these slang terms behind your back you wouldn't know what the hell they are saying about you anyway.
Stupid article.
You missed the point of the article. What I got from the read was these slangs and phrases ARE used around consumers so they wouldn't have an idea what they were really talking about. Reading is fundamental

Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 AM

2,990 posts, read 4,887,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You would think that such an unnecessary enterprise such as is the NADA and its constituents would be motivated to provide the best customer experience as possible. Yet consistently they do not and only manage to perpetuate their existence through political lobbying, not through consumer choice.

Factory direct, please.
As far as the buying experience, factory direct sounds good, but I wonder about warranty service? What about recalls? If factory-direct sales were allowed, I imagine a lot of dealers would vanish.

My primary gripe with new-car dealers, is that their business model has changed little in the last 50 years. Oh, sure, there's the internet, but all that gets you at many shops, is a listing of vehicles that are (or were) in their inventory, along with the msrp. Try to deal via email, and all you'll get is an invitation to come in, sit down, and they'll see what they can do. Or, in some cases, no response at all. The only place some of these dealers will advertise discounted prices, is on the selected vehicles listed in their newspaper ad.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:51 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,654,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
You missed the point of the article. What I got from the read was these slangs and phrases ARE used around consumers so they wouldn't have an idea what they were really talking about. Reading is fundamental
Thats ridiculous. If someone uses slang in front of you to disguise what they are saying why in the hell would you do business with them?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 AM

13,205 posts, read 7,423,414 times
This article is much ado about nothing. Many professions use slang. So what? And anyone why things car salesman are completely honest has been living under a rock. That's why I hate buying cars and only do it when the one I'm driving craters. Then I go to the dealership, check the Kelley Blue Book value on whicheer one I like, read every word of the contract to make sure it's accurate, and refuse to allow high pressure sales tactics and sneaky upcharges. Don't let the car salemen/dealers get the upper hand.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This article is much ado about nothing. Many professions use slang. So what? And anyone why things car salesman are completely honest has been living under a rock. That's why I hate buying cars and only do it when the one I'm driving craters. Then I go to the dealership, check the Kelley Blue Book value on whicheer one I like, read every word of the contract to make sure it's accurate, and refuse to allow high pressure sales tactics and sneaky upcharges. Don't let the car salemen/dealers get the upper hand.
lol, sounds like the right approach but I doubt many folks exercise this type of caution. Most of the population hates the dealership experience, yours truly included, and for good reason.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Thats ridiculous. If someone uses slang in front of you to disguise what they are saying why in the hell would you do business with them?
Why do sleazy car salesmen do a lot of the things they do? Perhaps because they feel it gives them the upper hand as is most likely the case here. Just my .002

Old 11-11-2014, 03:18 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,408,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is slang for a reason. Chances are, the common customer isn't going to know what it means so they won't know it is derogatory towards them.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It is slang for a reason. Chances are, the common customer isn't going to know what it means so they won't know it is derogatory towards them.
Finally, someone that gets it....haha.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,686,634 times
If I were subjected to any of this sleazy BS, MY BACK, as I walk away, would be my only response.

Thankfully . . . not all Car Salesmen are dirtbags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive