U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 12:31 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,681,510 times

Advertisements

I like the car so have decided to keep it and want to get new brakes for it. I bought it used, certified in Aug of 2008 with just 7K miles on it. The warranty as a certified car was 6 years or 100K miles - whatever came first.

So we have just come out of warranty and I am paying attention to repair prices.

2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey with 77.7K miles.

Last time I was at a dealership (for the 60K maintenance work, which i had done at a Nissan dealership and saved over $200 over Infiniti's quote), the service manager said "Whatever you do, never use a brake shop. If you think Infiniti's work is too high then take it to a Nissan dealership."

Sooo....is this true? Dealerships seem to charge so much more. My car is flawless and runs perfectly. No one other than a dealership has ever worked on it but I also want to economize when it makes sense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:11 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
More than likely you will not be replacing calipers. You will install new pads, possibly new rotors, and flush the brake fluid.

I think the chain service centers in general are untrustworthy. They don't necessarily do bad work, but will push unneeded and expensive service to driver corporate profits.

Find a good independent mechanic. Ask them what pads and rotors they would use. There are lots of good aftermarket parts such as Wagner pads. Nothing wrong with them.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Of course they will tell you that, they want your business. There is nothing different about an Infiniti that requires dealers to do repairs. Find an independent mechanic that is recommended & trusted by friends/relatives
and just ask for OEM or high quality parts. When replacing brake pads, which I often do myself, the auto parts store may have 4-5 different quality levels/prices. The more expensive will usually have a longer warranty. A repair shop that low-balls the estimate is likely using the cheaper parts that will not last as long.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
More than likely you will not be replacing calipers. You will install new pads, possibly new rotors, and flush the brake fluid.

I think the chain service centers in general are untrustworthy. They don't necessarily do bad work, but will push unneeded and expensive service to driver corporate profits.

Find a good independent mechanic. Ask them what pads and rotors they would use. There are lots of good aftermarket parts such as Wagner pads. Nothing wrong with them.

I have only replaced 1 caliper in 18 years of driving.

I agree with the chain service centers being untrustworthy. They're all about upselling the customer into work that isn't needed. From what I've read, oil changes are loss leaders, it's the other work they try to talk you into to make money off of.

Definitely agree with the independent mechanic. After you find a good one, establish a relationship with them, recommend your friends to him. Reward his competence and fairness with more business. Don't try to screw him by bringing in your own parts because you think the prices on his parts are too high.

I'm a fan of Wagner as well and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCT TE 144-1 View Post
These used to be one of the best replacements you could buy made in the USA. They are getting harder to find now because most of the discount chains have dropped them in favor of cheaper China crap they can offer and make more profit on.

Home - Raybestos Brakes

If you have a Pep Boys near, I think they still sell them. They closed all of ours and we need to travel over 100 miles to the closest one now.
I like Raybestos as well. I think they're fine for a daily driver.

They're still available online. I just bought some Raybestos wheel bearings and installed them yesterday. I like their products and would never hesitate to use them.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 7,183,531 times
Youtube video and $70.00-$100.00 in parts and you can do your brakes in 30-45minutes in your driveway using hand tools.

Or you could pay a shop $250 to $600 for the same work

Old 11-24-2014, 07:30 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Youtube video and $70.00-$100.00 in parts and you can do your brakes in 30-45minutes in your driveway using hand tools.

Or you could pay a shop $250 to $600 for the same work
I have done my brakes many times, but there is no way a person can do four wheels in 45 minutes unless they had a lift and air tools.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,224,033 times
A factory authorized dealer will do it right.

Also large chain repair shops will be darn sure to do brake jobs right. The last thing they want is someone getting in an accident because they didn't service the brakes properly. Pretty safe using one of those.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I have only replaced 1 caliper in 18 years of driving.
Infiniti mounts the rear caliper very low on the EX/FX (as well as the G and M sedan). If they see a lot of water/snow/salt/slush they could seize in place.

I had to replace two rear calipers on my G35 due to the pins seizing in place. It's a common issue with some infiniti's simply due to moisture corroding the pins in place despite my best efforts to lube them.

Parts are cheap though. Reman caliper off rockauto.com was $35.

Anyway, i've done the brakes on my Infiniti many times. Nothing special about them to require the dealer to do the job. IIRC, front calipers are held on with 22mm bolts, rears with 19mm bolts, and then a 14mm to unbolt the caliper from the pad bracket to swap the pads out. Rotors are a little pricey though for OEM.

But in terms of brake job, nothing special. Press the pistons in. Install new pads, slide on the rotors, call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive