U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM
 
Location: North Port, Florida
774 posts, read 1,826,201 times
Reputation: 844

Advertisements

Wow, my eyeballs are starting to bleed here....

You say your payments are over $600 per month...that means you've put over $11,000 into your current car.

If you do this deal over 6 years you'll be spending something in the neighborhood of $38,520....for a grand total of close to $50,000!

That's $50,000 to drive a car 7 1/2 years!

Kind of defeats the purpose of driving a car that's supposed to be economical, doesn't it??

Mikey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2014, 12:55 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Wow, my eyeballs are starting to bleed here....

You say your payments are over $600 per month...that means you've put over $11,000 into your current car.

If you do this deal over 6 years you'll be spending something in the neighborhood of $38,520....for a grand total of close to $50,000!

That's $50,000 to drive a car 7 1/2 years!

Kind of defeats the purpose of driving a car that's supposed to be economical, doesn't it??

Mikey
Well it's a much shorter loan, I can't remember if it's 3 or 4 years. Hummm. This is all giving me a headache. I'm just keeping my car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 PM
 
16,485 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Reputation: 23531
You're adding debt by buying the new car
You're not saving anything

Just going by your statement and going on a 5 year/60 month loan (I'm not including the downpayment)
$600x60=36,000 over life of loan
$600x18=10,800 what you already paid
$600x42=25,200 balance on loan

$535x60=32,100 your new balance given you walk in with nothing down
32,100-25,200=6,900 added to loan

You're simply adding to your debt by taking a new car. What you already paid is money down the drain you have no added value right now because you're not getting any credit for it( no trade in value) they are simpky taking it off your hands as if theire doing you a favor. You need to go off owed balance on current loan and future balance on new loan.
Thinking 0% and $65 a month as saving is foolish. Go by the a mount if debt you are incurring and for how long

A set of hubcaps are what $40? I'm sure you can get a seatbelt from a auto recycler for less than $100. Personally I think you're gonna lose out. And I feel that whatever verbal "deal" you and the salesman have will fall apart in the sales managers office,

NO dealer is going to make a sale where they lose money. I don't care how nice they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
Reputation: 1616
if you keep on swapping your loan for another every couple yrs, you're no better than LEASING your prius! In fact you're probably worse off since leases are often supported by the automaker, meaning the monthly on a $50k BMW 3-series is the exact same as your $30k Prius hatchback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 02:27 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're adding debt by buying the new car
You're not saving anything

Just going by your statement and going on a 5 year/60 month loan (I'm not including the downpayment)
$600x60=36,000 over life of loan
$600x18=10,800 what you already paid
$600x42=25,200 balance on loan

$535x60=32,100 your new balance given you walk in with nothing down
32,100-25,200=6,900 added to loan

You're simply adding to your debt by taking a new car. What you already paid is money down the drain you have no added value right now because you're not getting any credit for it( no trade in value) they are simpky taking it off your hands as if theire doing you a favor. You need to go off owed balance on current loan and future balance on new loan.
Thinking 0% and $65 a month as saving is foolish. Go by the a mount if debt you are incurring and for how long

A set of hubcaps are what $40? I'm sure you can get a seatbelt from a auto recycler for less than $100. Personally I think you're gonna lose out. And I feel that whatever verbal "deal" you and the salesman have will fall apart in the sales managers office,

NO dealer is going to make a sale where they lose money. I don't care how nice they are.
Thank you for doing the math! It just didn't feel right. I love my car, Im keeping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 03:20 PM
 
16,485 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Reputation: 23531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thank you for doing the math! It just didn't feel right. I love my car, Im keeping it.

And just think not only are you adding the 6,900 you're also walking away from the 10,200 you already paid. You would recoup a percentage of the money spent at the future sale of the vehicle. Any of these we can put you in a new car for the same or less is just a sales gimmick. Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 PM
 
3,427 posts, read 3,243,081 times
Reputation: 8045
Wise decision not to trade.

I have a 2013 V and the 2014 model is virtually identical, just a couple of minor differences like daytime running lights (effectively the same as if you just leave your 2013 headlights on all the time because they will auto-shut-off when you turn off the car).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
9,865 posts, read 8,003,412 times
Reputation: 11210
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have a 2013 Prius v. It has 14000 miles on it. Its missing hubcaps (stupid thieves), needs a seat belt replaced (ugh dogs!) and has a few scratches and dings. But its fine.

The sales man who sold it to me called and offered a trade in, I went in and talked to him.

He offered the same exact car, packages, the protection plans, etc. in a 2014, but a different color (that I don't really like). Essentially no mileage.

0% interest (instead of our current 1.9%)

Our payments would be $65 a month less, and he will take our other car as is, so I wont have to fix the buckle.

The downside is that we have been paying on the car for a year and a half (I think), so that would start over.

He says he has a buyer for my car...which I am skeptical of, honestly. I wonder if he is just trying to sell us another car.

So would you trade it in?
The present value of that $65 over 5 years is:
4% loan $3540
5% loan $3444
7% loan $3282

This is what that savings is worth to you in terms of its present value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top