U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM

3,057 posts, read 4,353,902 times

Advertisements

I refuse to drive a gunmetal gray/titanium colored car. I think they look fine - but they're basically the color of asphalt and I don't want a vehicle that disappears into the road in anything but bright sunshine (and a clean car). I can't count the times I've momentarily not seen a car of such color, especially when its dirty. They're exactly the color of the road.

My current car is a bright red metallic. Very visible. If I didn't have that color it would probably be a bright blue or white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:55 PM

951 posts, read 1,748,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I refuse to drive a gunmetal gray/titanium colored car. I think they look fine - but they're basically the color of asphalt and I don't want a vehicle that disappears into the road in anything but bright sunshine (and a clean car). I can't count the times I've momentarily not seen a car of such color, especially when its dirty. They're exactly the color of the road.

My current car is a bright red metallic. Very visible. If I didn't have that color it would probably be a bright blue or white.
The color of my last car was called "Dark Silver Metallic". Basically it was a gunmetal gray, as you said. Never really thought about it blending into the road, but I can see your point. I just thought it was a good, masculine color for a guy's car. It did hide the dirt more than some other colors I've had.

Don't get a white car! I have one now (first one I've ever had) and probably won't get one again. I tend to see more women than men driving white cars. Not only that, but it is very difficult to keep clean. In the summer, I've got to be wiping down the front end of the car and the mirrors daily to get rid of all of the bugs that hit it when driving. I notice the tree sap and tiny little black spots that fall onto the roof (from air pollution, I guess) more than ever before. Every little bit of dirt shows on it. Unless you enjoy spending a lot of time cleaning your car, don't buy a white one.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,107,380 times
But a white car is the best at hiding the micro marring and swirls you get from improperly washing car and constantly wiping paint down with dirty microfiber towels.

Black cars are the worst at showing swirls. But a clean swirl free car (almost impossible) will look best on black

Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM

5,917 posts, read 9,056,031 times
When I took traffic school, the instructor chanted a ditty . . .

Blue and green - you're keen
Grey and white - you're all right
Black and read - you're dead!

. . . meaning that more traffic citations are issued to black and red cars.

Regardless of that, I tend to keep my cars for many years, so I want a neutral color that I won't grow tired of. I usually go for a dark gray.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:58 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,634,920 times
Ive only had 3 cars, out of the 15 I've owned, that were not black.

I'm not a flashy person so I would not want a bright color. BUT.....If I NEEDED a car and could only spend a certain amount and the BEST car for that money was an oddball color...Oddball color it is. Utility trumps desire always.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
I've had reds, blues, grays (various shades), browns/tans and white. More blues than anything, four of those. But now that I think of it I've had three of all the others except white. Only one of those.

I bought a new F150 last winter. It's dark green (looks black in some light) simply because I didn't want another white truck.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:06 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

The original color of my '95 Lincoln Town Car (bought used) was gray. I never would have ordered it in that color. I had it repainted last year in the correct Lincoln blue for that year. I think it looks much better.

Compare here:

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM

13,642 posts, read 8,664,774 times
Beautiful car either way. What a presence. And Ford wonders what happened to Lincoln sales.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Beautiful car either way. What a presence. And Ford wonders what happened to Lincoln sales.
Thanks, HappyRider.

Yes, that was before Lincolns got strange-looking!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Those colors look much better on the real classic cars though. Seem like they just go better with that era of muscle cars.
I think so, too. Those colors just seem to fit in better with classic cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or