Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times

Advertisements

1968 had a lot of nice cars and these are my 10 favorites:

Olds 98
Cadillac DeVille/Fleetwood
Cadillac Eldorado
Lincoln Continental
Plymouth Sport Fury
Plymouth Roadrunner
BMW e3 2500/2800 sedans
Audi 100
VW squareback
Mercedes 280 SE

I think 1968 was the last good year for the Cadillac DeVilles. My favorite years for that model was 1961 to 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
1968 had a lot of nice cars and these are my 10 favorites:

Olds 98
Cadillac DeVille/Fleetwood
Cadillac Eldorado
Lincoln Continental
Plymouth Sport Fury
Plymouth Roadrunner
BMW e3 2500/2800 sedans
Audi 100
VW squareback
Mercedes 280 SE

I think 1968 was the last good year for the Cadillac DeVilles. My favorite years for that model was 1961 to 1968.
For me I consider 1973 to be the last great year for the Cadillac Deville.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That is '65 or '66, but more or less equivalent in design to a '68.
Now that you mention it, it does look like a '65.

That photo was from a neighbor's brochure. I think I'll ask to see it again.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:27 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Now that you mention it, it does look like a '65.

That photo was from a neighbor's brochure. I think I'll ask to see it again.
About 35 years ago, one of my parents' neighbors had a 1966 or a 1967 Cadillac, if I remember correctly it was a Sedan Deville and it looked very similar to the one shown in a picture posted in a previous message.

My personal favorite Cadillac model from the 1968 model year, the Eldorado.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Fleetwood Brougham
Imperial
Deville
Toronado
98 Luxury Sedan
Continental
in that order...

For the Brougham, I think that's the very best year in the car's entire history. The lines are flawless, and the interiors flawless. As late as the mid-Nineties, there was a very old lady in our part of town, who had one in that gorgeous aqua color, with a white top. It was in great shape, and I'd see her at a shopping center built in the Sixties, that I'm sure she'd been frequenting since it was new. I'm sure she lived in a modernish ranch house in a Sixties neighborhood, and was barely getting by, financially. But, even in that snooty part of town, in that car, she still looked like a VIP. She looked absolutely REGAL, creeping through the parking lot of Maywood Mart at 1MPH. It was a timeless design. And, of course, the quality of the car was without equal. Rolls Royce only DREAMED of building something so fine. The picnic tables and footrests and reading lamps in a '68 Brougham made those in a Rolls Royce Phantom look like something that had been done as a jalopy project by a boys' high school shop class.

Imperial's interior for that year was so mysterious, with those compartments hiding the functions built into the dash. And the exterior made the car look like a bank on wheels - a bank whose Trust Department handled the best families in town.

The Deville was really beautiful that year, too. A close friend half-a-generation older than me has told me about a crucial episode in his life, when he was 14, and nearly bullied to death in a public school. He had found an old concrete anchor, and was preparing to drown himself in the lake in front of the family's farm. But a glamorous aunt picked him up that friday, to spend the weekend with her family in town. It had been a particularly bad day in that school filled with violent rural white trash, and his self esteem was completely gone. He was so depressed he could barely move. He'd been told by grandparents at home, peers, teachers, 'administrators', that he was less than zero... all day... all week. But there was his beautiful aunt, in a brand-new '68 Deville she'd gotten just that morning (baby blue, & a black vinyl top). "It was like being pulled out of my living hell, and driven away, to my REAL WORLD, in that incredible car. The happy surprise of that car, at that moment, was like applying electroshock to someone whose heart has stopped. It very well may have been what saved me."

And I remember the Toronado from that year. Quite a singularly beautiful car. I was only two or three when it was made, but by the time I was old enough to appreciate fine things, those cars were old enough for people in our backwoods mudhole to afford them. One of Mama's johns had one. The grille was distinctive (like a giant piece of Art Deco jewelry), and so I know that was the year. Mama was a lush and falling apart. But she loved her work, and excelled at it. Some beautiful young men were among her regulars. The guy with the Toronado was really fine. Half-Indian like the rest of us, he was in the looks bracket with Channing Tatum and Gary Taylor - maybe not quite as muscular, although he'd been a local football hero... but he had a nice moustache - and fine black cowboy boots, and a big buckle. And he had a nice leather baseball jacket. He smelled good, and was sweet to me, waiting on Mama to get ready, so he could drive her farther out in the woods and do her. I'd explore that car's interior. It was jazzy and hard, compared to the insides of the Cadillacs I perused. The sound of the power windows was exciting to me. But that gorgeous grille...

In Mississippi, Nice People did not drive Cadillacs (The aunt of my friend whose life was saved by that Deville had, in order to save her family from impoverishment, married the son of a prosperous criminal, and had had the Cadillac 'foisted upon her'. She considered it a gauche embarrassment.). That was true across much of America. Electras and 98s were what Nice People drove (and if you went to a Methodist or Presbyterian Church, or a Reform Temple, you'd see elderly ladies getting into Electras and 'Luxury Sedans', and being driven like Miss Daisy). If you think of that moment at the end of Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, when Bette Davis is being driven away in that GORGEOUS black '64 Electra http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...920c2c9752.jpg, you'll understand just how good a lady could look in one of those cars. http://pics.imcdb.org/0is832/vlcsnap...31m51.3791.jpg Anyway, the '68 was arguably the best year of all, for that car. The lines were at peak refinement, and the hump at the C-pillar (as with the Deville and the Fleetwood) looked like the haunches of a powerful horse (and allowed for a stately, tall back seat). Interiors were quite plush, and at top trim levels rivaled the Fleetwood Brougham in limousine-like appointments.

As for the Conti... What can I say? It's one more year from what was probably the most timelessly beautiful series of any car, ever: although '68 may not have been the peak year.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 AM

211 posts, read 409,268 times
If this was for several years either way my picks would be much easier, something about a lot of the 68 models just don't do it for me, but here are the one's I would actually like to own and drive

Rambler American with a 290 4b and 4 spd
Dodge Dart GTS
Plymouth Barracuda
Mercury Montego 2dr hardtop
Mercury Park Lane convertible or hardtop
Chevy Corvair
Ford Bronco
Jeep Super Wagoneer
Jeep J series truck

Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Charger R/T
Impala SS
Catalina 2+2
Buick Riviera
El Dorado
Grand Prix
Galaxie XL
Olds 98
Olds Delta
Olds 442

And if available, would have to have a 4 speed manual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive