U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM

4,773 posts, read 6,934,160 times

Advertisements

Every time we get behind the wheel of our vehicles, we are playing the odds.
With ALL the recent (and perhaps more to come) recalls because of faulty air bags , we are hoping against hope that we won't be seriously injured by a deploying air bag.
The list of vehicles is growing day by day, and I believe we are at the point where we have to question the feasibility of these systems being installed at all.
I am, in the next day or so, going to contact my reps in congress, and see if a bill can be drawn up to do away with these physically damaging devices from ALL vehicles.
The hell with trying to fix them, just get rid of them once and for all.
We are in a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, wondering if the unit will deploy and cause untold amounts of physical damage, including, but not limited too blindness.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would feel a whole lot safer if this system was not in my vehicles.
It is my understanding some of these bags deployed without there being a crash.
That in itself is a scary thought.
I say get rid of them, and now.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,296,600 times
For every person you manage to convince to send a letter supporting the elimination of airbags I'll find a hundred more who will send a letter advocating for the opposite. Airbags are good for society and have saved countless lives since their mainstream implementation. While I'm certainly concerned about the Takata issue and demand that it be corrected the fact remains is that this is a quality control issue rather than an inherent problem with airbags.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,821,999 times
Well Bob, there is an easier answer. If you are not convinced that the modern battery of safety devices is actually a benefit, feel free to purchase a vehicle made prior to 1965 and utilize it for your daily commute. No pesky airbags and uncomfortable seat belts. No need to worry about crumple zones and energy absorbing materials, updated rollover protection, side impact panels, or puncture resistant fuel tanks.

In the meantime, I will sit in my modern car with an airbag knowing that the combination of appropriately worn restraining belts, airbags, and crumple zones will protect me from the millions of distracted morons speeding along the improved freeway systems looking at their GPS and talking on their phones. My wife will be in her seat, without her legs on the dash (in the blast area of the airbags) in an upright position so her seat belt will hold her in place, and she will also be paying attention to the world around her. My children will be restrained in age appropriate car seats with tethers and harnesses all buckled, so in the event of a worst case scenario we will have the most appropriate safety devices protecting us from harm. That is my choice for my family.

Those are the odds I will play, based on the statistics from the NHTSA and the experts at AAA, my insurance company, the public safety agency I work for, and my own common sense. You feel free to play whatever odds work for you..

Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,296,600 times
People need to think before lambasting technology they don't properly understand. It's like critics of autonomous driving who claim it shouldn't exist because of the lives that will be lost when the computer crashes or makes an error. Will there be deaths due to glitches (particularly first generation tech)? Absolutely. Will they be greatly offset by the number of lives saved due to autonomous driving tech? Without a doubt.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,547,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With ALL the recent (and perhaps more to come) recalls because of faulty air bags , we are hoping against hope that we won't be seriously injured by a deploying air bag.
The list of vehicles is growing day by day, and I believe we are at the point where we have to question the feasibility of these systems being installed at all.
I am, in the next day or so, going to contact my reps in congress, and see if a bill can be drawn up to do away with these physically damaging devices from ALL vehicles.
We are in a crapp shoot each and every time we get behind the wheel, wondering if the unit will deploy and cause untold amounts of physical damage, including, but not limited too blindness.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would feel a whole lot safer if this system was not in my vehicles.
Bob.
I'm not a big fan of them either- but it is one device I think is okay. What would you rather have; foam discharge cannisters, like in Demolition Man.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,579,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.
Why don't you just remove the airbags in your vehicles and the problem is solved for yourself? I'll keep mine.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,037,836 times
I was in a bad accident while riding shotgun in a 1990 BMW 3 series (flew over a creek bed, nosed into opposing bank, endoe'd up over our nose and hit a tree, spun around and landed back up by road). No airbag on my side of any kind, driver had a steering wheel one. I had a severe case of whiplash that lasted almost a year in total, my friend driving was fine. I'm lucky, probably should've broken my neck, instead I pulled/tore every muscle in my neck. Not to mention the tree we hit upside down almost squished me. You can give up your airbags, don't try and make the rest of us do it.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:48 PM

418 posts, read 472,771 times
more than 30,000 per year die in car accidents in the US. So far, apparently 4 have died as a result of the airbags in the U.S, over 10 years' time. Sure, we're playing Russian roulette, but that's just by driving a car at all. Of course, I'd like my car to be as safe as it can be. But cars are always going to be kind of dangerous.

at the same time, car accident deaths are way down in absolute terms, even as miles driven goes up up up, mostly due to safety features like air bags.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times
Actually worse than that is the odds and number being killed as result of accident even disregarding recalls. Drunken drivers are far worse danger to you when in a vehicle on roadway. Most recalls are not really any worse than many vehicles condition being driven that endanger you.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,628,032 times
OP - your Congress person will ignore you. Even a million potentially defective air bags, a few of which could cause a problem, don't diminish the value of them across the millions of cars on the road today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive