U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 AM

31,066 posts, read 24,501,452 times

Advertisements

i am not a big proponent of air bags myself, they do serve a purpose, and that is they save lives. and while i drive cars without airbags these days, i have never had a problem with cars that do have air bags.

are there ones with issues? yes, you cant get away from it. are those issues major? not really. if the drivers side air bag goes off while driving, it is an inconvenience, and can cause the drive to unload involuntarily, but in the end there is no real safety issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 AM

5,161 posts, read 3,647,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You and a few others are missing the point.
I never stated in any of my post that air bags didn't help in reducing injuries in an accident.
What I am trying to get across to you, and the rest is, regardless of how, or when these bags save lives, they also are the cause of serious injury to both driver and passenger, by deploying when their is no accident.
That is reason enough to take them out of all vehicles.
As an example, let's say you are driving on a freeway or expressway at 65mph, and the bag in the steering wheel deploys.
That would most likely end in your death, because you would more than likely crash into something.
It is this unexpected deployment that is the problem, and the cure is to remove them from all vehicles before that happens.
Like I said, it's a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, and you and others posting here would do well to give that a lot of thought.

Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXZOjK9AZU

Notice around 0:30 - 0:32. This is a side crash test where the steering wheel airbag deploys. Notice that it doesn't even hit the driver and deflates quickly. In 1/4 of a second, that bag is limp. The driver would be able to stop the vehicle unharmed. This is the same airbag I trust my life with.

Some airbags aren't so well designed, but most steering wheel airbags in 2007 and later models would not injure most drivers in case of a random deployment. Even in older models, the bag deflates so fast that it would be very unlikely to cause a wreck.

Unexpected deployment is VERY rare. I'd rather have a rare, odd injury from unexpected deployment than thousands die from a lack of airbags.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM

266 posts, read 221,617 times
Quote:
On the news last night, the broadcaster stated the count world wide is more likely over a billion affected vehicles.
I think someone's confused, there's not much more than a billion cars out there in the world altogether.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,745,330 times
Quote:
On the news last night, the broadcaster stated the count world wide is more likely over a billion affected vehicles.
Now THAT is good cause to re-think the installation of these devices.
I still feel we would all be more at ease behind the wheel if we didn't have to think about what if the bags deployed.
It is like having a ticking time bomb on board, only thing is, we never know when it going to deploy and cause serious injury, or even death.
The auto makers are telling us not to allow passengers in the front passenger seat until the system is fixed.
Now that alone should tell you these bags are an extreme danger.

Another important point to think about is used vehicles for sale.
Dealers are not required by any law to state a particular vehicle they are selling , is on the recall list.

That only adds more evidence as to why these systems should be removed permanently from ALL vehicles A.S.A.P.
And you all sit there and say you are for air bags.
You folks are out of your minds.
Bob.
Your Russian roulette analogy is only applicable if the gun barrel has millions of cartridges.

Do you sit behind your steering wheel worried that you might die of your airbag activates? Are you naturally fearful of imperfection in the mechanical devices you use every day?

I say fix the defective airbags and move on. Punish the manufacturer. There are likely three Hondas in my family affected by the recall. I will get them fixed as soon as I get the notice.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,665,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your Russian roulette analogy is only applicable if the gun barrel has millions of cartridges.

Do you sit behind your steering wheel worried that you might die of your airbag activates? Are you naturally fearful of imperfection in the mechanical devices you use every day?

I say fix the defective airbags and move on. Punish the manufacturer. There are likely three Hondas in my family affected by the recall. I will get them fixed as soon as I get the notice.
And what was the old saying Japanese products are far more superior to American products. Well guess not had the wool pulled over our eys for a long time. How many other things has a Japanese auto supplier lied about. If it were a American supplier there would be a let's skin them alive outcry. Everyone wanted to execute GM what about Toyota and their coverup on the sticking gas pedal. The Toyota gas pedal killed more people than the GM ignition problem.

Last edited by Vannort54; 11-20-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,958,750 times
Out of all of the recalled airbags, deployments occur on a daily basis, with no problems. There is more potential for problems with the affected units, but out of all the deployments there have been very few units that disintegrated.

My cars aren't affected by the recalls, but personally, I would still rather take my chances with a pre-recall airbag rather than getting scalped by the steering wheel or B-pillar.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM

7,123 posts, read 5,311,540 times
Quote:
That only adds more evidence as to why these systems should be removed permanently from ALL vehicles A.S.A.P.
Bob.
You remind me of the folks that don't vaccinate their kids or the folks that don't wear seatblets because they could be thrown free of the accident (a small percentage) instead being thrown to their death through a windshield (a much larger percentage.)

I had my life saved by airbags just yesterday, thank you very much.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,216,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
And what was the old saying Japanese products are far more superior to American products. Well guess not had the wool pulled over our eys for a long time. How many other things has a Japanese auto supplier lied about. If it were a American supplier there would be a let's skin them alive outcry. Everyone wanted to execute GM what about Toyota and their coverup on the sticking gas pedal. The Toyota gas pedal killed more people than the GM ignition problem.
...Except that this has absolutely nothing to do with the airbag recall, and you are completely incorrect about the gas pedal issue.

It was an automotive SUPPLIER, Takata, that made the airbags. They are not an auto manufacturer. GM's ignition issues were known internally for years, that's a BIG difference.

Takata supplied faulty air bags to several manufacturers. It's not the manufacturers fault for putting them in their cars. The list of manufacturers who used Takata airbags includes BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Pontiac, Saab... not just Japanese manufacturers.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,665,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Except that this has absolutely nothing to do with the airbag recall, and you are completely incorrect about the gas pedal issue.

It was an automotive SUPPLIER, Takata, that made the airbags. They are not an auto manufacturer. GM's ignition issues were known internally for years, that's a BIG difference.

Takata supplied faulty air bags to several manufacturers. It's not the manufacturers fault for putting them in their cars. The list of manufacturers who used Takata airbags includes BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Pontiac, Saab... not just Japanese manufacturers.
And Toyota knew also and tried to cover it up.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,846,444 times
Default Not worth panic

Quote:
Now THAT is good cause to re-think the installation of these devices.
I still feel we would all be more at ease behind the wheel if we didn't have to think about what if the bags deployed.
It is like having a ticking time bomb on board, only thing is, and cause serious injury, or even death.
The auto makers are telling us not to allow passengers in the front passenger seat until the system is fixed.
Now that alone should tell you these bags are an extreme danger.

Another important point to think about is used vehicles for sale.
Dealers are not required by any law to state a particular vehicle they are selling , is on the recall list.

Bob.
First of all - a billion vehicles is 66 years worth of US sales at current pace. Not sure, but that may be more vehicles than have ever been sold in the USA. Your source, the news broadcaster, is a moron if they actually used this figure. If you believed it - well, figure it out.

Next - a ticking time bomb?!? The recall is not about airbags randomly deploying. While that may have happened a few times, we are discussing a recall that involves a deterioration of the propellant and is dangerous when deployed. Almost always in an accident. Only in a few hundred situations, and only resulting in a documented +/- 100 cases of injury. Serious? Yes. Panic inducing? No.

Auto makers are not telling people to avoid the front seat. Toyota is telling affected customers to avoid using the front seat. That tells me they are worried about liability, not that there is an extreme danger.

Also, as an automotive professional with experience in several segments of the industry, I can assure you there are rules in most states regarding the sale of vehicles with open recalls. Do your homework and stop freaking out over some crap on the nightly news that is being driven by ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive