Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM

144 posts, read 406,569 times

Advertisements

Hey! I recently bought a used car from a dealership here in Los Angeles (last Monday, 8 days ago) and I was told that I'll receive the title in the mail. So far, I haven't gotten it.

How long do I wait before I need to inquire? And whom do I call first - the dealership or DMV?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I have encountered this a couple of different times and it is annoying. Check your state laws on it as there is probably a maximum number of days that they have to get you the title. Last year, we bought a Rav4 from a local Toyota dealership here in Kansas and it took them over 30 days to get us the title. When we went to pay the taxes, we had to pay a penalty. It was a small penalty, but we still had a penalty. Another time, I bought a car from an independent dealer and it took 3 weeks to get the title. They said something about they didn't have the title. I was real nervous about that one because they were kind of shady. They cashed the check real fast. I would call the dealership and if they are dragging their feet, call the state and complain. When I purchase a vehicle and give them the money, I want the title when I leave. I won't go back to a dealership if they can't give me a title when they take the cash. I now ask if they have the title when looking at the vehicle.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Figure anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks average. Assuming they even have the title it has to go to DMV, many times passing thru a title subcontractor. DMV is pretty understaffed and under motivated. I'm sure lots of car are sold before the dealer has the title in his possession. If it was a trade in they may have had to make a payoff to a lender and wait for the lender to send them title. If you bought it from a franchised dealer I would not sweat it at all.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have encountered this a couple of different times and it is annoying. Check your state laws on it as there is probably a maximum number of days that they have to get you the title. Last year, we bought a Rav4 from a local Toyota dealership here in Kansas and it took them over 30 days to get us the title. When we went to pay the taxes, we had to pay a penalty. It was a small penalty, but we still had a penalty. Another time, I bought a car from an independent dealer and it took 3 weeks to get the title. They said something about they didn't have the title. I was real nervous about that one because they were kind of shady. They cashed the check real fast. I would call the dealership and if they are dragging their feet, call the state and complain. When I purchase a vehicle and give them the money, I want the title when I leave. I won't go back to a dealership if they can't give me a title when they take the cash. I now ask if they have the title when looking at the vehicle.
Probably different state to state. Hear the dealer collects sales tax and license fee due up front. They provide the registration service with the DMV. You receive a current registration and title issued in your name by mail from the DMV after the dealer submits the application. In the meantime you drive on a temporary registration you get when you purchased the car.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
Hey! I recently bought a used car from a dealership here in Los Angeles (last Monday, 8 days ago) and I was told that I'll receive the title in the mail. So far, I haven't gotten it.

How long do I wait before I need to inquire? And whom do I call first - the dealership or DMV?

Thanks guys!
CA is a "virtual title" state these days.

The vehicle title is stored in an electronic format within the state motor vehicle system.

If you have financed the car, the title will be held by the state in electronic format with a lien on it to the lender. If you paid in full at the time of purchase, the state will still only hold the title in the electronic system.

Unless you request a title, typically for the purposes of selling the car, there will be no hard paper title issued. Contact the DMV re how to get a hard copy of the title if you need it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 PM

144 posts, read 406,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Probably different state to state. Hear the dealer collects sales tax and license fee due up front. They provide the registration service with the DMV. You receive a current registration and title issued in your name by mail from the DMV after the dealer submits the application. In the meantime you drive on a temporary registration you get when you purchased the car.
Do you by any chance know how long? Or whom should I call if I'm missing the title - DMV or the dealer? Thanks.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
CA is a "virtual title" state these days.

The vehicle title is stored in an electronic format within the state motor vehicle system.

If you have financed the car, the title will be held by the state in electronic format with a lien on it to the lender. If you paid in full at the time of purchase, the state will still only hold the title in the electronic system.

Unless you request a title, typically for the purposes of selling the car, there will be no hard paper title issued. Contact the DMV re how to get a hard copy of the title if you need it.

Well, almost correct.
The electronic title is only available if you have a lienholder AND the lienholder elects to join this program (ELT - Electronic Lien and Title). It won't be until the second half of 2015 or even later that all lienholders are required to participate.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP first call the dealer and see if they indeed sent the title info in and if so the date. Then you can call the DMV and ask them about how long it takes for you to get a copy.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, almost correct.
The electronic title is only available if you have a lienholder AND the lienholder elects to join this program (ELT - Electronic Lien and Title). It won't be until the second half of 2015 or even later that all lienholders are required to participate.
Huh?

AB1215, which went into effect on 7-1-2012, mandated that every DEALER participate in the ELT (electronic vehicle title system).

Part of requiring the dealers to all use the electronic titling system was to save CA's DMV millions of dollars issuing paper titles when they weren't needed for a purchase transaction.

When I used to buy CA cars on paper titles and take them out of state, I always got a paper title in due course. I've not received a paper title from a CA dealer transaction in recent years without requesting it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-19-2014 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Huh?

AB1215, which went into effect on 7-1-2012, mandated that every DEALER participate in the ELT (electronic vehicle title system).

Part of requiring the dealers to all use the electronic titling system was to save CA's DMV millions of dollars issuing paper titles when they weren't needed for a purchase transaction.

When I used to buy CA cars on paper titles and take them out of state, I always got a paper title in due course. I've not received a paper title from a CA dealer transaction in recent years without requesting it.
Paid cash for a car last year and received paper title. Paperless usually used with banks and other financial institutions so far. When loan is paid off bank sends lien satisfied to borrower who can then apply for title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive