U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone here has ever really dealt with a newist car at the dealership.

You drive in for an oil change and they ask permission to do a 40-point service check or some BS. 45 mins later, you need $800 worth or service.

Happened to me all the time when i took my Infiniti in for warranty stuff. I did my own maintainence and they used to come back all the time telling me I needed this, or that. I would even go as far to DATE the filters with my initials the week before taking the car in and still have them tell me i was overdue for a cabin filter change or a belt change or something even if the part was brand new.

Ford did it to me when i bought a new Mustang

Infiniti did it to me

Benz does it to me.

I never told them i do my own service and i remember the service guy at Infiniti pretty much yelling at me when I was refusing service from them at 50K mile (was all up to date, but not by the dealer so their computer showed I didn't do jack)

I'm sure some of the service is due. You can't drive 100K miles on oil changes alone. Once in a while, some other stuff should be done. I'm actually guilty of overmaintaining my cars, but i still got read the riot act from the dealer whenever my car was there (for warranty stuff)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM

3,425 posts, read 3,241,743 times
$40 for an oil change sounds a little high even for a dealer. My dealer charges $30 and occasionally they send me "specials" postcards advertising $25 oil changes. Or go to the local Jiffy Lube and pay $19.99 (or less if you use one of their online coupons) or else go to the local service station. The local place will probably also rotate your tires for free.

Maybe you can switch to a different dealer for your warranty service, since this one sounds a bit crooked.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM

797 posts, read 374,804 times
Report them to the BBB for unnecessary recommendations. Seriously,choose another dealer. Anything that is not in the owners manual is BS

Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,434,261 times
Ok none of these need to be done...

1. cabin microfilter replacement - This is only used if you have your system set to bring in outside air.. If you recirculate the air there is no need for this.... I have run vehicles without thsi filter the whole time I had them....
2. brake fluid exchange -- I have NEVER done this.. ESPECIALLY with that low a miles you would not have to do it...
3. air induction service -- Yes do this yourself or IMO not worry about it with that low a miles on your car....
4. air filter replacement - See #3
5. tire rotation - As stated before done by yourself or take to a tire shop and they will prob charge you $25 to do this....

The BEST thing you can do to your car is change the oil and filter at the factory recommended times.....

Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM

137 posts, read 122,387 times
No way! The dealer is using FEAR with your fairly new, very well-built and well-engineered car. He also thinks, because you can afford such a nice car, that you have a lot of disposable cash and you won't mind spending all of that money to keep your car running.
You should carefully read your owner's manual and look at the maintenance schedule and compare that with all of the things the dealer is telling you your car needs.
Oil changes as scheduled are right, but you need to look closely at those things I just told you and you should be able to decide that he is only using fear to try and get you to spend more money on your 2012 car.
I don't know if you remember that episode in Seinfeld where Jerry takes his nice NEW SAAB to a mechanic and the mechanic starts to tell him all of the things he has found on Jerry's car that need to be fixed.
Infiniti's and SAABs are some of the best made cars on the market today.
All you have to do is read your owner's manual and look carefully at the maintenance schedule that should also be in your owner's manual and that should give you peace of mind.
The air induction service and brake fluid replacement are, IMHO, completely unnecessary right now with your very low mileage car. If you let them mess with that they might make things much worse by not doing good work and making you return for further "maintenance". It's a scam and you need to be aware and very careful of what your car does and does not need.

Last edited by Mass Transit user; 11-24-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM

321 posts, read 468,786 times
change oil ,go to discount tire and have the tires rotated for free and that's it --good to go --car dealers are ripoffs.
and don't let them scare you that it voids your warranty if the works not done.
--BS

Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Maybe, but $80 is a lot

I avoid Fram filters when I can, but I doubt that your air filter is damaging the car either, unless it was installed poorly or is damaged. There is always going to be a tiny bit of dust in the intake past the filter. If it sneaks past the factory installed filters, I presume that your Fram filter isn't going to be much worse, to the point where you need the intake disassembled to clean it out.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:56 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,230,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Brake fluid at two years is a myth like the 3k oil change. They make dip strips which will tell you if the brake flud actually needs to be changed. They do tend to get some water in the fluid which is why it needs to be changed but modern brakes are much more of a sealed system than the 1950s machines and brake fluid is better. If you're in Hawaii or tend to ford a lot of rivers, you might need your brake fluid changed. Otherwise 99% chance it's completely unnecessary and a waste of money.
No, the owner's manual for my 2006 Ridgeline says brake fluid every 3 years independent of mileage. That's why I said it depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles still need to be changed every 2-3 years, whereas others can go to 100k miles without a fluid change. I'm not familiar w/the Infiniti so I recommended searching an Infiniti forum.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,230,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
$40 for an oil change sounds a little high even for a dealer. My dealer charges $30 and occasionally they send me "specials" postcards advertising $25 oil changes. Or go to the local Jiffy Lube and pay $19.99 (or less if you use one of their online coupons) or else go to the local service station. The local place will probably also rotate your tires for free.

Maybe you can switch to a different dealer for your warranty service, since this one sounds a bit crooked.
$30 for an oil change at the dealer? Maybe if you drive a Civic or live in the boonies. Audi charges $119 for an oil change around here. I change the oil on my Honda myself and the oil/filter already costs me over $20 at Advance Auto parts.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM

783 posts, read 558,768 times
Read the owners manual. Many short in-town trips would probably put you in severe service category, as the car made never get completely hot/warm.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and needs to be changed based on time not necessarily mileage. Not changing your brake fluid when it is recommended it is not only foolish, it can be dangerous. Most cars recommend changing the brake fluid every 2 to 5 years.

I have others have suggested tried joining an Infinity forum for your car model.

And / or go to one of the fairly good online repair sites (such as repair pal), which will give you estimates of what a procedure should cost and will give ratings for independent mechanics for many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or