U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM

13,752 posts, read 18,389,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
When I used to work at a Pantera restoration shop we had a guy that owned a detailing company.. He detailed high end cars ONLY...

He went to University to become a bio chemical engineer... He went into that field and realized that he really didn't want to do that.. BUT he loved cars and decided with his background he could detail very well..

Well he used to use products that might cost $.50 a quart or $100 a quart.. Just depended on what ingredients it had.. he also developed his own set of products....

Anyway, he used to say - No matter how good the product, no matter what the claim, if your paint was not good to begin with or was not top notch you were NOT going to get the mirror finish that you might be expecting... In other words, that show car finish would never be achieved on your mom's Oldsmobile like it would be on a show car....

And I believe this.. I have used everything from cheapo polishes and waxes to ultra high end stuff and depending on my paint I would get different results... So it is NOT only in the details and product is HAS to be in the paint to begin with.....
That's true, but in the context of extremes it really isn't helpful to the average person. Most people (presumably, like the OP) do not need a "show car" finish on their daily drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:10 AM

13,752 posts, read 18,389,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yep, I have the same Harbor Freight polisher. Great deal
I love mine. I no longer detail professionally but I still do it on the side for spending money. I've used my Harbor Freight DA on probably close to 100 complete details now without a hiccup.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I love mine. I no longer detail professionally but I still do it on the side for spending money. I've used my Harbor Freight DA on probably close to 100 complete details now without a hiccup.
Yep, from what I read it is the same as the HD DA Polisher (which goes for a lot more money)

Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 PM

5,328 posts, read 3,589,684 times
I too have the same HF polisher.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
I bought a new, black Saab 9000T in 1986. It was a showroom display model and had some very fine scratches in the hood from sloppy showroom dusting. I mentioned in when dealing on the car and was promised they could remove them if I'd drop the car off for a day. (Dealer was in a different city, 150 miles away.) I brought it back the next week, but instead of "removing" the scratches they introduced a whole new bunch of them with a rotary buffer.

Once again I was asked to bring the car back to have it fixed properly. I did, but it still wasn't fixed. They asked what it would take to satisfy me. I said either a new car or $2K refund. They gave me the refund. Swirls can be pretty tough to remove. I never got rid of them until I traded for a new car a couple years later -- another Saab 9000T.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I bought a new, black Saab 9000T in 1986. It was a showroom display model and had some very fine scratches in the hood from sloppy showroom dusting. I mentioned in when dealing on the car and was promised they could remove them if I'd drop the car off for a day. (Dealer was in a different city, 150 miles away.) I brought it back the next week, but instead of "removing" the scratches they introduced a whole new bunch of them with a rotary buffer.

Once again I was asked to bring the car back to have it fixed properly. I did, but it still wasn't fixed. They asked what it would take to satisfy me. I said either a new car or $2K refund. They gave me the refund. Swirls can be pretty tough to remove. I never got rid of them until I traded for a new car a couple years later -- another Saab 9000T.
That's because you were dealing with a dealer. Go to a professional detailer and see the difference

Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,722,183 times
You have to be really careful with a rotary polisher and I would only recommend using one if the paint was bad and if someone really knew what they were doing. Using the right pads for the jobs is very important as well.

I think a lot of people confuse a rotary with an orbital DA such as the porter cable model which is very safe to use on cars.

I detail boats and will use a rotary on them as the DA just doesn't have the power needed. For my car and truck I will never use the rotary but use the DA as it won't mark the paint/clearcoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or