Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That statement puzzles me.
If water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, if a 50/50 coolant/water mixture boils at 223 F, and if a 70/30 mix of coolant/water boils at 235 degrees...how is 100% water more effective at cooling than water mixed with coolant?

Water is the cooling ingredient in a mixture of Ethylene glycol and water. If you ran straight antifreeze you would soon have a heating problem. The maximum efficiency is achieved by running a 50/50 mixture. You can run up to 70% if you live in alaska, but it isn't usually necessary.
Water boils at 212 at sea level. Under pressure the boiling point is raised 2 degrees for every pound of pressure in the system. If you have a 15 lb radiator cap, the boiling point is raised 30 degrees, or 242 degrees, before adding Antifreeze.
Modern cars are all deigned to run at well over 212 degrees for maximum efficiency.
...and all the op wanted was to know why is car smoked....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
Default No COOLANT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Well below freezing.. admittedly it's just water. I noticed my engine running hot last week and I never made it to the store to buy coolant, I didn't even think about that being an issue and cause of problem.

I feel like a dunce now for being lazy and neglectful... and now it could potentially be costly. I need to have the repair shop put coolant in ASAP.
Just water?Man,possibly cracked block,as water turns into ice,it expands ,the reservoir and radiator are probaly shot too. Coolant is just as important as motor oil. Just water is a no-no. Hate to say,but most likely your better off getting a new car,if possible. Depends if that block is cracked.It's gonna cost a pretty penny to replace parts. Always check your fluids,at least you know now. Lessons are learned the hard way sometimes.Let us know what happens.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
50/50 coolant at 15 pounds pressure boils at 265 Degrees f.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
No heat? Thermostat might be shot. Simple to replace. And could lead to some of the other problems which you are having.

Squeaky noise? With running water in the radiator on a well below freezing night? More than likely the water pump is frozen up, the belt that turns it is slipping as it tries to turn the frozen pump. Stinky burning smell, and steam from the water melting.

Get it inside, thaw it out, examine and maybe replace the belt or dress it with a special lubricant, refill with the proper antifreeze/coolant and water mixture, and pray you don't need a new water pump. Unlikely you cracked the block or head as it isn't THAT cold yet, but it could be.....

Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Thank you Ron for the informative post....

To report... When the tow arrived they needed to start my car and move it to position it for the toe. Low and behold it started fine with no noises.. No smoke.. No shreaking from my belt. At the repair shop they started too and same result and said it sounded normal.

Obviously I explained everything as I did with you all and they said they'd check the water pump and other relevant areas to find the root of any issues. Again as I said earlier I'll keep everyone in the loop of what they find.. Probably by this evening from what I was told.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Holy Cow, psur, go out and buy a lottery ticket. NOW.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
Chances of cracking the block from water freezing is slim. Ever motor had freeze plugs in it to prevent this. They allow for fluid expansion and pop out if it get pressure from freezing.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
My fingers are certainly crossed for a best case scenario verdict...

Again.. Can't thank you all enough. You've all been so amazing with your input.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Ask them to find out why the coolant leaked in the first place while they are there. That was your issue.

Likely, the water froze and the belt slipped on the water pump because it wasn't moving.

Glad to see everything is sorta normal.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Chances of cracking the block from water freezing is slim. Ever motor had freeze plugs in it to prevent this. They allow for fluid expansion and pop out if it get pressure from freezing.
"Freeze plugs" are actually core plugs. The holes they plug are part of the casting process.

I've seen many a block cracked by freezing and the core plugs never budged. Or some plugs popped out and the block still cracked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive