U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 723,694 times

Advertisements

The dealer must have a boat payment due.

OP - take a "Basic Car Care" class at your local community college. I guarantee that'll be the best $50 or $100 you'll ever spend in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,373,680 times
holy moly... $80 for tire rotation?

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
These services are needed at 15,000 miles according to your maintenance manual. They need the cash early for Christmas shopping. IMO

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...ance-guide.pdf

Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM

8,716 posts, read 8,927,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
total pricing

1. cabin microfilter replacement -- $120
2. brake fluid exchange -- $130
3. air induction service -- $190
4. air filter replacement - $70
5. tire rotation - $80
I have a 2006 Infiniti G35x i've owned since new....

Dealer pricing and insisting on service is rather aggressive.

1.) Use a $10 filter from parts store. WOn't hurt a thing. Search online for method to replace it as it usually is just a couple screws under the glovebox and you can access the filter. I've gone 2-3 years without replacement and it's not that dirty.

.2) This one i do do regularly. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even just sitting. Over time this can corrode the internals of the system and/or create a spongy pedal. I've bled the brakes yearly and notice an improvement in pedal response each time. Cost was $10-15 in brake fluid from local parts store and an hour of my own labor. $130 to pay to have it done is not bad. A local mechanical can prob do it cheaper.

3.) 150K miles on my Infiniti and never cleaned the TB. Still runs great. Usually around 100K miles guys start to do this service themselves, but with under 20K i wouldn't bother.

4.) Run whatever filter you want. Even a crappy fram is a half decent filter

5.) find a local tire place. Can prob do it cheaper

FYI, Nissan dealerships can service Infiniti's. Their labor rate is cheaper so usually their service is cheaper. There will be services you WILL need if you keep this car for a while like the AWD service (differential fluid exchange and transfer case fluid exchange) as well as fan belts and such. They are nothing that an independant shop can't handle. I've done this service myself, and no different than working on a Ford or Chevy. I've found Infiniti's to be relatively easy to perform service on.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
OP, call these nice folks and ask who they recommend for repairs. They WILL know the best in your area.

Mazda-Nissan Heaven USA-TX(Ft.-Worth) 817-572-0277

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,050,919 times
Find a new mechanic. Those prices are ridiculous.

The air filter costs maybe $20 and takes a minute to replace. I can see billing it if that's ALL the shop is doing, but if they've already got the car in there. Brake fluid at two years is a myth like the 3k oil change. They make dip strips which will tell you if the brake fluid actually needs to be changed. They do tend to get some water in the fluid which is why it needs to be changed but modern brakes are much more of a sealed system than the 1950s machines and brake fluid is better. If you're in Hawaii or tend to ford a lot of rivers, you might need your brake fluid changed. Otherwise 99% chance it's completely unnecessary and a waste of money.

Air induction service is just a scam.
Tire rotation at $80? As part of an oil change? That's like with the air filters. A decent mechanic is going to rotate your tires when they do an oil change for free. It's built into the price of the oil change which is why they charge a bit more than Jiffy Lube. The dealership SHOULD, but obviously does not, fall into a decent mechanic realm. It insteads operates as a Jiffy Lube except more expensive. Basically the Jiffy Lube model is to get you in on oil changes and then bill a bunch of unnecessary stuff at inflated prices.

Since you car is out of warranty, never go back. If you feel like being helpful, write a letter to the owner of the dealership. Again, chances are the owner of the dealership is aware. Chances are he's the one pushing is service writers but in the off chance he's unaware he should have the opportunity to fire the service writer.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-24-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,664,211 times
My wife used to take her car to Valvoline, which was across the street from where she worked (retired now). One day she noted a fellow in there with a clipboard. A tech guy she knew told her the clipboard guy was a district manager who came out to "rate" the customer service skills of each tech. High on his list was how many extra services the tech would recommend. She was told that her car "needed" $400 of work, along the lines of what the OP listed. She refused all of them (the car still runs fine).

I relate this, just to show how widespread this type of thing is at virtually all automotive service centers. It seems that women are their preferred victime, but I've seen it happen to men, as well.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 18,459 times
I know most stealerships are crooked but wow..

1. Doesn't need it
2. Doesn't need it
3. Doesn't need it
4. Doesn't need it
5. Shouldn't cost more than $20. $80? I'm in the wrong business.

I used to work in a shop doing these same repairs(except for the $190 "air induction service", I'd love to know what that consists of, a new air filter is $10-20, there's nothing else in the induction system to service aside from the filter). A 2012 with 18k miles shouldn't need more than synthetic oil every 5k(can go longer but I like 5k to be safe), oil filter when changing the oil, tire rotation every other oil change, and gas. Nothing more.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
$80 to rotate tires? That's what, about 7 minute's worth of labor? And WTF is "air induction service" and why the hell would a modern car need something like that at only 18K miles?

JFC. Don't ever step foot in this place again. I'm astonished they didn't recommend changing the muffler bearings.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,109,525 times
YouTube or google filter changes. Can usually be done in 10 minutes. Forget about air induction service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or