U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM

9,825 posts, read 13,918,311 times

Advertisements

So, when did jaywalking became acceptable, not punishable, and drivers threat in this country? USA, I mean.
By all research done, it's still illegal and varies from infringement to misdemeanor. And I have dash cam to prove, in case s...t happens.
Yet, judging from the real life driving, folks on feet pretty much took over city roads. They cross anywhere they want to, as slowly as they want to, they will be gravely offended should you, in you full legal rights, NOT stop and wave your hand them through the street, even if they are about "only approaching the road with intent".
Which is OK, but scary part is - cars and drivers IN the street, IN their best legal rights NOT to give way, instantly pee their pants and mufflers, and halt for those types.

Outside of unfortunate true life reason - lawsuit, who wants them - what the heck happened with the country? I was told that in say Czech republic, jaywalkers can get batoned by a street cop, true or false. But if true, that's as Europe as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:49 PM

797 posts, read 375,925 times
Europe overall is a better place to live in,especially the tax havens with free college. Over there,stupidity gets punished by force,like spanking kid. Yea jaywalking it's illegal,but still as drivers we have to give them the right away. People take advantage of that,and even at crosswalks, taking their sweet ass time as if people in the cars don't have anywhere to go. The manners here in america are slowly but surely dissipating. It's really frustrating.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,240,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Europe overall is a better place to live in,especially the tax havens with free college. Over there,stupidity gets punished by force,like spanking kid. Yea jaywalking it's illegal,but still as drivers we have to give them the right away. People take advantage of that,and even at crosswalks, taking their sweet ass time as if people in the cars don't have anywhere to go. The manners here in america are slowly but surely dissipating. It's really frustrating.
Yeah, it's a better place to live if you don't make a lot of money and want everything handed to you. It's much harder to attain an upper middle class status in Europe, whereas in the US you can get there with hard work. But I definitely agree that good manners in America are almost nonexistent.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 PM

9,000 posts, read 7,090,463 times
I do NOT enable jaywalkers! I refuse to stop for them. I won't hit them (too much paperwork, and it might make a mess on my truck), so I will avoid them, but I will not stop.
There is one street in town where jaywalking is rampant, for about 6 blocks! Oddly enough, most of the people who are too lazy to walk to the corner and use the cross walk are college graduates. MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, in fact! That's right, the very people who are telling the world to get more exercise are too lazy to walk half a block!
Or, perhaps, too dumb to leave home 5 minutes earlier so they have the time to walk to the crosswalk.
I have to drive this street morning and evening about three days per week!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,416 posts, read 50,646,420 times
I admit to being a jaywalker, daily, but I have to get across the street before the next train comes or may have to wait 15-20 minutes to get to my car in the parking garage or walk 1/2 mile to the skybridge over the tracks. . I never cross when there is a car visible in either direction, however, only when there are none in sight, so have never had an issues with slowing anyone down. The police will ticket people here, if they happen to see you jaywalking.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,727,464 times
As bad as the jaywalkers are the idiots who use the crosswalks but don't look before crossing. I live near a major tourist town and there are quite a few who get creamed. It seems they understand that a car must stop for pedestrians crossing at a crosswalk so the idiots just assume they can step right in the path of a car going 30/40 mph and that they will stop. I have even seen people dragging their kids along with them when they cross like that. IDIOTS!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,342,735 times
I see it on an almost daily basis. People sneaking between cars at a red light so they don't have to trouble them selves with walking the extra 10 feet to the intersection, people mindlessly crossing when and where they please with no regard to their well being, or others around them. What is especially maddening is the ignorant, "I'm a pedestrian, I have the right of way, no questions"

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM

12,559 posts, read 18,941,353 times
So go ahead and hit 'em. That will teach them a lesson.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,934,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I do NOT enable jaywalkers! I refuse to stop for them. I won't hit them (too much paperwork, and it might make a mess on my truck), so I will avoid them, but I will not stop.
There is one street in town where jaywalking is rampant, for about 6 blocks! Oddly enough, most of the people who are too lazy to walk to the corner and use the cross walk are college graduates. MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, in fact! That's right, the very people who are telling the world to get more exercise are too lazy to walk half a block!
Or, perhaps, too dumb to leave home 5 minutes earlier so they have the time to walk to the crosswalk.
I have to drive this street morning and evening about three days per week!
I don't know what the laws are in your state regarding pedestrians jay walking, but here in California, regardless if they are in a crosswalk or noit, the law is you stop.
It obviously isn't enforced, but it is the law.
If by chance a cop saw you driving by a ped who was walking across a street, you would get a ticket.

My beef isn't with jaywalkers, but jerks driving who would mow you down in an instant when we are walking in a crosswalk. with the walk sign.
Matter of fact, I am attending a community meeting this evening where a senior deputy for our area will be taking questions.
I need to find the protocol for having a traffic light changed to a left turn arrow, with no yield to green.
When the arrow turns red, no left hand turn at all.
Bob.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:42 PM

22,719 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
As bad as the jaywalkers are the idiots who use the crosswalks but don't look before crossing. I live near a major tourist town and there are quite a few who get creamed. It seems they understand that a car must stop for pedestrians crossing at a crosswalk so the idiots just assume they can step right in the path of a car going 30/40 mph and that they will stop. I have even seen people dragging their kids along with them when they cross like that. IDIOTS!
This bothers me quite a bit. Even when I'm driving slowly, like in a 25 mph zone or a parking lot, people launch out in front of the car and it's difficult to avoid hitting them--even at that speed! And the people who run across the highway at night. Ahhh! Why are they always wearing black clothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive