U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Mount Dora, FL
2,906 posts, read 2,514,688 times
Reputation: 1355

Advertisements

I ran across an interesting article today and this is precisely why I despise Dealerships...Sure, not all salesmen techniques are as atrocious as the one's outlined here, but this list is something else. This should be motivation to anyone who thinks they can walk into a dealership and win the battle. Homework and research is pivotal in a Car purchase.

Car Dealership Dictionary of Automobile Dealer Terminology - Automobile Dealer Slang, Automobile Dealer Terminology, Car Dealer Slang, Car Dealership Dictionary, Car Dealer Terms, Slang For Car Dealers | Burdge Law Office
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,011,854 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I ran across an interesting article today and this is precisely why I despise Dealerships...Sure, not all salesmen techniques are as atrocious as the one's outlined here, but this list is something else. This should be motivation to anyone who thinks they can walk into a dealership and win the battle. Homework and research is pivotal in a Car purchase.

Car Dealership Dictionary of Automobile Dealer Terminology - Automobile Dealer Slang, Automobile Dealer Terminology, Car Dealer Slang, Car Dealership Dictionary, Car Dealer Terms, Slang For Car Dealers | Burdge Law Office
You would think that such an unnecessary enterprise such as is the NADA and its constituents would be motivated to provide the best customer experience as possible. Yet consistently they do not and only manage to perpetuate their existence through political lobbying, not through consumer choice.

Factory direct, please.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 4,429,284 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You would think that such an unnecessary enterprise such as is the NADA and its constituents would be motivated to provide the best customer experience as possible. Yet consistently they do not and only manage to perpetuate their existence through political lobbying, not through consumer choice.

Factory direct, please.
Factory direct will never happen because the auto industry is protected by state franchise laws! The stealerships are de-facto oligopolists with their own cadre of lawyers & lobbyists who're highly effective in quashing any attack against their fiefdoms. Just look at the troubles Tesla has been having in various states... it's very much akin to the 3-tier distribution statutes that govern alcohol sales.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM
 
Location: East TX
2,085 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Reputation: 3175
People love to jump on Dealers and auto industry for unscrupulous behavior but forget how many customers fail to be honest when trading or selling. "Buyers are liars" is a reality. "Only drove it to church and bingo" is more often told to the dealer than to the buyers when these transactions are going down.

It is always buyer beware when making any significant purchase and regardless of buying from a dealer or from a private party, due diligence is always required. The fact that there is slang in the auto industry is only interesting because people have a fear of purchases that are this large. The fact is, such slang exists in many industries such as retail, fast food, college admissions, police, fire departments, and even not-for-profits. "Ambulance chasers" just don't put them on their websites.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Mount Dora, FL
2,906 posts, read 2,514,688 times
Reputation: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
People love to jump on Dealers and auto industry for unscrupulous behavior but forget how many customers fail to be honest when trading or selling. "Buyers are liars" is a reality. "Only drove it to church and bingo" is more often told to the dealer than to the buyers when these transactions are going down.

It is always buyer beware when making any significant purchase and regardless of buying from a dealer or from a private party, due diligence is always required. The fact that there is slang in the auto industry is only interesting because people have a fear of purchases that are this large. The fact is, such slang exists in many industries such as retail, fast food, college admissions, police, fire departments, and even not-for-profits. "Ambulance chasers" just don't put them on their websites.

That's alot of slang and much of it not very nice...goes to show many of these so called sales "professionals" don't think very much of the customer. An informed consumer is a much smarter one. Level the playing field.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Mount Dora, FL
2,906 posts, read 2,514,688 times
Reputation: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You would think that such an unnecessary enterprise such as is the NADA and its constituents would be motivated to provide the best customer experience as possible. Yet consistently they do not and only manage to perpetuate their existence through political lobbying, not through consumer choice.

Factory direct, please.
v

I doubt that happens anytime soon. Wasnt Telsa just shutdown for trying to sell direct in Michigan?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,520 posts, read 8,605,050 times
Reputation: 6033
Even if you could buy directly from the factory, you would still have to pay the 'transportation' fee. If you go to a Chevy dealer to buy a Vette but go to the factory to pick it up, you still pay the carrier fee. Union rules.
Bottom three least trusted professions- cars sales, real estate sales, lawyers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 06:59 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
I started read the words and stop. Back end;does anyone think they would for bank free? I mean slang is used to describe many thinsg in many busiensses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,011,854 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Even if you could buy directly from the factory, you would still have to pay the 'transportation' fee. If you go to a Chevy dealer to buy a Vette but go to the factory to pick it up, you still pay the carrier fee. Union rules.
Manufacturer would just ship to a factory outlet or to distributors (dealers) that manage to survive in a truly open market, just as the way any other product is sold in the civilized world. If people think a dealer can offer them something extra, then they are free to spend their extra time and money to find that out. I choose to decline.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,011,854 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
People love to jump on Dealers and auto industry for unscrupulous behavior but forget how many customers fail to be honest when trading or selling. "Buyers are liars" is a reality. "Only drove it to church and bingo" is more often told to the dealer than to the buyers when these transactions are going down.
Then they should free themselves from the burden of dealing with liars, no? Apparently, it is more profitable to stoop lower than the integrity of the "lying" customer. So worth the effort in fact, that they have corrupted a significant segment of our economy to force their existence upon us.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top