U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 AM

333 posts, read 376,744 times

Advertisements

I guess it's one thing to like old cars (and I do). It's another to actually have one. For me, it wouldn't be purchased as a daily driver so I would be essentially looking at having two cars. Just too expensive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
I guess it's one thing to like old cars (and I do). It's another to actually have one. For me, it wouldn't be purchased as a daily driver so I would be essentially looking at having two cars. Just too expensive.
Fill us in on the 'cost of ownership' down-under

I find it interesting what people have to pay for wheels / licensing / taxes / tariffs (duty) / even a 'bid-war' for restricting the number of registered cars (Singapore, I'm sure elsewhere).

USA is very location dependent, but usually not burdensome unless new (Sales tax (only up to 10%, and a value based personal property tax (in a few states up to ~1% of value and due every yr))

Getting plates for a 'collector car' in USA is pretty inexpensive (excluding sales tax) AFAIK.

For example... in Washington State (Left coast state) I now pay $42 one time for the life of the car for collector plates. No requirement to carry insurance or to get emission test to get plates, thus I register most of my qualified vehicles as collector. (restricted use... not daily driver, unless you have several )

For a NICE newer car WA will be ~ 10% sales tax and about $50/ yr fees
If one of my cars has a requirement to test for emissions it gets sent to 'boarding school' (one of my homes in a nearby rural county (1 minute away from my 'other' house)).

Old 11-30-2014, 04:09 PM

333 posts, read 376,744 times
As an example....I just purchased a vehicle (to be delivered next year).

I am paying about $6000 on top of the cost of the car just to get it on the road (does not include comprehensive insurance). This includes:

Dealer pre-delivery costs.
Stamp duty (tax)- about
Registration.
CTP insurance (Compulsory third party- does not cover damage to your own car, only injury and damage to someone else).
And if the car is over an approximate value of $75,000 then you pay "Luxury car tax" which is roughly 33% of each dollar over that amount e.g. for an $80,000 car, you would pay 33% of the $5000 difference each year. I am not paying this!
My full insurance costs about $1200 a year.
Fuel is around $1.65-$1.70 a litre.

For an older car you would have to pay stamp duty on purchase (3% of purchase price up to $45,000, then 5% for every dollar over.
Registration would have to be paid when the current 12 months expires, CTP and comprehensive insurance paid at this time too. Probably reasonably expensive insurance for a classic car as most seem to go through "boutique" insurance firms, though I'm not really sure how much.
I'm assuming luxury car tax would also apply where applicable.

As you can probably see owning a car here is a fairly expensive proposition! Two cars on one income is doable but not something I would be looking at right now.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
They cost too much. It's a lot more cost effective to buy a newer car and modify it. I love classic cars, but I don't have 50k-80k for a "classic".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37335493-post101.html

Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,320,021 times
Vintage automobiles, especially the muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's are too expensive for young enthusiasts. This is probably the main reason the young crowd is modifying Japanese marque cars such as Honda, Nissan, et al. They can be purchased used and are plentiful. There is also a large aftermarket of performance parts available for customization.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
I guess helping restore a Fox-body or SN95 Mustang or 3RD or 4th Gen F-body with you kids might allow them to get into the hobby fairly cheap and spend some quality time with your kids teaching them about cars...Plus if your kids lose interest you can keep it an enjoy it yourself. It's a Win-Win

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-03-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM

1,499 posts, read 2,310,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Kids aren't into cars, boats, motorcycles etc. compared to even 20 years ago. I have 20-30 yr old employees and they think a Kia/Honda type car is perfect. I have had dozens of young male employees over the years and not one had a Camaro/Mustang/performance car. The cost of ownership (fuel,insurance,cost to buy is too high) yet they have game box systems/expensive phones etc.....so I guess it boils down to priorities.

That being said, I have never owned a car older than I am and rarely own anything more than 8 years old or so. I like Harleys but really don't need to spend 18-20K on something to sit in the garage for 350 days a year so I am guilty of the same mentality to a point.
I'm 30, and admittedly I'm not a fan of "classic" cars - I like my luxuries. Decent sound system, heated seats, AWD, etc (I drive a Grand Cherokee). That said, I also have a GSX-R600 and I've been toying with the idea of getting a boat for awhile now. Got a few other things on my plate before that happens though. I'm thankful that I don't have to drive "just" a Kia or a Honda though, I'm not a fan of them at all.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM

24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
When I was about 22 or so I purchased a 1962 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I bought it pretty cheap, but I didn't really realize what I was buying. I didn't know much about cars and ended up trusting a guy that had it forever and didn't really fix it.

My sister's boyfriend at the time was a car guy and he owned a bunch of cars. He also raced cars too , and he knew how to work on them as well.

He offered to buy the car from me and he ended up fixing it up really nice and putting an amazing paint job on it.

I was glad that the car went got fixed up nice even though I didnt know it. Eventually he did sell it, not sure why but maybe he owned too many cars or needed some cash.

Although I didn't get to enjoy the car for too long, I don't regret buying it and it was a fun thing to do.

When I'm in a position to do so, I can imagine myself getting another classic. I've always really like the cadillacs and would drool over the 1961-1963 Lincoln Continentals too.

I know an older guy that has been restoring his 1953 cadillac for years and years and claims it will be done soon. Really beautiful car.

I'd agree with the OP though that I think it's true there aren't that many people under 35 driving classics these days. In L.A I think it used to be a lot more popular. I remember it being kind of common to see younger people with classic mustangs and things like that.

I don't feel that most people feel a classic car should be a daily driver for various reasons, reliability ,safety ,etc. Another big thing is gas prices and classic cars aren't generally as fuel efficient as more modern vehicles.

These days it's hard for young people to even have one car.

In general though , there is a lot of talk these days about Millennials not really being into cars in general. Lot's of different reasons for this
The many reasons millennials are shunning cars - The Washington Post

Not everyone can appreciate a classic car , I know it's hard to imagine for a car guy, but it's kind of like they way not everyone can really appreciate certain art or tell the differences between a fine wine and some cheap bottle from the drugstore.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM

47 posts, read 28,112 times
I'm not really into classic cars but there are some older cars I still really appreciate like the original Acura NSX, Honda S2000 back when honda's were cool and even more recently I thought the 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S was one of the most beautiful 4 door sedans honda has ever produced, too bad about Acura now.

I generally now favor sporty but luxurious cars with monster power like BMW M5, Audi S6, etc. I'm a 21 year old male by the way and I still very much am into modern day cars and would love to have a whole fleet of them and most people in my generation are satisfied with basic hyundai's or even worse bicycle's or this urban walk able paradise with a subway system, I know that's the trend of younger people now a days but am I the only that thinks of that and want's to vomit? For me the dream is still alive, I'd like fast cars, nice house with a pool not some urban apartment life where I walk or take the subway everywhere.

My Dream fleet would consist of a 2015 Range Rover Autobiography, Maserati MC GranCabrio, and an Aventador.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
If automakers would start making good looking cars again, in a few years young people could afford them. But the drab colored turds they have been making for decades will never stand out. Today's youth have a lot less disposable income than did those in the 70's or even 80's. With the collapsing US manufacturing sector, it is to be expected that as time goes on things get uglier. Big government crushed the auto industry starting in the 70's and the FIRE economy pushed funny money into the classic car market starting in the early 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or