U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 06:08 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times

Advertisements

OK, so I read through the list and the vast majority of them have nothing whatsoever to do with describing the customer, and even many that do aren't particularly disparaging. What's more, many of these slang terms are not even industry-specific (Nobody's heard an old beater referred to as a "sled" before? ). So I don't really get the outrage here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 AM

15,172 posts, read 15,210,720 times
I cannot stand most sales people.

I liken them to the little kids in Tijuana who bug the h3ll outta you, trying to sell you a box of Chiclets.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,191,475 times
If I had used any of those terms in front of a customer, with a few exceptions, I would have been canned that day. Furthermore, I think I heard about a third of those terms when I was at the dealer.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It is slang for a reason. Chances are, the common customer isn't going to know what it means so they won't know it is derogatory towards them.
It is unprofessional. Why would you deal with people who are trying to confuse and hide things in front of you by using terms you don't understand? Most of the terms there are not derogatory. This is a stupid non story.

Would you go to a doctor or hire a lawyer who talked over your head with medical/law terms or jargon or slang that they picked up in med/law school? Maybe they just smirk at you and roll their eyes when you ask what they are talking about? Does that sound like a good experience to you?
Do you think its cute for a realtor to do something like this? I'm sure they have their own cadre of slang terms too.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,580,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Factory direct will never happen because the auto industry is protected by state franchise laws! The stealerships are de-facto oligopolists with their own cadre of lawyers & lobbyists who're highly effective in quashing any attack against their fiefdoms. Just look at the troubles Tesla has been having in various states... it's very much akin to the 3-tier distribution statutes that govern alcohol sales.
Very observant and accurate. The one positive that has happened to the automobile industry is the establishment of online automobile listing and sales. People always disliked the haggling needed to be done on both new and used vehicle purchases but they felt like they had no choice. Now we all have lots of choices. You can identify a particular vehicle online and make a phone call or email offer and be done with the experience relatively painlessly. It is even more painless if you don't have a trade-in to concern yourself and you have already gone to your bank for financing. My latest vehicle purchase went nearly flawlessly because of yet another reason... I found a way to get non-negotiable affiliated pricing (which had associated limits on extra fees/charges) so that the typical ways Dealerships bump up what they earn couldn't be used.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,636,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Very observant and accurate. The one positive that has happened to the automobile industry is the establishment of online automobile listing and sales. People always disliked the haggling needed to be done on both new and used vehicle purchases but they felt like they had no choice. Now we all have lots of choices. You can identify a particular vehicle online and make a phone call or email offer and be done with the experience relatively painlessly. It is even more painless if you don't have a trade-in to concern yourself and you have already gone to your bank for financing. My latest vehicle purchase went nearly flawlessly because of yet another reason... I found a way to get non-negotiable affiliated pricing (which had associated limits on extra fees/charges) so that the typical ways Dealerships bump up what they earn couldn't be used.
The dealears have a lot of political clout because of the people that own them are millionaires. But the automakers have controll over the dealers.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,820,134 times
So many of you are missing a few glaring revelations in this. Fist of all, most of those terms are only used by the dealership personnel in the back office or the bar after work. They are not going to discuss with or around customers topics such as "pack" or "rate sheet" that mean nothing to the average member of the public. The idea that this is somehow degrading to the customer is absurd. The customer has no idea this exists in most cases, and if they did, it would not be known by these terms.

Additionally, this is not an article or editorial, this is an advertisement for a law firm! If you want to discuss a "slasher trying to flip the flake before they come out of the ether", perhaps this fine example of the legal profession is just about right?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,732,007 times
The article is also written in such a way as to present everything in the most negative possible light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive