U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,518,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
HOA is a factor I dismissed... a friend is restoring a camaro and has gotten grief from his HOA... he can have it in the garage... just can't have the garage door up when he is working on it...

I have one HOA experience... HOA was formed in 1948 and my neighbors are cool about it... nevertheless, the CC&R's could be a problem if someone were so inclined.

Are you serious? One more reason why I will NEVER live somewhere like that.

Anyway, I think it depends on the area in which you live. Here in the Windsor/Detroit region, they are most definitely in to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 AM

25,899 posts, read 49,860,138 times
California....

Old 11-17-2014, 02:32 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,518,837 times
Hmm. That's too bad. Aren't there still people making rat rods or anything out there? So much came out of California. It would be a shame if that innovative spirit when it came to anything with wheels went away.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,341,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
HOA is a factor I dismissed... a friend is restoring a camaro and has gotten grief from his HOA... he can have it in the garage... just can't have the garage door up when he is working on it...

I have one HOA experience... HOA was formed in 1948 and my neighbors are cool about it... nevertheless, the CC&R's could be a problem if someone were so inclined.
An entire city can be like that...City of Coral Gables, Fl has similar ordinances.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,484,494 times
Young people (teens and late 20's to 30's) are just into themselves !!!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,341,312 times
This thread provided me impetus to look at a few models I have always had interest in and found a few which required considerable work for about $5000-$8000. In particular, have always had a soft spot for the Cougar Eliminator and found a few fitted with 351W or 351C. Not bad for a vehicle that looks like a muscle car without the high price tag. All automatics unfortunately. There is also a dedicated forum and what not. Mach I Mustangs which would be comparable are double the price.

Of course they would all need beaucoup investment and one really needs to live, breath and love this project to keep at it. I just have too many interests nowadays.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM

51,095 posts, read 29,179,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
When youngsters do get classics they hose them up by lowering them and/or putting 26" rims on them. I would rather see one sitting in a barn than that.
Youngsters are into the bling factor of new cars and don't want to worry about refurbishing an older car.
I love 80s-90s Buicks and Lincolns. Caddies are OK but I don't like the body styling.
I don't know what it is but every time I see a beautiful classic car, or even a newer 4-door sedan, like a Lincoln Continental or Chevy Impala, with those ugly 26" wheels and skinny tires, I almost feel like throwing up.

There are some younger people who appreciate the classic automobiles, but most of them want cars for practicality, and those few who like cars, to most of them performance is taking a 1990s Honda Civic and doing whatever it is they do to make it sound like somebody is.. breaking wind.. (to put it politely)

I grew up in the mid 1970s and I remember performance was a 1969 muscle car with a roaring V-8, a 4-barrel carburetor doing the 1/4 mile in under 6 seconds.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:43 PM

805 posts, read 733,839 times
im 35 I don't like old classic cars because they are seriously overpriced. I don't know anyone that knows how to do good car work. Most shops cant even do mechanical/electrical/body work/interior/paint without contracting it out.

Doing most car work requires more then just knowing how to take an engine apart. You need to know electrical also and most people don't have a clue how to read an electrical schematic or run a volt meter.

And I forgot those cake decorator people who just put those stupid elbows/super pokes on their car with the lowest profile tire possible.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM

25,899 posts, read 49,860,138 times
Nothing turns me off faster than a otherwise nice/clean car with 22 or 24 rims...

They are very popular here and I don't get it.

A coworker had a 72 Cutlass and spent over 2 grand on these rims... she had it for a couple of weeks and said the car handles like crap... bumped a curb and ruined a rim...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,487,689 times
Also the demise of Auto Shop in High School is also a factor. I took blue print reading, welding, small engine repair and advanced auto mechanics in HS. First period we learned to weld, change engines etc. By the late 80s shop classes for boys and Home Eq for girls were died out and it was all academics.

I could do body work, welding, arc welding, rivert work etc and we could actually fix 100 dollar cars at the age of 17. Todays kids lack the skills and it is expensive to hire mechanics so old cars are hard to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or