U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 AM

6,717 posts, read 11,170,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very Dependent on vehicle, care, driver, type of driving, and environment (for those in the rust belt).

I like the older cars (pre computer(Pre 1994 for my variety)). Many can literally go forever (longer than I will be living).

I do have some 'computer' enhanced cars that go 500k miles +. but they are a pain when / if the CEL goes funny.

A std 'computer' car could be expected to go 200k without significant issues. 300k if lucky.

I have a $0.10 / rule mile for Maint and repair. (I.e. if i have to pour $1000 into vehicle and repairs I expect a minimum of 10,000 miles return for that expense.) In reality I am less than 1/4the that expense (I can easily get 40k for $1000 in repairs, often 100,000). I calculate my costs including the price of the car and insurance / maint).

The highly used and abused 'heavy' minivans never cease to amaze me, as they typically ride the circuit for 200k+ miles.
Thanks, that makes me feel better about pouring almost $1000 into my Honda this year as it nears 200K miles.. my most expensive year so far for car maintenance. I've added well over 10,000 miles this year so it still comes out to less than $0.10/mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 AM

741 posts, read 681,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Sure they can. I've done it many times on older rusted cars, and am doing it now on my '63 Comet that has rust in the floors and around the rear wheelwells. Fixing the rust for me is cheaper than replacing the engine is going to be.

Heres another example of a rusty shell that I fixed in my garage:
Amazing work, but understand that guys like you are in no way representative of the typical person looking to buy a $1500 car.

Yes, if you're capable of doing full body-off restos then you can buy whatever you want without fear because you can always fix whatever breaks but for the other 99% of the population, considerations are very different since having to pay someone to do what you did there would cost a whole lotta money.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Amazing work, but understand that guys like you are in no way representative of the typical person looking to buy a $1500 car.

Yes, if you're capable of doing full body-off restos then you can buy whatever you want without fear because you can always fix whatever breaks but for the other 99% of the population, considerations are very different since having to pay someone to do what you did there would cost a whole lotta money.
I'm responding to this statment:

"Engines, transmissions... those can be fixed. The body, once rusted, can't be."

Which is false. The body certainly CAN be fixed. Whether it's cost effective for a particular car is a separate issue. Just the blanket statement that it can't be fixed once rusted. And there are a LOT of guys like me. I'm not in any way special.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:28 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,372,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The problem you run in to is that finacning is harder to get at 90K+ ...
Financing a 90k-mi automobile sounds insane. Even if you don't have all the cash, use a credit card for the difference and pay it off in a month or so.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,038,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlbj25 View Post
I bought a 99 Nissan Altima with 123000+ miles about 10 months ago. I have put on 6000 miles since buying it. This car has been very reliable and low maintenance. The only thing major I've had to do was change the water pump. The only other things that broke were the driver side power window motor and the switch, and the driver side sun visor, which were all replaced with inexpensive dunk yard parts. So that's proof that you can find a reliable car with high mileage to use as a daily driver.

Cool. I learn somthing new everyday.

Guess its not bad to buy a car with high mileage on it
if you know what your getting.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,753,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Financing a 90k-mi automobile sounds insane. Even if you don't have all the cash, use a credit card for the difference and pay it off in a month or so.
Folks still do it though, and the banks will still sign off on it. 90k miles is actually not a deal ender.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
Hard to beat 1980-1996 Ford F150 and 1988-1998 GMC/CHEVY C/K 1500 PU trucks

Old 11-30-2014, 07:41 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
Toyota T100, Toyota Tacoma, Mazda B-series, Ford Ranger, Nissan Hardbody, Jeep Cherokee XJ, Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Suburban, Nissan Xterra, Ford Fusion, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Lexus SC300/400, Mazda 3, Mazda 6

Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 AM

5,334 posts, read 3,594,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Everybody says cars last forever these days. What they don’t tell you that even cars as old as 15 years had complex emissions and electronics. Be prepared for persistent “check engine” light that nobody can figure out how to fix. It’ll show you a code but there are dozens of possible causes and each one costs money with no guarantees of getting it fixed. And it is easy to turn them off long enough for you to sign the papers.

Not true. Many will go well over 200k with no check engine lights and minimal issues. My current DD is a 2006 F150 with 136k miles on it. No issues whatsoever and no CE lights on. I've done normal maintenance (oil change, brake pads, and engine tune up) and that's all that has ever happened to it.

The complex emissions and electronics aren't going to cause you issue just because of mileage. Age will affect electronics more than anything and emission systems will function normally as long as the vehicle is maintained properly.

OP.... just about any vehicle properly maintained will last you well over 125k miles nowadays. I wouldn't be that concerned with it.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
I've done it numerous times on cars over $5000 and over 90k miles. It's no big deal. Yeah, you can pay it off early, too, and I'd rather not have my cash tied up in the car all at once. You get a real low monthly payment that you can meet if you want/need to spend on other things, or it's easy to double and triple the principal and pay it off early if you want. My Suburban had 120k on it, I financed it for $6500 for a 4 year span but paid it off in a mere 10 months. The next car I'm looking at is a 2001 740i Sport with 98k miles on it, and the selling price would be $9500. I'd be financing that, as well, but pay it off early if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive