U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,398,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Subcompact Car: Toyota Yaris

The oft-maligned Toyota Yaris subcompact hasn’t exactly won over U.S. consumers in recent years (it currently sits in 171st place on the sales charts), but it has proved reliable for those few who actually drive one. Don’t let the Consumer Reports reliability rating be confused with the publication’s feelings about the Yaris.
As a recent, scathing review of the Toyota subcompact proved, Consumer Reports hates this car with a passion, saying it “falls short of making the cut as a CR-recommended model. Way short.” They’re just saying it’s reliable if someone held a gun to your head and forced you to buy it.
Source: Scion

Compact Car: Scion xB

Toyota landed another top spot on the reliability survey in the compact car class with the Scion xB. For those who question the xB from a style or reputation standpoint, it is useful to know it is based on the Corolla platform. (They hardly get more boringly dependable than that.)
For the rankings appearing in late 2014, the Scion xB topped the entire list of 1.1 million vehicles Consumer Reports tested in terms of reliability. The agency also noted the spaciousness of the boxy xB, though it was disappointed in the lackluster (23 miles per gallon) fuel economy. Scion’s xB only fares slightly better than Yaris in the U.S., where it holds 160th place on the sales charts in 2014.
Source: Volkswagen

Midsize Car: Volkswagen Passat Turbo

You may get more efficiency out of the Passat diesel models, but Consumer Reports respondents say the 1.8-liter turbo edition is the most reliable midsize sedan on the market. Volkswagen shook off its lower ratings for the Passat from previous years and continued to work out the kinks in this car before landing the top spot.
That trend follows a pattern with new or redesigned vehicles. Only rarely does a completely fresh model hit the market without some bugs here and there. The Ford Fusion and Ford Explorer, for example, have been making steady gains since being docked with low reliability scores in the first years of their respective redesigns.

Source: Kia

Large Car: Kia Cadenza

The trend of sky-high reliability and nearly nonexistent sales continues with the Kia Cadenza, which sits in 189th place on the U.S. “leader” board. Survey respondents reported the least amount of problems in the Cadenza when matched against any other large cars in the market. Cadenza landed the top rating in its segment from Consumer Reports testers by beating out the Toyota Avalon.
Since this car is relatively anonymous on the market, let’s have a closer look at it. The 2014 Cadenza ($35,100) won International Car of the Year, was ranked highest in initial quality by J.D. Power, and offers 293 horsepower in its base V6 trim. Models wearing the 2015 badge got a price bump to $35,900.
Source: Lexus

Hybrid/EV: Lexus CT 200h

It was another great year for Lexus, which had the most class-leading cars and only made Toyota’s star shine even brighter on the reliability front. The stylish Lexus CT 200h wagon took top prize among hybrids and electric vehicles. As a point of reference, the CT 200h sells on par with the Chevy Volt and ranks in the top 10 in hybrid sales on the U.S. market. An attractive exterior and a combined 42 miles per gallon are its top selling points.
Source: Honda

Sporty Car: Honda Civic Si

If you are on the hunt for a sporty car, reliability might be the last thing that comes up on your priority list, but if it does, the Honda Civic Si was the one that scored highest in the Consumer Reports survey. This class includes cars like the Ford Mustang GT, Porsche Boxster, and Mazda Miata. Those three hot rides scored better than the Civic Si overall on Consumer Reports, but not on reliability. That was the Si’s game.
Source: Lexus

Luxury Compact Car: Lexus IS 350 Sedan

There have been many new entries to the luxury compact car segment, especially from the German triumvirate, but none could peck into Lexus’s lock on the top reliability spot. Toyota’s luxury brand had another win with IS 350 sedan, but only on reliability. Now to what Consumer Reports testers really feel.
“The IS fails as a sports sedan.” That is the headline. Throughout the review, phrases like “underwhelming to drive” and “not engaging enough” continue to appear. Is it reliable? Sure, but there’s a bigger world than that out there.
Source: Audi

Coupe/Convertible: Audi A5

The Audi A5 Cabriolet, winner of the top reliability award, differed from some others on this list in its overall high praise by Consumer Reports testers. Readers say the A5 is as reliable as they come in a coupe or convertible, but the editorial department confirms it’s a slam dunk on the road, too. Is it the perfect storm? Perhaps, but consumers may be able to deal with a few infotainment bugs and other conveniences in a convertible that costs a bit less than $47,600, as the A5 does.

Luxury Midsize/Large Car: Lexus LS

For anyone who believes the large luxury class begins with Mercedes S550 and ends with the Audi A8, the reliability survey says to hold that thought. The Lexus LS topped the pack in the least defective of the large and midsize luxury sedans, giving Toyota’s premium brand its third win in nine spots on this list and five overall for Toyota Motor Corp. Consumer Reports testers consider it a rock star in large luxury class, praising its exquisite finish and luxurious ride. It’s one of the models that was reliable and a hot commodity on several other fronts.

9 Most Reliable Cars in Consumer Reports Rankings

Interesting to see VW with 2 cars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Supposedly it's better, but I still have a bad after taste from a 1992 Passat in my mouth. One year isn't going to change my opinion. Get back to me in 2020 when it's 6-7 years old and I'll be a bit more receptive. one-year reliability has more to do with interior rattles than anything.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I still have a bad after taste from a 1992 Passat in my mouth.
I was burned by VW in '77 and have not considered a model from the company since.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM

520 posts, read 508,188 times
ahahaha,, KIA Is listed as a reliable car..

..or a hybrid.

How exactly did they come up with this list?! 0_o

Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post

..or a hybrid.

Kia is listed as a reliable car but they make incredibly reliable cars. Toyota hybrids tend to be reliable as well with many Prius owners running well over 100k miles without issue.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post

..or a hybrid.

The list is based on surveys from the publication's subscribers. For Kia, the Cadenza hasn't sold well, so there's a pretty small pool of data to go on.

That, and everyone who had a problem with theirs quietly sold them and tried to avoid hearing any "I told you so's."

Old 11-19-2014, 02:14 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Lol. That Kia a "large" car... it is only 195.5 inches long, shorter then the compact-sized '66 Dart GT V-8 I used to own!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Lol. That Kia a "large" car... it is only 195.5 inches long, shorter then the compact-sized '66 Dart GT V-8 I used to own!
Other members of this forum have schooled you before but it looks like it needs to be done again. Whatever decades old dimensions you have in mind for large, midsize, etc cars have changed in the last 48 years. The only person consistently amused by today's car dimensions is you and a handful of other old fogies who are incapable of getting with the times. I don't have any issues with older people in general but special attitudes have to be reserved for the truly stubborn.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM

520 posts, read 508,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Kia is listed as a reliable car but they make incredibly reliable cars. Toyota hybrids tend to be reliable as well with many Prius owners running well over 100k miles without issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The list is based on surveys from the publication's subscribers. For Kia, the Cadenza hasn't sold well, so there's a pretty small pool of data to go on.

That, and everyone who had a problem with theirs quietly sold them and tried to avoid hearing any "I told you so's."
can't disagree.
I just have a problem calling something "reliable" when it is brand new, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Other members of this forum have schooled you before but it looks like it needs to be done again. Whatever decades old dimensions you have in mind for large, midsize, etc cars have changed in the last 48 years. The only person consistently amused by today's car dimensions is you and a handful of other old fogies who are incapable of getting with the times. I don't have any issues with older people in general but special attitudes have to be reserved for the truly stubborn.
I don't often agree with this chap. but this is perfectly said.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
I know they measure every 1/10th of a square inch to get their "reading" (even useless headroom)

Now, to school YOU, here are some true full-sized cars... nothing like today's make-believe "full-sized/large" cars!

And it doesn't matter if those cars are old or I am old or you are old. Cars are cars. Some of the classic ones are still on the road being driven. So try not to fool yourself into thinking that a modern 195" or 200" long car is "large." Sit in one of those cars I posted then sit (and/or drive) in a new Kia and tell me again it's "large."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or