Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,726 times

Advertisements

Well, like one poster said, the Rouge is a new vehicle and has not yet been proven to be a great vehicle. I think that the Rouge is a little more masculine than the CR-V, but the CR-V, being a Honda, is guaranteed to be reliable and have plenty of value when you decide to resell it or trade it in. I would go with the CR-V in this case. Were you planning on getting 2WD or a 4WD model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Please define "over 55" area. New to me.
Tek,
I think he means to look for a used car in areas where the seller is 55+ years of age. Cars seem to be better taken care of and have less mileage.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
We've been in a 2003 CRV and plan on moving into a new 2008 model this month. I would definitely go with the CRV. The reliability and ease of handling are amazing. We've only had to have basic oil changes done and recently got a new set of tires. Besides that it has run like a dream. If only they'd come up with a hybrid version. . .

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't know that the Rogue needs to "prove itself" as others suggest. It's based on a platform and driveline components that have already been around for years, plus same electronics, same suspension parts, many of the same interior bits, etc. The major components have already been battle-tested. They've just put it in a differently shaped vehicle is all.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Didn't Renault have a car called the Alliance in the '80s, sounds like a conspiracy to me.
That's funny! Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Well, like one poster said, the Rouge is a new vehicle and has not yet been proven to be a great vehicle. I think that the Rouge is a little more masculine than the CR-V, but the CR-V, being a Honda, is guaranteed to be reliable and have plenty of value when you decide to resell it or trade it in. I would go with the CR-V in this case. Were you planning on getting 2WD or a 4WD model?
4WD. Here in the Midwest it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
We've been in a 2003 CRV and plan on moving into a new 2008 model this month. I would definitely go with the CRV. The reliability and ease of handling are amazing. We've only had to have basic oil changes done and recently got a new set of tires. Besides that it has run like a dream. If only they'd come up with a hybrid version. . .
For all CR-V owners: How's the power? I keep reading that the 4 cly in this vehicle doesn't do well on steep hills, especially for passing. True or false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't know that the Rogue needs to "prove itself" as others suggest. It's based on a platform and driveline components that have already been around for years, plus same electronics, same suspension parts, many of the same interior bits, etc. The major components have already been battle-tested. They've just put it in a differently shaped vehicle is all.
I agree. Having owned three Nissan cars I have little concern about a new model and the problems that might be inherent, especially when the base is from the Sentra and has been road tested for years.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM

After I get over being sick (yeah, me too) we're going to test drive both of these and see how they "feel" and fit. We have a height difference of 13" and it can be a problem when selecting what to drive. Not only pedal reach, but visibility. She had a spoiler put on her 03 Maxima so she could tell where the back of the car was. Works great.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,726 times
Default Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
After I get over being sick (yeah, me too) we're going to test drive both of these and see how they "feel" and fit. We have a height difference of 13" and it can be a problem when selecting what to drive. Not only pedal reach, but visibility. She had a spoiler put on her 03 Maxima so she could tell where the back of the car was. Works great.
That spoiler idea is very original. I can't begin to tell you how much trouble I have had in certain cars while backing up because I could not tell how much room I had behind me. I will think about that next time I buy a sedan or coupe.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Very true. Its the other little things that might have glitches until Nissan can iron them out. Nissan is also hit and miss it seems. Some people have great luck with their Nissans, others not so much. When I worked for Nissan things were pretty hunky-dory, with a few oddball lemons (mainly on the Maxima, Sentra and Pathfinder models). Seems they still have a problem with injectors going bad, as well as torque converters and other small tranny problems according to my friend. Honda just seems to build a better vehicle, IMO.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, speaking of injectors going bad, I've found my Maxima is almost impossible to start once temperatures approach single digits. Even at all other times I have to hold the pedal at about 20% throttle to get it to start. Other than that though, the thing runs like a Swiss watch.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM

We must have been lucky. Three Nissans: 90 Stanza and a 95 and 03 Maxima. Never had any problems other than what I consider normal, and they always start.

Believe me, if a car isn't going to start because it's cold, Central Iowa is a place that problem will show up!

I notice Chicago - also a place where cold will affect vehicles!

I sure do appreciate all the input I'm getting here. For some reason this is turning out to be one of the most difficult car buying decisions I've ever had. I'm even casting glances at the Camry Hybrid! $100 a barrel does get my attention, even if it didn't stay there, this time.

I'd have to buy a trailer, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive