U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,325,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCT TE 144-1 View Post
Well, anytime I need tire work (balancing etc) or new tires I ALWAYS jack up my own vehicle at home and pull the wheels myself while leaving it sitting on jack stands while I go to the tire place. I've got 8 lug nuts and studs......don't need some 17 year old kid in a hurry ramming the impact wrench without finger starting first, nor tossing my center caps across the shop floor scratching the hell out of them as they skid.
True that
In the place I worked, I started part time so I could continue my art career. About a month later, they asked if I wanted to be a foreman of the shop. Huh ?!?!? What ?!?!? I don' know anything about this stuff . . .
Well, it turned out that I could read. Yep, not kidding. I saw stuff that was just plain wrong! The point I left was when the owner came into the shop on a busy day and told us to "spit balance" all the tires to fit more cars in at busy times. Spit balancing is just pounding a weight on randomly to make it look like the tire was balanced. If the customer were to come back complaining of the thump, then, give them the real thing.
"Raod Hazard" warranties were a scam and what got me to freak was when one of the changers wouldnt pull the old weights off and the arm of the tire machine pushing the weight gouged the rim all the way around.

This was a loooooong time ago so I am assuming things have changed with more aluminum rims.
To stay mildly on-topic though, the patch plugs they used from the inside of the tire always held if the prep of the area was correct, didnt hit cords with the grinder, and letting the glue flash properly.
O00oof, this thread is bringing back some unpleasant memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 AM

4,866 posts, read 3,747,759 times
OP, time to fess up. Tell the car's owner what happened. It's the morally right thing to do.

How would you feel if you did nothing, and as a result, the same tire failed at freeway speeds and seriously injured, or worse, your friend?

Do what is right. Be honest.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_turtle04 View Post

I was not supposed to be driving during this period that it happened, which is why I need to remove it. I even thought the other person put a hole in it on purpose before going out of town, to make problem if I tried.
Quote:
to clarify: i am not the primary owner or driver of this car, in fact i have not driven it for 6 months at all. .
Just making sure everyone saw these parts from the OP.

This vehicle is NOT HIS CAR and he was NOT SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING IT.

The OP appears to be trying to pull one over on the vehicle's owner.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't get too alarmed over a tire plug. Countless teens I've seen at the mall throw a handful of keys onto the trunk or other painted surface and hot rod/over-rev....beat on Mom and Dad's cars all the time. I've also seen them open the door and smack it right into a concrete pole or wall. I've seen stupid hipster kids in their girl jeans jump on top of their friends Mom's car and walk across the hood and roof before. Bet that stuff never ever gets reported. At least the Op was trying to do something about it.
Sure, they do all those things...but those are just cosmetic things.

An improperly repaired tire has the potential to be more than cosmetic.

Has the OP stated WHERE this plug is? Is it in the tread or is it in the wall?

Honesty is the best policy, OP. Fess up.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,337,371 times
I would have gotten rid of the tire if I had gotten that response really. Many so called mystery accidents are found to be mechanical in nature if investigated well. Also reason I do not buy or ride in so called clunkers. Its also why I wouldn't have my 57 back as daily driver or ride a motorcycle any more.I don't blame any shop from not fixing it they see it as taking liability much less helping you take risk. Last I knew Wal Mart did not fix any puncture flats and if you had road hazard they replaced the tire. free of cost.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:41 AM

36 posts, read 75,159 times
Quote:
I wouldn't get too alarmed over a tire plug. Countless teens I've seen at the mall throw a handful of keys onto the trunk or other painted surface and hot rod/over-rev....beat on Mom and Dad's cars all the time. I've also seen them open the door and smack it right into a concrete pole or wall. I've seen stupid hipster kids in their girl jeans jump on top of their friends Mom's car and walk across the hood and roof before. Bet that stuff never ever gets reported. At least the Op was trying to do something about it.
The OP is not trying to do something about it, he's trying to hide what he did, namely taking this car out without the knowledge or consent of the owner. He even suspects the owner sabotaged the tire to keep him from driving the car, hence asking whether he can remove the plug that he put tin.

Quote:
I was not supposed to be driving during this period that it happened, which is why I need to remove it. I even thought the other person put a hole in it on purpose before going out of town, to make problem if I tried. (bc immediately it was making that noise and felt off, but did not discover what it was till a few miles later). However they have not said anything, and I don't want to either, so won't, just need to get the plug out.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:27 PM

8,261 posts, read 6,094,844 times
It's a liability issue.. Once the Explorer tires started coming apart back in the late 90's/early 2000's.. Alot of places, such as Sears, Tire Kingdom and the like stopped doing plugs because if they put a plug in, and the tire came apart, they could get sued..

Really, there is no issue with getting a plug.. Is it as safe as the original? no, but the danger is pretty minimal. A shop just can't take that risk, though. So, many of them are just flat out refusing to do them or have moved over to the 'patch' method that others have spoken about here.

I haven't found ANYWHERE that will plug a tire lately. You want a plug, best to go buy one of the $5 kits from an auto parts store and do it yourself.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:03 PM

13,554 posts, read 7,251,181 times
Quote:
to clarify: i am not the primary owner or driver of this car, in fact i have not driven it for 6 months at all. the perso who does drive it drives it to work but only sometimes. the freeway is far away enough from here that if i took the nail out it would be obviously flat first, and thus safer. however if i left it in, it would only have a problem on the freeway, at which point it would be screwed.

-Is it even possible to take out, and how...
-and if i left it in, would it just be like a normal flat tire on the freeway, and how likely the nail to disappear, fly away, or will it probably stay there to be seen.

Just be honest! Otherwise the rightful owner will no doubt take it out on the freeway and could have a serious accident because you aren't coming clean! Is that what you want? Just tell them and give them $100 for a new tire - take your lumps and keep the owner alive.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 12,792 times
how about removing the plug? I am assuming/thinking it must have been flat (with or without their knowledge) before i drove it bc it was off immediately. me driving for 1 day out of 6 months, i don't want to be the one responsible for replacing the tire..

Old 11-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
how about removing the plug? I am assuming/thinking it must have been flat (with or without their knowledge) before i drove it bc it was off immediately. me driving for 1 day out of 6 months, i don't want to be the one responsible for replacing the tire..
Ah, but understand you did something you were NOT SUPPOSED TO DO, which apparently was drive this vehicle (your own words!).

It sucks to pay the piper, but that is what you must do. Own up to your mistake. That is what a MATURE, RESPONSIBLE person would do.

TELL THE TRUTH TO THE CAR OWNER. Maybe they will take pity on you and replace the tire themselves. Maybe they will offer to split it with you. Or.....

Who is the owner? Your parent? A friend? A relative?

You are untrustworthy. The way to start to rebuild that trust is to first, fess up, and second, make it good.

The guilt of this is obviously bothering you, or you would never have posted here. So to relieve that guilt, you must make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or