Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:32 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
That's funny because the video and the article both prove my point.
No, they absolutely don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:54 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
No, they absolutely don't.
I know you hate being wrong about things.

I'd recommend anyone not to take winter driving advice from a Texan.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I know you hate being wrong about things.

I'd recommend anyone not to take winter driving advice from a Texan.
You proved yourself wrong from your own link, and apparently don't have the balls to admit it. Ok.

From your own link: (I'm not posting it for you, you've proven you can't read already, but for others to come to a valid conclusion without reading your lunacy.)

Tire Testing Showdown: Winter vs. All-Season - Popular Mechanics

4 tests, 60-0 braking, 0-60 acceleration, skidpad, 10% hill climb.

The cars tested are FWD and AWD, with both all seasons and winter tires.

Comparing a FWD with winter tires to AWD with all seasons, the FWD stops 13 ft shorter (not even a car length) and .3 of a second faster. In other words a TINY MARGINABLE difference that in the real world, you'd never notice at all.

For acceleration, the AWD with all seasons does it in 12.41 seconds. The FWD with winter tires must have been asleep at the wheel, it only manages 21.5 seconds. Now that's a huge difference in favor of AWD vs winter tires.

For the skidpad, AWD with all seasons manages 25 mph at .29g's. The FWD with winter tires does... why look at that, 25 mph with .32g's... Not a noticeable speed difference or cornering difference, especially in the real world.

For the 10% hill climb, here we see that AWD is much more important than FWD and winter tires. AWD with all seasons does it in 4.1 seconds. FWD with winter tires does it in 6.68 seconds... again a significant difference in losing to AWD.

So to sum up, AWD with all seasons is much better in some situations than FWD with winter tires, and they are equal in others. Considering the OP said they live in a very hilly area, AWD is clearly the best choice.

I'd recommend anyone not take advice from someone who can't put his Cheesesteak fork down long enough to actually comprehend a comparison report.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
You proved yourself wrong from your own link, and apparently don't have the balls to admit it. Ok.

From your own link: (I'm not posting it for you, you've proven you can't read already, but for others to come to a valid conclusion without reading your lunacy.)

Tire Testing Showdown: Winter vs. All-Season - Popular Mechanics

4 tests, 60-0 braking, 0-60 acceleration, skidpad, 10% hill climb.

The cars tested are FWD and AWD, with both all seasons and winter tires.

Comparing a FWD with winter tires to AWD with all seasons, the FWD stops 13 ft shorter (not even a car length) and .3 of a second faster. In other words a TINY MARGINABLE difference that in the real world, you'd never notice at all.

For acceleration, the AWD with all seasons does it in 12.41 seconds. The FWD with winter tires must have been asleep at the wheel, it only manages 21.5 seconds. Now that's a huge difference in favor of AWD vs winter tires.

For the skidpad, AWD with all seasons manages 25 mph at .29g's. The FWD with winter tires does... why look at that, 25 mph with .32g's... Not a noticeable speed difference or cornering difference, especially in the real world.

For the 10% hill climb, here we see that AWD is much more important than FWD and winter tires. AWD with all seasons does it in 4.1 seconds. FWD with winter tires does it in 6.68 seconds... again a significant difference in losing to AWD.

So to sum up, AWD with all seasons is much better in some situations than FWD with winter tires, and they are equal in others. Considering the OP said they live in a very hilly area, AWD is clearly the best choice.

I'd recommend anyone not take advice from someone who can't put his Cheesesteak fork down long enough to actually comprehend a comparison report.
I really was trying to pass the ball off to you because I didn't feel like breaking down the numbers, thanks. I even rated your post positively for it!

So basically...2wd winters braked better and maneuvered better in the tests than AWD A/S's...If you think that's irrelevant for people that often drive in those conditions...then you better stay in Texas.

Quote:
That's highly debatable, and most likely wrong IMO. Snow is one thing, but ice is another, and snow tires won't do a damn thing on ice. In that case, you need more drive wheels, and AWD is superior to 2WD for traction in every instance.
Hope you watched the ice driving video, too. I wouldn't consider those results tiny or marginable.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Well, I guess there was bound to be at least ONE child left behind... and so far behind, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive