Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

With many classics going for 40k plus not a lot of younger people can afford them, you also have a big percent of younger people who are probably on all this global warming crap and think old cars are evil for the environment. Also with cars being all computers now you can't really work on cars yourself so many younger people never learend how to work on cars which is half the fun of having a classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:04 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Young people today aren't into classics much anymore?

Good for them!

They should be focusing on accumulating wealth and NOT burying themselves in debt. Owning/restoring classic cars requires money that most young people don't have due to frivolous spending and living above their means. I'm tired of paying for welfare/medicaid/bailouts etc. with my taxes.
I would rather see them purchase and rehab old homes, it's a more useful hobby that will pay off if done properly.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:56 PM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I'm in my 30s and aside from liking older Jeeps, I'm not really into most classic cars. I don't have anything against people who like them, but I generally prefer current vehicles that have more creature comforts, like heated seats and the handsfree/bluetooth phone setup.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:27 PM

457 posts, read 693,563 times
They cost too much. It's a lot more cost effective to buy a newer car and modify it. I love classic cars, but I don't have 50k-80k for a "classic".

Old 11-29-2014, 03:33 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
They cost too much. It's a lot more cost effective to buy a newer car and modify it. I love classic cars, but I don't have 50k-80k for a "classic".

You don't need nearly that much money to buy something in reasonably good shape unless it's a 57 Chevy or some other super popular classic that might be on the rare side.

All the classic cars I've picked up over the years have never been more than $5,000. Granted, the cars that I am into are mostly old Cadillac's and Lincoln's which are fairly affordable to buy. Young people just have to be patient and look around online for good deals.

At the same time, once the car is in ones possession, they can take their time fixing it up at their pace which is also a great learning experience. Not every old classic car is going to put you in the poor house. If you expect shops to do all the work for you, then maybe it will. But if you're mechanically inclined, and have friends or family members that can pitch in to help you, it can make all the difference in the world and will help the person cut down on repair work over time.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:53 PM

401 posts, read 534,073 times
Most of these posters here are absolutely clueless, and obviously never even been to a car show.

First of all: nobody starts on top. If you are interested in classic cars - you normally start out with a cheaper car. Nobody starts with a $ 50k classic car. If you do that, you are either daddy`s boy or stupid. You buy a starter, you improve it, learn how to work on it, and you sell it and build capital. Sometimes you sell with a profit, sometimes you loose. Most of the times you have fun and you learn a lot going in the process.

Most are members of car clubs, discuss their favorite car on forums, dream of buying a better car, go to car shows.

Most importantly: you learn a skill! In the future you can look the mechanic in the eye and have an opinion when he tries to sc**w you!

I have been in the classic car for decades, and I find a lot of youngsters fascinated by older classic cars

Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Young people today aren't into classics much anymore?

Good for them!

They should be focusing on accumulating wealth and NOT burying themselves in debt. Owning/restoring classic cars requires money that most young people don't have due to frivolous spending and living above their means. I'm tired of paying for welfare/medicaid/bailouts etc. with my taxes.
I would rather see them purchase and rehab old homes, it's a more useful hobby that will pay off if done properly.
Bought my first old car at age 12 with money I had earned... it was a Model A Ford.

Owning and working on classics provided me with down payment money to buy property...

Still remember the decision to sell my pristine 1968 Z28 Camaro because I was short on cash to buy a home.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
With many classics going for 40k plus not a lot of younger people can afford them, you also have a big percent of younger people who are probably on all this global warming crap and think old cars are evil for the environment. Also with cars being all computers now you can't really work on cars yourself so many younger people never learend how to work on cars which is half the fun of having a classic.
A couple of years ago I went to Marin to see a 56 T-Bird that the owner was selling... he was selling everything and moving to his sailboat to live.

The T-Bird had been in storage for several years... I got it running and went around the complex where he lived... not one... but two people chided me for driving such an old car... they said old cars are gross polluters and the other one added Henry Ford was anti-labor...

I actually thought the first person admired the car as she flagged me down... she was waving her arms...

Figured it was only in Marin...

Anyway, I did not buy the car and if I lived in Marin... I would move!!!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A couple of years ago I went to Marin to see a 56 T-Bird that the owner was selling... he was selling everything and moving to his sailboat to live.

The T-Bird had been in storage for several years... I got it running and went around the complex where he lived... not one... but two people chided me for driving such an old car... they said old cars are gross polluters and the other one added Henry Ford was anti-labor...

I actually thought the first person admired the car as she flagged me down... she was waving her arms...

Figured it was only in Marin...

Anyway, I did not buy the car and if I lived in Marin... I would move!!!
Marin County in the bay area? If so, I understand. People of the uppity yuppity (extreme snobby libs) types in the bay area seem to dislike anything that pollutes the air, even if it's car that is loaded with class and cool styling, they have dull minds. Ahhhh, they're probably just jealous and spiteful because they drive around in their pansy ass priuses and other horrible looking midget cars.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:57 AM

Yes Marin County...

Yet, Marin is one of the places with lots of citations on the Spare the Air no fireplace burn days... go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive