Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,422,752 times

Advertisements

I was in a mall parking lot, here in Toronto, yesterday. I saw a service truck from CAA, doing a lock out call. The man had locked his keys in the SUV. The CAA service guy had a device that I had not seen before.

It was like a blood pressure cuff, that he inflated with a small rubber bulb. It was placed between the door and the body, and inflated slowly, by hand. The kit also contained a number of plastic covered rods, to reach across the inside of the cab and grab the door handle on the opposite side, or the door release button, to open the door. The service guy said that he bought it from a company that supplies the lock and key trade shops.

I thought that it would be a good thing to have, as a small money maker. The cost is about $30. How many times have you seen somebody using a bent coat hanger ? This device is gentle and doesn't cause damage. Comes in a zipper bag, with wedges , the rods, and the inflation device.

Comments ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,724,778 times
Sounds like a great tool to have for your own personal use !!!

The only thing about using this on someone's vehicle other than yours, you would assume any and all damages "if" something were to happen.

People can be nice but at the same time many are looking for that chance to make a quick buck !!!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Be easier to just carry a spare key in your wallet as this device might be a bit bulky to carry around.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,620,142 times
or call Onstar and ask them to unlock the door remotely.. No fuss, no muss..

Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Need for speed:

I used to operate my own towing company ( 5 trucks ) , and lock outs were a normal type of call for service. In most cases, the person who is locked out will be happy to get the door open. As I said this device is a no damage alternative to a coat hanger, or even a slim jim, as it has no sharp edges, and you can control the pressure on the expansion bladder, by the hand pump/bulb. Once the door has been opened a couple of inches, you reach in with the plastic coated rod, and hook the door handle, or push the door release button.

Of course, I live in Canada, where we don't sue at the drop of a hat. (grin).

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Jambo :

I was suggesting that having one of these in YOUR car, could allow you to open some one else's car. The kit is the size of a woman's hand bag, keep it in the trunk.

Jim B.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Nayabone"

And of course every single person on the road HAS OnStar, even those who are driving a 1999 Hyundai, right ?

Reality says that isn't the case, by far.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,332,904 times
They have them on EBAY .

Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,620,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Nayabone"

And of course every single person on the road HAS OnStar, even those who are driving a 1999 Hyundai, right ?

Reality says that isn't the case, by far.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Anyone driving a 1999 Hyundai would probably be thrilled to be locked out.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,889,335 times
The last AAA call I made was for a lock-out. The service guy showed up with one of these gizmos and I chuckled but I was all smiles when he was able to get the door open.

I must admit I didn't think it would work but I was impressed.

As for carrying one in your car to help others in distress in the hope of it being a small money-maker, I'm not sure about that.

People will either call On-Star (grin) or call the auto club. If they have neither of those and are struggling with a coat hangar, what would be your approach? I'm afraid I'd be thinking car-jacking if a stranger approached me offering to unlock my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive