Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times

Advertisements

When I drove the autobahn my German friends would say "don't brake for trouble, accelerate around it". Unfortunately our drivers aren't as disciplined as on the autobahn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
A 3 Series driver is usually a recent college graduate, with a massive school debt, at an entry level job demanding a minimum of 60 hours per week, whose only solace is a 36 month car lease taking out his frustration upon seeing what the next 40 years of employment are going to be.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM

163 posts, read 198,974 times
Quote:
I thought Audi drivers were quickly replacing them for that particular designation?
They already have. (ex-Audi driver here). I drive a 135i now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
When I drove the autobahn my German friends would say "don't brake for trouble, accelerate around it". Unfortunately our drivers aren't as disciplined as on the autobahn.
I get labeled "reckless" for doing this very thing. Things I look for that typically indicate impending trouble:

Women (in general)
Women in SUV's\Minivans (especially)
Any car/truck/SUV with a "Baby On Board" sign\sticker
18 wheelers
Quarry trucks (especially)
Dump trucks
"Bro" Trucks (Regardless of sex, they make this thread irrelevant when it comes to "who's the worst")
Junker cars
Ricer cars (These are pretty much the same thing as above and this term targets no specific make of vehicle)
Drunk\Severely Erratic Drivers (I do not sit behind these idiots like most do. I will hit the limiter, if necessary, to get a REALLY good lead on them. If there's too much traffic to pass, I will leave the road I'm on)
Idiots on Cell Phones (includes texting and driving morons)
Left Lane Cruisers (Though I despise having to do this and it's against every fiber of my being, I will pass on the right when I must)

So, as you can imagine, unless I'm in near-gridlock traffic, I am driving VERY fast almost everywhere I go.

My Credentials\Training: PSDS (Google it)

Quote:
I would argue that M series BMW owners probably drive "better" than most...
I know what you're getting at here...however, it's just not safe to assume so.

Quote:
I wouldn't call a 3 series a high performance car. It CAN be, but doesn't have to be.
I would argue that, compared to 90% of the crap on produced around the world, even a base 3 series is a "high performance car". It doesn't have to have a Corvette badge and <400 HP to be "high performance".

Quote:
A 3 Series driver is usually a recent college graduate, with a massive school debt, at an entry level job demanding a minimum of 60 hours per week, whose only solace is a 36 month car lease taking out his frustration upon seeing what the next 40 years of employment are going to be.
Anyone who posts\says\assumes something like this is usually a slacker and/or a hater. I wouldn't want to be considered either of those things.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Anyone who posts\says\assumes something like this is usually a slacker and/or a hater. I wouldn't want to be considered either of those things.

I think neither applies to me, I am an observer, however.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM

201 posts, read 279,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
So somehow you know the personal lives and finances of all or most 3 series drivers?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
So somehow you know the personal lives and finances of all or most 3 series drivers?
Those that I personally know that own BMW 3 or 1 series do fit the profile that WilGar stated to some degree.

Most 1 series coupe owners don't even know that their BMW is rear wheel drive. It is bought because of the name and profile it provides the owner.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:46 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times
I'm sorry but a 328i is NOT a high performance car. Period.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM

201 posts, read 279,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Those that I personally know that own BMW 3 or 1 series do fit the profile that WilGar stated to some degree.

Most 1 series coupe owners don't even know that their BMW is rear wheel drive. It is bought because of the name and profile it provides the owner.
Anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I'm sure that description fits a lot of people that don't drive a 3 series and I'm sure there are a lot of 3 series drivers that don't fit that description. The bottom line is that it's a silly thing to say.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I'm sure that description fits a lot of people that don't drive a 3 series and I'm sure there are a lot of 3 series drivers that don't fit that description. The bottom line is that it's a silly thing to say.
Agreed

Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
I own/drive a 335i coupe (300hp / twin turbo) and it is a fantastic automobile. The road handling and available acceleration when you ask for it is amazing. Driving 70, 80, 90 mph you feel like your sitting in your living room recliner.

I also own a pretty wicked big block corvette with +500 hp so I kinda know what a sports/muscle car is all about.

I say to each his own, live and let live ... Personally my 335i is fun to drive and handles all road conditions like nothing else I've ever owned or driven in my 39 years of driving cars.

There are many great performance cars out there. People that buy them (or lease them) do so for a good reason. They all provide great advantages when handling all types of conditions, i.e., weather, curves, turns, passing, avoiding/getting around haulers, idiot drivers, dumb drivers, etc. So when your driving one of these performance cars and become faced with any one of these situations, your car and your attention to detail makes all the difference. Those that immediately assume these performance car operators are rude, aggressive, etc., are not always looking at the whole situation. Sometimes it's just safer to drive quickly around the cluster than add to it. Here's a shocker to some, "Driving fast is not unsafe if your paying attention to what is happening ALL around you. What makes all driving at all speeds hazardous is the conditions I mentioned above." I'll close with this though. If ALL drivers were ALWAYS paying attention to detail, a speed limit would not even be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
View detailed profiles of: