U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,772,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I will take my stock SUV against any "normal car like a ford taurus" anyday.

You need to research before throwing blanket statements out there like that. SUV's arent all like you might have been thinking of lol
Then they're not real SUVs, as in like a Ford Expedition etc. A typical SUV like an Expedition, there is NO WAY it can handle and corner like even a normal car. They certainly aren't what a rational person would choose if sports car qualities is what they're looking for. (If they're looking for something that can go off-road, then I would figure they got just the right thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM

9,010 posts, read 14,244,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Then they're not real SUVs, as in like a Ford Expedition etc. A typical SUV like an Expedition, there is NO WAY it can handle and corner like even a normal car. They certainly aren't what a rational person would choose if sports car qualities is what they're looking for. (If they're looking for something that can go off-road, then I would figure they got just the right thing.)
Lets be careful what we are defining here as a real SUV. These days, SUV's are varied greatly and have tons of different attributes. Behemoths like an Expedition, or rock crawlers like a Wrangler Rubicon are just one narrow focus of what the modern SUV is.

I have driven down a mountain road in a Kia Optima, and pushing it as hard as was safe could not keep up with a Jeep Wrangler. Anecdotal I know, but even in this extreme example the true "SUV" was no slug on a curvy road next to the modern midsize sedan.

Sometimes drivetrain alone can affect this a lot. Midsize sedans often resort to understeer even when pushed mildly around a turn, where some SUV's which are RWD, or have true full time AWD may be able to be pushed harder through turns as the drivetrain can be used to mitigate understeer or even cause some oversteer. Ultimately, this can also make them fun to drive too, like a sports car, because their handling prowess in turns can be positively influenced through adding power to the turn, where as most FWD cars it would just push them farther wide of the turn or scrub the front tires further.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

148 posts, read 339,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Until its time to load the groceries into that Matchbox car, right? I remembering having to jump start a Miata once, and we had to pop the trunk to get to the battery, and we just laughed at how the trunk was.
I owned a few sports cars, smallest being a Triumph Spitfire. My ex-bf and I could easily fit a weeks worth of groceries. Both take weekend bags on short roads trips. The space was adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Bingo - That's why I have a Miata. Even a grocery run is entertaining!

In general, I don't need a big vehicle. Besides the occasional passenger, it's usually only me. I don't intend to have kids, so a sports car is a practical choice for me. I don't need a bigger car, that a majority of the benefits would go unused. Plus being a sports car is easy to drive day-to-day and in emergency situations.

If I need to move a large peace of furniture, I could rent a truck with insurance for $20-30 or say $50 with fuel/taxes. But I would rather pay $50 to a college kid with a truck to move it for me.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,132,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the point of buying a sport car in the US when you can't drive faster than 65-75MPH on the highway?
There's states that you'll get a ticket for peeling off or speeding up too fast

So what's the point of spending $100,000 on a sport car that can do 200MPH but you can't go pass 75MPH?
This stands out to me because I grew up in a country that doesn't have speed limits (ok... they have them, but nobody obeys them)

"sport" does not always mean "speed".

Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,580,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Out in the real world, one does not have to drive reckless, break laws, or otherwise be dumb to enjoy the tactile feel and dynamics of a car.
To me there is nothing more boring than driving a sports car at legal speeds and/or in a manner which would not attract the attention of police.

For public roads, give me something more comfortable with good visibility and plenty of power to pass.

I'm always being held up in the corners in my gigantic 8,000lb diesel truck. That's frustrating enough, but at least I can get around them with ease (unlike the miata I used to own). A sports car to me is only entertaining when I'm into the tires slip angles. That's where sport cars shine. That's also where you loose your licence and maybe even go to jail for a bit. That's also where a little bit of gravel in the wrong place might kill you or someone else.

If you can enjoy cruising along at legal speeds in your sports car then, that's great (really). To me it's a waste of money and a source of constant frustration (other drivers).

Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,630,363 times
Quote:
What the point of buying a sport car in the US when you can't drive faster than 65-75MPH on the highway?

So what's the point of spending $100,000 on a sport car that can do 200MPH but you can't go pass 75MPH?
This stands out to me because I grew up in a country that doesn't have speed limits (ok... they have them, but nobody obeys them)

I drive to work at 80-100 mph everyday, as do many of the other vehicles on the road.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,580,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree, car enthusiasts get it. Plus this is a big country and not every mile of it is urban. Around here we have plenty country and rural roads where you can really let your sports car open up.
I live in the mountains in a rural area. It's infested with police and I must see at least six cops a day. In fact I just got pulled over about an hour ago for going 73 in a 65 zone. Just got a warning as usual but you really have to keep to no more than 5 over.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

4,240 posts, read 6,209,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

So what is your definition on a "real" suv?

I dont have an expedition. I have a BMW X5M. It will out corner many sports cars and certainly almost every "normal" on the road today. It has 555 HP and 500lb tq. My wife has raced a MB up to 150 and yes she won. I have taken it to the 1/4 track and had a blast all day.

It seats 5, has a hatch in the back and can carry lots of luggage and dog toys.

So again, do a little research before you throw blanket statements out there.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM

9,010 posts, read 14,244,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
To me there is nothing more boring than driving a sports car at legal speeds and/or in a manner which would not attract the attention of police.

For public roads, give me something more comfortable with good visibility and plenty of power to pass.

I'm always being held up in the corners in my gigantic 8,000lb diesel truck. That's frustrating enough, but at least I can get around them with ease (unlike the miata I used to own). A sports car to me is only entertaining when I'm into the tires slip angles. That's where sport cars shine. That's also where you loose your licence and maybe even go to jail for a bit. That's also where a little bit of gravel in the wrong place might kill you or someone else.

If you can enjoy cruising along at legal speeds in your sports car then, that's great (really). To me it's a waste of money and a source of constant frustration (other drivers).
I understand your point, and do feel that some cars are "too much" to be fun at normal speeds. Guess that is how I ended up with the sports car that I have. It doesn't have to be driven as fast to get entertainment out of it.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:23 PM

25,387 posts, read 16,339,456 times
Quote:

Sadly, I've come to agree. That's why I have off-highway vehicles that can still be operated at a higher pace where there are a lot fewer LEOs and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or