U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,830,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Every time we get behind the wheel of our vehicles, we are playing the odds.
With ALL the recent (and perhaps more to come) recalls because of faulty air bags , we are hoping against hope that we won't be seriously injured by a deploying air bag.
The list of vehicles is growing day by day, and I believe we are at the point where we have to question the feasibility of these systems being installed at all.
I am, in the next day or so, going to contact my reps in congress, and see if a bill can be drawn up to do away with these physically damaging devices from ALL vehicles.
The hell with trying to fix them, just get rid of them once and for all.
We are in a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, wondering if the unit will deploy and cause untold amounts of physical damage, including, but not limited too blindness.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would feel a whole lot safer if this system was not in my vehicles.
It is my understanding some of these bags deployed without there being a crash.
That in itself is a scary thought.
I say get rid of them, and now.
Bob.
You don't really understand the concept of odds, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM
gg

16,952 posts, read 17,190,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
more than 30,000 per year die in car accidents in the US. So far, apparently 4 have died as a result of the airbags in the U.S, over 10 years' time.

But, but, but the media hyped up the 4 people over those 10 years to the point that the 30,000 in a YEAR more, so that means airbags are bad.

Gotta love the media hype over everything. They sure get people going. Always look at real statistics if you can find them and check EVERYTHING for yourself. The media is just for entertainment purposes, not for real news reporting. It is all about advertising dollars.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Just as they and a lawyers who obvious feed them stories the Toyota recall and stories feed by lawyers involved never forget the trail lawyers. They are the most powerful lobby in Democratic party with the decline in labor union lobby. One only had to what the congressional hearing and out rage rather than search for fact in hearings. They even disputed fact given by their own agency which came to be accepted in end when all the evidence was in. Politics and money trial as always to be followed.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,623,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
First of all - a billion vehicles is 66 years worth of US sales at current pace. Not sure, but that may be more vehicles than have ever been sold in the USA. Your source, the news broadcaster, is a moron if they actually used this figure. If you believed it - well, figure it out.

Next - a ticking time bomb?!? The recall is not about airbags randomly deploying. While that may have happened a few times, we are discussing a recall that involves a deterioration of the propellant and is dangerous when deployed. Almost always in an accident. Only in a few hundred situations, and only resulting in a documented +/- 100 cases of injury. Serious? Yes. Panic inducing? No.

Auto makers are not telling people to avoid the front seat. Toyota is telling affected customers to avoid using the front seat. That tells me they are worried about liability, not that there is an extreme danger.

Also, as an automotive professional with experience in several segments of the industry, I can assure you there are rules in most states regarding the sale of vehicles with open recalls. Do your homework and stop freaking out over some crap on the nightly news that is being driven by ratings.
The OP is not very objective.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,638,027 times
You can blame law firms with class action lawsuits against everything from hip replacement, to the GM ignition switch. They advertise on the low rated tv stations that show Jerry springer. Ambulance chasing lawyers.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:59 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
I want to see the numbers.

1. How many people were saved by airbags since they have been installed in cars.

2. How many people were killed by airbags since they have been installed in cars.

All we seem to hear from the OP is the possibility of something happening. We do know that accidents happen in cars. They have been happening since cars were invented. People get into wrecks, that is a fact. It is a fact that I have been in a wreck that deployed airbags. It is a fact that the smell from the airbag took a long time to get out of my system. it is a fact that the smell reminded me of the accident making me sick as my wife and kids were in that van and the accident placed them in danger. It is an oppinion that the airbag saved us from further danger. We were also wearing seatbelts and those belts could have done the same thing. All I can say is that I am glad we had airbags.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM

14,813 posts, read 18,816,348 times
Quote:
I am, in the next day or so, going to contact my reps in congress, and see if a bill can be drawn up to do away with these physically damaging devices from ALL vehicles.
The hell with trying to fix them, just get rid of them once and for all.
I'm more concerned about the millions of cars on the roads that haven't had any maintenance done on them for more than 5 years

Old 11-20-2014, 04:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Except that this has absolutely nothing to do with the airbag recall, and you are completely incorrect about the gas pedal issue.

It was an automotive SUPPLIER, Takata, that made the airbags. They are not an auto manufacturer. GM's ignition issues were known internally for years, that's a BIG difference.

Takata supplied faulty air bags to several manufacturers. It's not the manufacturers fault for putting them in their cars. The list of manufacturers who used Takata airbags includes BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Pontiac, Saab... not just Japanese manufacturers.
I think they are the only company who makes airbags, I know there isn't many, I'd say two tops.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times
Quote:
I am fully aware of just how fast air bags deploy, and as of late, their are cases where the metal pieces holding the bag in place have deployed as well, causing injury.
I am not one who wants to wait until I am blinded by this metal flying out of the wheel at that speed.
If just one person is injured by this event, that is one to many, when it could all be avoided by simply removing the system.
One thing I know for sure, it will do no harm to inquire to my reps in congress to see if this is doable.
I know if I don't speak up, nothing will be done.

Bob.
That was just a rare cirxumstance, I've handled a few of them, and there is little metal in one, aside from the metal casing on the sides, and back, no metal impedes airbag travel, even the plastic/rubber cover is moved in a way for the same reason. The problem might not even be the bag itself, could be wiring, or inertia switch, I'm sure all these recalled bags are not going to be tossing shrapnel in your face.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM

12,579 posts, read 12,804,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Well Bob, there is an easier answer. If you are not convinced that the modern battery of safety devices is actually a benefit, feel free to purchase a vehicle made prior to 1965 and utilize it for your daily commute. No pesky airbags and uncomfortable seat belts. No need to worry about crumple zones and energy absorbing materials, updated rollover protection, side impact panels, or puncture resistant fuel tanks.

In the meantime, I will sit in my modern car with an airbag knowing that the combination of appropriately worn restraining belts, airbags, and crumple zones will protect me from the millions of distracted morons speeding along the improved freeway systems looking at their GPS and talking on their phones. My wife will be in her seat, without her legs on the dash (in the blast area of the airbags) in an upright position so her seat belt will hold her in place, and she will also be paying attention to the world around her. My children will be restrained in age appropriate car seats with tethers and harnesses all buckled, so in the event of a worst case scenario we will have the most appropriate safety devices protecting us from harm. That is my choice for my family.

Those are the odds I will play, based on the statistics from the NHTSA and the experts at AAA, my insurance company, the public safety agency I work for, and my own common sense. You feel free to play whatever odds work for you..
Wouldn't have to go that far back. He could find a car from the 80s without airbag(s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive