U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
My fingers are certainly crossed for a best case scenario verdict...

Again.. Can't thank you all enough. You've all been so amazing with your input.
Three days later, you should have gotten the verdict--be it good or bad.
Could you return our favors by posting the outcome of this situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,224,033 times
Quote:
Well below freezing.. admittedly it's just water. I noticed my engine running hot last week and I never made it to the store to buy coolant, I didn't even think about that being an issue and cause of problem.

I feel like a dunce now for being lazy and neglectful... and now it could potentially be costly. I need to have the repair shop put coolant in ASAP.

OK, lesson learned.

For the future, be aware that there are various fluids in an engine compartment and each requires a specific type of fluid.

Some vehicles may require different fluids than other vehicles. Fluids have a "specification". For example a heavy duty pick-up truck may have brakes which can get very very hot going downhill with a load. The vehicle manufacturer may specify a specific brake fluid which can handle the heat better.

Radiator coolant can be a specific type as well! (Don't put in any until you learn the correct type to use.)

Read your car owner's manual cover to cover. That will tell you which specific fluids go where.

FYI - Here are one vehicle's various fluid specifications...
SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS, LUBRICANTS: Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ-, FZJ-, HZJ-, HDJ-80) | IH8MUD Forum

Last edited by Billy_J; 11-22-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,252,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Three days later, you should have gotten the verdict--be it good or bad.
Could you return our favors by posting the outcome of this situation?

Believe it or not I finally got the call TODAY that it has been repaired. Sorry I did not get back sooner because I knew Friday what they needed to do.

They had to replace the housing unit that stores the coolant/anti-freeze as it did in fact have a leak, and it was also pretty beat up anyway. On top of that they had to change the temperature gauge.

The next step is a belt replacement but he did say that if I needed to wait to ease the pain of the cost to do this current fix that I can, so I think I will for now... but in the next few weeks I will replace the belt.

Good news is that this fix did also fix my heating issue... I think someone mentioned earlier that a real worst case situation would be if my AC compressor went but I'm guessing that since my heat is now working again then I may have lucked out.

They think the cause of the leak had something to do with the valve cover gasket? I tried to follow the explanation on the phone, but it had something to do with this part and oil somehow seeping through and then it actually burnt up the area of the housing unit which created the leak. He also recommended getting that replaced because down the road it would probably happen again. I'll try to get a better understanding when I pick up the care and maybe I can explain better.

As of now I escaped with a couple hundred dollar repair.. but clearly have a few more hundred dollars to go for a complete fix. For now though... it's working again.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:18 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,807,585 times
They replaced the coolant reservoir and a temp sensor for a few hundred?? I hope they flushed the coolant system for that money.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:32 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,252,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
They replaced the coolant reservoir and a temp sensor for a few hundred?? I hope they flushed the coolant system for that money.
Yes.. it was completely flushed out.. my mistake for leaving out that detail, considering that's why it raised the cost significantly.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM

467 posts, read 1,238,347 times
Quote:
Believe it or not I finally got the call TODAY that it has been repaired. Sorry I did not get back sooner because I knew Friday what they needed to do.

They had to replace the housing unit that stores the coolant/anti-freeze as it did in fact have a leak, and it was also pretty beat up anyway. On top of that they had to change the temperature gauge.

The next step is a belt replacement but he did say that if I needed to wait to ease the pain of the cost to do this current fix that I can, so I think I will for now... but in the next few weeks I will replace the belt.

Good news is that this fix did also fix my heating issue... I think someone mentioned earlier that a real worst case situation would be if my AC compressor went but I'm guessing that since my heat is now working again then I may have lucked out.

They think the cause of the leak had something to do with the valve cover gasket? I tried to follow the explanation on the phone, but it had something to do with this part and oil somehow seeping through and then it actually burnt up the area of the housing unit which created the leak. He also recommended getting that replaced because down the road it would probably happen again. I'll try to get a better understanding when I pick up the care and maybe I can explain better.

As of now I escaped with a couple hundred dollar repair.. but clearly have a few more hundred dollars to go for a complete fix. For now though... it's working again.

A replacement coolant reservoir, for your vehicle, will cost around $30. A temp sensor will cost around $20. A thermostat housing unit will cost around $35-$45. A new valve cover gasket will cost around $20-$30. And, a serpentine belt will cost around $25-$30. These prices are approximate, of course, and will vary depending on where you live. Then you have to thrown in labor charges.

Following your explanation of repairs you spent about $50 in parts for a new reservoir and temp sensor, or $65-$75 for a reservoir and thermostat housing unit. Plus about $10 in fresh coolant. The rest was in labor charges.

If the valve cover is leaking that much oil onto the thermostat housing unit, and causing it to malfunction, then you should think about getting a new gasket installed sooner rather than later. To be honest I would think that if it was leaking that much oil you would have known about it before now with either a mess on your driveway, or having to add excessive oil between oil changes. And, I don't see how oil dripping onto the thermostat housing unit would cause it to malfunction. My guess is that it failed for some other reason.

You might get by with not having to change the serpentine belt since you shut off the engine within just a few seconds after it started to squeal and smoke. However, if the belt was original, it was more than likely past due to be changed anyway. In that case the belt was already in bad condition and that little bit of heat/friction might have pushed it over the edge. Spend the money and get it replaced as soon as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive