U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,648,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
No, for that price they do it all. You can have blanks without RFID cut for a few bucks.
So lowes will go outside and program your key to your car right if you buy it there right? They have a hand held computer to program the key to your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 AM

13,722 posts, read 8,715,430 times
I am repeating what the key guy told me. I didn’t buy so I don’t know how he would have done it. I am sure cutting a blank key would not have cost $70.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM

8,767 posts, read 8,984,960 times
A locksmith or anyone who is setup to program the RFID chips can do this. You dont need to go to the dealer specifically, but you can't just cut a key.

You could, but until it's programmed to be recognized by Ford's PATS system, all you can do is unlock the door and trunk with it.

Once you have two working keys, go on Ebay, buy another Ford blank key, have it cut and then you can program it yourself. Then save it somewhere safe. That way if you ever lose another key, you can make another cheaply.

BTW I owned a 2003 Mustang GT. Miss that car.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM

4,763 posts, read 7,540,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
So lowes will go outside and program your key to your car right if you buy it there right? They have a hand held computer to program the key to your car?
Not quite. What they do have is a device the same or similar to this
EZ-Clone: Hillman Group

It effectively makes a clone of an old key. By reading the contents of the old key's chip, it can then write that data to the new key's chip. Then the car does not know which actual key it is reading.

Very similar to the way ATM/credit card "skimmers" work.

ISTM this kind of defeats the purpose of having individual key codes.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:22 PM

2,005 posts, read 553,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

It effectively makes a clone of an old key. By reading the contents of the old key's chip, it can then write that data to the new key's chip. Then the car does not know which actual key it is reading.

I'm pretty sure auto parts stores like oreilys or AutoZone would sell a second key also pawn shops should sell one

Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 PM

2,005 posts, read 553,006 times
I checked advance they sell only 2 I guess because everything else and that's all only what I could find but I could be wrong

Old 11-28-2014, 03:45 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,537,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Most cars have a "secret" procedure to train the car to recognize the new key. No handheld computer required. The procedure varies by car, and it's not usually in the owner's manual, but it is available from a factory service manual.

It's usually something like "with driver's door closed, insert and remove key 5 times, stand on your head, turn key to ACC position 13 times, say abracadabra, car is now programmed to start with new key." Basically, anybody can do it if they have a printout of the instructions.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:36 PM

4,763 posts, read 7,540,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Most cars have a "secret" procedure to train the car to recognize the new key. No handheld computer required. The procedure varies by car, and it's not usually in the owner's manual, but it is available from a factory service manual.

It's usually something like "with driver's door closed, insert and remove key 5 times, stand on your head, turn key to ACC position 13 times, say abracadabra, car is now programmed to start with new key." Basically, anybody can do it if they have a printout of the instructions.
Usually these procedures require you to start with a known good key.

Like my Ford Fusion manual says
"If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must
take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed."

What if you just lost your last key ?? (Hint: Hope you know a cheap tow company)

When I worked at a Colorado dealership, we had a Jaguar owner call from North Dakota saying he had lost his last key in a snowbank. Could we cut a key and FedEx it to him ? When he was told about the need for the car to be towed to the nearest dealership for programming, he went and bought a metal detector, and after about 2 hours searching, found his keys.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,387,148 times
Was pretty easy with my '02 Regal and I'm sure most if not all GM vehicles are probably the same from that era. There is no chip, it has a resistor and there is only 15 different keys. All you have to do is use a multimeter to find out which of the 15 keys it is. Think the key was $10, my buddy has a hardware store so I just cut it myself.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:30 AM

7,995 posts, read 6,758,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

As I said earlier. I walked into ACE hardware with my 2005 Ford Escape key in my hand. They did it all right there at the key cutting counter for $60.00. No need to use the car. The new key works perfect.

I assume they used a machine as shown above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or