Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM

11,026 posts, read 7,750,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Perhaps you should consider leasing a vehicle since you don't plan on keeping it long.
Absolutely not if you're going to put 20,000 miles a year on the car. You're probably much better off with a new, inexpensive car. Look at Kia Optima or Forte and Hyundai Sonata and Elantra. All have five year, 60,000 mile complete warranties with powertrain good for 100,000 miles. And all these are probably more affordable than a recent used car that you'd need to buy an expensive extended warranty on for similar coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM

379 posts, read 337,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Ok Ill bite. What kind of repairs are you needing on a 2013 Mercedes?
Sorry, I meant I bought it in 2013. It's a 1998 with 150K miles (had 140K when I got it).

Well, too many to list here in full splendor. The "most critical" ones are:

1) Rear differential leak. $600 to fix. I have not noticed this and am skeptical so would not consider it.

2) "Front wheel bearings have play." $430.

3) "Left inner tie rod has play, needs alignment." $345.

4) Washer reservoir must be cleaned or replaced, $65.

5) Replace coolant circulation pump, $395.

6) Replace spark plugs, $410.

the fair value of the car is probably $1500. My current plan is to drive it into the ground, which is probably another 5K or hopefully 10K miles. I have already previously put 2K in repairs in the car in 15 months.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
I think you're right about Toyota and Honda but also consider Nissan. All are very well made and last. But if you're going to be putting 50,000 or 60,000 miles on it in the next three years, I'd suggest going new. The basic, economy, vehicle in each line will hold it's value pretty well. And if you start with a used one, with say 40,000 or 50,000 miles, you'll be driving a car with over 100,000 before you're finished and any car with that many miles will likely have problems.
Thanks, I forgot to mention Nissan. my neighbor has a Nissan Versa that is 3 years old and seems happy with it. Almost 40 mpg, and one of the cheapest new cars available.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Unless you're moving into New York City, chances are you will need a car even in big cities like DC, Atlanta, LA, etc.
I didn't have a car in Chicago for almost 10 years. Just rented infrequently and would like to eventually get back there. I would lease but I don't think there's any way I can stay under 12000 miles/year for 3 years.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
After reading closely - I think the OP has a used Mercedes which was purchased midyear 2013 and has now determined it is too expensive. I suspect it is not a 2013 model year car we are discussing.

OP, can you provide us with a little more information please? What type of car do you need, small and economical (40 mpg) or is comfort going to be more important? Fuel economy versus amenities that you feel will be important to you can be subjective and there are some comfortable midsize cars that can get 30 mpg on the highway if that is what you will be doing. If you bought a used Mercedes, what is the driving force behind that decision? If we understand what made you buy that vehicle (and what it actually is, model, year, and mileage) we may be able to offer up some better advice or information.
Good points! I bought the Mercedes because it was really cheap. Seemed like a great deal. I hadn't owned a car in a long time and was unaware of the expense of maintenance on European imports. Well, now I know.

Generally I am not picky. By far the biggest concern for me is fuel efficiency. Don't need much comfort or storage. I will be logging a lot of highway miles but mostly just around Portland metro area, on I5 and then some on Washington 14 going out to the Gorge. Maybe a trip to Yellowstone or similar two or three times during the 3 years. So given the need for reliability, my mechanical ineptitude and the fact that new Honda and Nissan subcompacts seem to hold their value OK I'm considering that again.
The Mercedes is a 1998 E320, has 150K miles now. It needs close to $1000 in repairs which I'm not prepared to do since I don't think it'll make it much longer before more repairs are needed. Seems like a good car for somebody who knows how to fix things up and if I don't get anything offered as a trade-in I will try to sell it really cheap to someone with mechanical inclination.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks, I just checked out total cost of ownership on kbb.com. Yes, the car I got is not good. Not good at all. It's a bad financial decision but luckily it was cheap when I bought it, just the maintenance has been bad. It's not something that is wrecking my life (yet...). It looks like Honda and Nissan get great mileage and additionally seem to hold their resale value pretty well. Especially the Honda Fit. I have seen a couple 2011's sell for only a few thousand less than they cost back then. Given the savings on gas and maintenance, that's not bad at all. Thanks for suggesting the cost of ownership tool, that's something I should've checked out sooner.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:32 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
You haven’t said how much you are willing to spend.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You haven’t said how much you are willing to spend.
Probably 20K tops. Preferably a bit less which is why I like the Honda Fit/Nissan Versa/Ford Fiesta segment of the new car market.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,643,072 times
Dare I say, that really isn't much to spend. It is a car with 150k, you will spend money on it.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 PM

I agree it wouldn't be much to spend, the problem is I see the writing on the wall and doubt that will be the extent of the repairs for long.

Thanks to the helpful advice here I think I've decided on a new car- either Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, or Ford Fiesta. Only interested in Fiesta because of 0% financing. So probably I will see what kind of trade-in offer I get at each place and decide from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive