U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
961 posts, read 1,752,370 times
Reputation: 951

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Cars barely come in any colors nowadays. Go find a car paint color chip sheet from 1956 or 1957. Those are colors.

There has been a wave of white the last year or two. But we live in a world of obedient silver-grey and pretentious black.

Now that's a hell of a spectrum of choice: Black - Grey - White.
I don't agree with your statement about cars barely coming in any colors now at all. There are definitely more color choices available than black, grey and white (although I did read somewhere that white is now the most popular car color). GM has offered a burnt orange color on several of its models, including the Chevy HHR and the Corvette. It's not unusual to see yellow or red Corvettes on the road (the "Cake Boss" was recently arrested in NYC while driving a yellow corvette). The Honda CR-V comes in 2 shades of brown, a plum color, and a shade of light green they call "Mountain Air". There are 10 color choices available for the 2015 Ford Mustang, including yellow, 2 shades of red, bright blue and orange: 2015 Ford Mustang | View 360° Demos & Choose Colors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,497,192 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
For the most part, it's good not to stand out and call attention to yourself. Even the most ridiculous, Type A people I know drive white, silver and black cars that blend in with everything else on the road.
I disagree and have had no problems with bright colors, which is why my Comet is getting painted bright sunrise pearl yellow. I've had bright red, bright yellow, and multi colored cars with no issues. Some examples of my old cars:











I've already posted my Comet in this thread, and I loved driving this thing around this past spring while getting it prepped for my brother in law to drive from here to Florida, where it's his daily driver:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,497,192 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I just don't like the loud crazy colors they are coming out with these days. I saw a new 2015 mustang in bright yellow, a new challenger in a bright lime green, no thanks.
They are hearkening back to the colors they used to come in in the late '60s, early '70s...











Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: sumter
7,230 posts, read 4,653,599 times
Reputation: 5901
Those colors look much better on the real classic cars though. Seem like they just go better with that era of muscle cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,331 posts, read 12,587,364 times
Reputation: 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I don't agree with your statement about cars barely coming in any colors now at all. There are definitely more color choices available than black, grey and white (although I did read somewhere that white is now the most popular car color). GM has offered a burnt orange color on several of its models, including the Chevy HHR and the Corvette. It's not unusual to see yellow or red Corvettes on the road (the "Cake Boss" was recently arrested in NYC while driving a yellow corvette). The Honda CR-V comes in 2 shades of brown, a plum color, and a shade of light green they call "Mountain Air". There are 10 color choices available for the 2015 Ford Mustang, including yellow, 2 shades of red, bright blue and orange: 2015 Ford Mustang | View 360° Demos & Choose Colors
Those are colors across many models.

For instance, the new Chevy Impalas come in 7 colors, three of which are varying shades of white/silver, almost the same color. Leaving you with a choice of more like only 4 colors.

And, no choice for an interior color at all......gray, that's it.

Not a lot of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
961 posts, read 1,752,370 times
Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Those are colors across many models.

For instance, the new Chevy Impalas come in 7 colors, three of which are varying shades of white/silver, almost the same color. Leaving you with a choice of more like only 4 colors.

And, no choice for an interior color at all......gray, that's it.

Not a lot of choice.
I was just giving a few examples of colors available on different cars off the top of my head, just to prove the point that there is more out there than silver, white, gray and black.

As for the Impala, the interior and exterior color choices available depend on which trim level you choose (LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1LTZ, 2LTZ). Looking at the build and price section, it looks like there are basically 3 interior color combos available at most, involving a combination of jet black with either black, a shade of gray, or a shade of brown (the gray and brown are called different things depending on the trim level).

I think you must've been looking at the LS trim when you said there are 7 colors for the new Impala.
The LT trims come in 11 colors, 3 of which are premium colors at extra cost. (The mid-priced LT trims are the most popular Impalas, therefore have the most color choices.)
The LTZ trims come in 9 colors, 2 of which are premium/extra cost colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,331 posts, read 12,587,364 times
Reputation: 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I was just giving a few examples of colors available on different cars off the top of my head, just to prove the point that there is more out there than silver, white, gray and black.

As for the Impala, the interior and exterior color choices available depend on which trim level you choose (LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1LTZ, 2LTZ). Looking at the build and price section, it looks like there are basically 3 interior color combos available at most, involving a combination of jet black with either black, a shade of gray, or a shade of brown (the gray and brown are called different things depending on the trim level).

I think you must've been looking at the LS trim when you said there are 7 colors for the new Impala.
The LT trims come in 11 colors, 3 of which are premium colors at extra cost. (The mid-priced LT trims are the most popular Impalas, therefore have the most color choices.)
The LTZ trims come in 9 colors, 2 of which are premium/extra cost colors.
You're right, I just checked the basic model, out of curiosity, since I have an Impala.

But, I have noticed, when you look at the newer cars on the road and in parking lots, they always seem to be black or various shades of silver or white.....not a lot of variety like you used to see.

Maybe it's that people just don't want to pay a premium to get different colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Vermont
10,097 posts, read 10,620,835 times
Reputation: 13445
It's not at all important to me. I would choose the color I prefer among a range of identical samples, but an identical car for thousands less based on the color? It's a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,022,308 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And the winner is….
I'm guessing this data is heavily influenced by fleet vehicles in which white is a popular color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,739 posts, read 21,795,564 times
Reputation: 27811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It's pretty unimportant to me unless, like the OP's example, it's really bazaar and fugly. When I bought my previous truck several years ago the salesman asked if I had any color preferences. I said no, anything but white. When we went out to the lot to look over the selection, the only one with the options I wanted was white and I took it. Last week, after 14 years, we finally replaced it. We first looked at a 2013 that was a deep blue, my wife's favorite color. We both liked it, but then we decided we'd get a new one. My wife said anything but white. The only thing the dealer had in the model I wanted was white. We got white again.
White vehicles have always chosen us, too. The last car I drove was white. The two other colors available were pretty ugly--weird purple blue and a red which was neither deep and rich looking nor bright. I currently drive a white car. The pickup truck is white. I guess it's better than an ugly color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top