U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,440,289 times

Advertisements

We live in Florida, and this vehicle was only driven here with the exception of one winter when drove to DC/NYC to visit some friends for about a week. That was 2 years ago tho...this pronounced smell problem hasn't happened until this year around spring I want to guess, I don't remember exactly...I think the engine light came on in June or July this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 AM

BTW I don't have a choice of not driving it...we have no public transit in Florida, and I can't get another car right now. Unless you know some miracle by which stay at home moms can get cars without an income?

I know I am totally screwed with this stupid car...

Is this something my husband can fix? how hard is it to get to these parts? and are these parts those kinds than can only be ordered/handled by the manufacturer?

He replaced my radiator a few months back, and I remember him cursing at this stupid car and how inaccessible things are....had to demolish the entire front to get the radiator out and the new one in...he has a '99 Jeep and it's awesome; got it not that long ago, but it is easy to fix because the engine parts are "right there"...

How complicated would this be for him to fix?

I want to call Autozone and ask for price quotes, so which one do you think should be addressed first?

Thank you.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM

OK GUYS!...It seems that since I changed the gas cap, and put a brand new on it, the smell is gone....
Now, just the engine light remains to be addressed...

Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,363,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OK GUYS!...It seems that since I changed the gas cap, and put a brand new on it, the smell is gone....
If the gas cap was causing the codes, you should be able to reset the check engine light (either briefly disconnect the battery or pull an ECU fuse) and not have it return. If it returns then you know you still have issues. The pessimist in me thinks there's something else but if it's as simple as a gas cap then good for you.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM

8,845 posts, read 9,086,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Go to Autozone.

Have them take the code reader out for you and check the codes and tell you the code number. Then ask them to erase the code.

Tell us the number, and then cross your fingers the check engine light doesn't come back on again

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

OK! I'll do that....

Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 PM

8,277 posts, read 6,122,648 times
Neither problem is a critical problem if Florida doesn't have emissions testing.

Evap problem is just basically that you're venting gas to the atmosphere somewhere.

Cat code is that the emissions coming out the tailpipe aren't optimal..

But.. Just the fact that you're throwing the codes doesn't mean you're headed towards a bigger failure or that you can't drive it. I had a cat separate from the case and rattling around.. I pulled the cat, busted the catalyst out of it, put it back on. Ran great for another 50k miles until it went head first into an interstate cable barrier. And actually ran fine after that, but..

Old 11-12-2014, 04:21 PM

OK...I might have spoke too soon...but it does smell a LOT less than it used to...

No, we don't have that inspection here...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 PM

8,277 posts, read 6,122,648 times
Park somewhere you'll notice anything leaking. Make sure you're not actually leaking fuel.. Which I doubt you are.. And just continue on. Every 6 months or so, get the codes read, make sure there are no new ones.

If there are 2 separate problems, which I suspect.. The evap one.. Unless a fuel line completely separates.. Shouldn't hurt you.

The exhaust/cat code.. Probably a leak in the exhaust somewhere.. Eventually that will get bigger and you'll start hearing the car get louder and louder.. At which point it'll be a whole lot easier to diagnose. Or, it could happen all at once.

My truck was throwing the Cat Bank 1 code for a year.. Then I started noticing a resonance at about 1600-2000 rpms.. Then about 6 months after that.. The exhaust manifold basically fell apart. My truck has 2 cats.. One directly off the exhaust, one in the normal location.. What happened is that the exhaust manifold's built-in cat separated from the exhaust manifold.. I had apparently had a small crack in it for 18 months that finally just worked itself into breaking entirely. Made a hell of a racket, but still drove fine. Though, had to get that fixed or i'd have gotten nailed for a noise ordinance..

Just make sure you're not actually leaking fuel. That would be dangerous. But, i'd be shocked if you were.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM

There is no leak on the ground. The only thing leaking is the AC in the front after I stop the car. However, someone told me that's normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive