U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,555,972 times

Advertisements

We all risk choking every time we eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,122,402 times
I don't know... I think Bob has a point. I mean really, if we can't trust manufacturers to make an airbag that works, what is the point of having them? I think they should be abolished. We can take steps to protect ourselves more effectively than some disgruntled assembly line worker building our airbag.

From now on, I will be driving my vehicles while wearing high tech safety equipment.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,720,200 times
Count me in on the camp to keep airbags.

Several years ago I was in an accident where the other guy driving towards me suddenly turned directly in front of me with no warning. Airbags went off. Based on everything, without airbags, I would likely have broken at least one leg or something. With the airbags, I had some bruises and contusions, but they healed a lot faster than broken bones would have.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,936,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
OP - your Congress person will ignore you. Even a million potentially defective air bags, a few of which could cause a problem, don't diminish the value of them across the millions of cars on the road today.
On the news last night, the broadcaster stated the count world wide is more likely over a billion affected vehicles.
Now THAT is good cause to re-think the installation of these devices.
I still feel we would all be more at ease behind the wheel if we didn't have to think about what if the bags deployed.
It is like having a ticking time bomb on board, only thing is, we never know when it going to deploy and cause serious injury, or even death.
The auto makers are telling us not to allow passengers in the front passenger seat until the system is fixed.
Now that alone should tell you these bags are an extreme danger.

Another important point to think about is used vehicles for sale.
Dealers are not required by any law to state a particular vehicle they are selling , is on the recall list.

That only adds more evidence as to why these systems should be removed permanently from ALL vehicles A.S.A.P.
And you all sit there and say you are for air bags.
You folks are out of your minds.
Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 11-19-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 PM

5,148 posts, read 3,611,020 times
My mom was saved by the side and side curtain airbags in a 2008 Honda Accord. Had those bags not gone off, she would have been seriously injured. She got t-boned by a 2005 Chevy Impala doing 45 mph, right in the driver's door, and walked away with a couple bruises that healed quickly.

A friend from college was saved by the steering wheel airbag in a 2009 Honda Accord, and her boyfriend was saved by the passenger airbag. Neither were injured in the crash, which was fairly violent.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
My mom was saved by the side and side curtain airbags in a 2008 Honda Accord. Had those bags not gone off, she would have been seriously injured. She got t-boned by a 2005 Chevy Impala doing 45 mph, right in the driver's door, and walked away with a couple bruises that healed quickly.

A friend from college was saved by the steering wheel airbag in a 2009 Honda Accord, and her boyfriend was saved by the passenger airbag. Neither were injured in the crash, which was fairly violent.

You and a few others are missing the point.
I never stated in any of my post that air bags didn't help in reducing injuries in an accident.
What I am trying to get across to you, and the rest is, regardless of how, or when these bags save lives, they also are the cause of serious injury to both driver and passenger, by deploying when their is no accident.
That is reason enough to take them out of all vehicles.
As an example, let's say you are driving on a freeway or expressway at 65mph, and the bag in the steering wheel deploys.
That would most likely end in your death, because you would more than likely crash into something.
It is this unexpected deployment that is the problem, and the cure is to remove them from all vehicles before that happens.
Like I said, it's a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, and you and others posting here would do well to give that a lot of thought.

Bob.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,548,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You and a few others are missing the point.
I never stated in any of my post that air bags didn't help in reducing injuries in an accident.
What I am trying to get across to you, and the rest is, regardless of how, or when these bags save lives, they also are the cause of serious injury to both driver and passenger, by deploying when their is no accident.
That is reason enough to take them out of all vehicles.
As an example, let's say you are driving on a freeway or expressway at 65mph, and the bag in the steering wheel deploys.
That would most likely end in your death, because you would more than likely crash into something.
It is this unexpected deployment that is the problem, and the cure is to remove them from all vehicles before that happens.
Like I said, it's a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, and you and others posting here would do well to give that a lot of thought.

Bob.
They deploy close to 1/100th of a second, deflate in three seconds, wtf are you going to do, try and swerve from it? By the time you notice it deployed, it would be in your lap.

See; none of you can say anything to me ever again about my dislike of dsg's, hybrids, or back-up cameras, it's sane childs play compared to removing of the life saving deathbags, and I will remind you...

Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,548,660 times
I like how one of the similar threads is Russian Roulette Sex, in relationships.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
They deploy close to 1/100th of a second, deflate in three seconds, wtf are you going to do, try and swerve from it? By the time you notice it deployed, it would be in your lap.

See; none of you can say anything to me ever again about my dislike of dsg's, hybrids, or back-up cameras, it's sane childs play compared to removing of the life saving deathbags, and I will remind you...
I am fully aware of just how fast air bags deploy, and as of late, their are cases where the metal pieces holding the bag in place have deployed as well, causing injury.
I am not one who wants to wait until I am blinded by this metal flying out of the wheel at that speed.
If just one person is injured by this event, that is one to many, when it could all be avoided by simply removing the system.
One thing I know for sure, it will do no harm to inquire to my reps in congress to see if this is doable.
I know if I don't speak up, nothing will be done.

Bob.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,824 posts, read 37,497,249 times
no airbags in my 1976 Rabbit ($35 for whole car)
100% Crumple zone

50 mpg since 1976, no OPEC, dinosaurs or wars required.

When I am feeling unsafe / vulnerable, I drive my MACK truck, or Kenworth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive