U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 PM

1,258 posts, read 811,536 times

Advertisements

Always, and it save me big $ more than once when buying used.

But I would never consider a Firestone or other chain or even a dealer shop for this. Find a good, reputable mechanic with a track record in the community. If you already have a relationship with him/her, better yet. Especially important with certain makes (VW, Audi, Porcshe, for example - those folks know the cars year-by-year, model-by-model).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,682,478 times
Simple one word answer to this question . . . ABSOLUTELY.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 PM

13,678 posts, read 8,684,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
From a private seller I always do.

I can take it to a shop I have done biz with since '88...they
will look at everything but engine stuff....and that's alot.
How do you do that? How would someone let a stranger take his car somewhere? I wouldn’t and I don’t have the time to follow him to who knows where and spend a better part of a day. You, as a buyer, should know enough to be able to notice the telltale signs of trouble. It is not hard. A mechanic can never predict future failures anyway. If you want it checked out by your mechanic, you are welcome to bring him along with you. My time is no less valuable than his.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 PM

260 posts, read 370,022 times
When I bought privately recently I arranged to meet the guy at the auto shop with the car.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 24,253,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I know nothing about cars. I'm considering buying a used car from a private seller and someone said that it's standard to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out before buying and that they would charge something like $100 to make sure it's ok.

I mean I don't get it. Find a car that looks good, find a mechanic that is close by, go to a person's place, test drive the car, if I like it tell him/her that I want to take it to a mechanic, then go to a local one...would they just drop what they are doing and turn their attention to me and do it on the spot?

Is this something people do when buying used from a private seller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I don't know if it is "standard" or not (I don't), but if, as you say, you know nothing about cars, for you and others like you it would be a good idea.
Keep in mind that when buying a used vehicle it is "AS IS, WHERE IS"!
Which is to say, you bought it, and all the problems that go with it. There is NO warranty, expressed or implied, unless it is in writing.
So, yes, getting it looked at by a competent shop IS a good idea, and some shops will do it for you in hopes of getting your future business.
It may cost you $75 to $100, but it might save a lot of grief later.
Good luck.
redraven is right. since you know little about cars, it is a good idea to take any used car that oyu are considering purchasing to a reputable mechanic for a pre buy inspection. i generally dont for two reasons;

1: i have a solid knowledge base about how these things are built and operate, and i know what to look for when buying a car

2: i generally buy cars that are cheap to begin with, so if they break in half, i just sell both halves and get another one.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,222,202 times
Everyone is assuming that the seller will let you take the car to get inspected.

No used car dealerships i have been to EVER let you take the cars off the lot.
They always claim there mechanics inspected it.

I guess the best thing to do is take the mechanic with you on the test drives

Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,224,801 times
G fused

Give us the detail of the car. We ll try to help u.

I don't know about other states, but here in houston, there are places that provides pre purchase inspection. That's all they do.

Back in the day, my shop did not provide that specific service, but I have done it for regular customers for a small fee..

For many of you non car people. I suggest, talking to mechanics who are experts of the brand of car you intend to buy. 100bucks is cheap.

Side note: here recently, a member was wanting to pay me to come inspect a car they wants to buy. I didn't go, due to my full time job. That got me to think, that would make a good side gig for me. Hmmmmm anyways, They did buy the car i recommended

Last edited by Chris V; 11-19-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 04:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,785,580 times
I paid for a mobile mechanic to come check out the car. I used one local to me--PDX inspections. It was great as it didn't require the seller taking it anywhere. Check it out (do a google search for PDX inspections) and then see if you can find something comparable near by. I also read all the yelp reviews and google reviews before making an appointment to make sure the inspection guy was good.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,785,580 times
Also, this link about what to look for when buying off craigslist was really helpful to me Used car buying tips for Portland Oregon - Avoiding scams and added costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or