U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 PM

8,175 posts, read 14,249,488 times

Advertisements

Being a woman, I used to constantly get the nonsense recommendations. What mechanics don't know is that I used to help my father and cousin with repairs. Now, that's a long time ago and cars have changed, plus I'm not a spring chicken anymore. My days of crawling under a car and replacing mufflers or changing out starter motors are long gone. When I need to hire a new mechanic, I take the vehicle in with a minor issue, then listen to see if they are going to give me the bologna spiels. The one who is straightforward with me gets my business - and I drive a lot, long distances.

My current mechanic passed all my tests and more. First, he didn't charge for a bunch of small things that I was used to paying. He had my car for a day and a half trying to figure out why the ac was freezing up and he charged me nothing since he couldn't find anything to fix. Back in the northeast, that would have cost me and they would have replaced some part for sure.

Don't be the woman who doesn't know how to, even if you don't do it. Take a basic mechanics course for women - they are around - and be knowledgeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 05:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,214,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Maybe, but $80 is a lot

I avoid Fram filters when I can, but I doubt that your air filter is damaging the car either, unless it was installed poorly or is damaged. There is always going to be a tiny bit of dust in the intake past the filter. If it sneaks past the factory installed filters, I presume that your Fram filter isn't going to be much worse, to the point where you need the intake disassembled to clean it out.
The filter thing had me scratching my head. I'm guessing the dealer is just trying to make a quick buck and is making something up. That said, the only thing I was worried about is the OP said they don't know much about cars, but has aftermarket air filters on the car at low miles. I'm wondering if they are the wrong size or improperly installed as noted.(although, as I said, my real guess is that the dealer is looking to make money and will say anything).

I would double check the engine air filters, since it is the Nissan 3.5 liter, it should have two.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,009,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I took my car to the dealership to have an oil change done prior to driving home for the holidays. I drive a 2012 Infiniti EX35.

$40 oil change and the dealer recommended over $600 worth of maintenance that they claimed my car absolutely needed. I am not smart with cars, but I had them hold off on it. I wanted to do some research because I feel that a lot of the services are extremely overpriced for what they are. My fiance also has handled some of the maintenance aspects of my car thus far and I'd like to put my trust in what he has helped me with, but the dealer says it is HURTING my car?? (!!)

My car has 18,500 miles and is mostly all city driving to and from work.

They recommended the following

1. Air induction service

Our trained technicians start by disassembling the air intake system. They then clean the

throttle body housing, intake and plate, plenum and air-intake, and intake valves and

ports. Finally, they remove any combustion chamber deposits. This ensures a correct

balance of fuel and air in the system.

2. Air filter replacement -- We replaced the air filters at 15K with aftermarket. The dealer is claiming that they are letting in unfiltered air since we did not use the OEM filters and want to change them out. We are using FRAM filters for reference.

Operation Description:

Remove the air filter element from the air filter housing. Clean the air filter housing and

inspect the fresh air duct hose for damage, dirt, or obstructions. Inspect the warm air

intake hose for signs of deterioration. Install a new filter element, and then reinstall the

air filter housing access panel.

3. Cabin filter replacement -- we understand this one. We have an aftermarket air filter that we purchased for this. But should we have the dealer do the work instead?

Operation Description:

Access the cabin or pollen filter according to the vehicle manufacturer’s service

information. This usually involves opening the glove box and removing the bolt to lower

the door. Remove the old cabin air filter from its housing. Replace with new cabin air

filter. Replace the bolt to attach the glove box door. Close the glove box door. Clean the

housing of all dust and debris. Install the new pollen filter into its housing.

4. Break fluid exchange service - I'm confused on why we need this. Do we need to try and do this? I'm confused because in the descriptions it says this needs to be done every 30-40K Miles. I am no where near that.

Operation Description:

One of our skilled technicians will check the condition of your vehicle’s brake fluid and,

if necessary, remove contaminated fluid from the brake lines and master cylinder,

replace the old fluid with appropriate brake fluid. The entire brake system will be

inspected for leaks, master cylinder corrosion, worn pneumatic parts, harmful varnish

build-up, broken or rusted bleeder valves, worn rotors and drums, and air in the brake

lines.

total pricing

1. cabin microfilter replacement -- $120
2. brake fluid exchange -- $130
3. air induction service -- $190
4. air filter replacement - $70
5. tire rotation - $80

The real question is -- what services do we REALLY need? I am not a car person, but I want to take care of the car to drive for at least 6-8 more years.
These services are inflated to the point of being laughable. Go somewhere else and have only the owner's manual recommended services performed. Cabin filter replaced if actually dirty, likewise air filter, rotate tires. About $100 total.

Don in Austin

Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 AM

862 posts, read 2,424,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
5. The tire rotation is a good idea, but can be done at home.
Seriously? How many have the equipment to rotate their tires at home? Wouldn't that involve buying a floor jack, jack stands, torque wrench, etc..? Don't most people just let Discount Tire rotate them for free?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:46 AM

4,911 posts, read 5,520,426 times
No. Especially at just 18,000 miles. No major service is usually done until AT LEAST 30k miles. As of right now all you should be doing is oil changes and tire rotations unless work is warranted and covered under warranty.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 AM

8,175 posts, read 14,249,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Seriously? How many have the equipment to rotate their tires at home? Wouldn't that involve buying a floor jack, jack stands, torque wrench, etc..? Don't most people just let Discount Tire rotate them for free?
I'm sure there are plenty of shade tree mechanics who have all the necessary equipment. BTW, one can change/rotate a tire without a torque wrench.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 AM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Yes, Discount Tire "should" rotate for free even if you have never purchased from them. Just a good will gesture on their part to hopefully bring in future business.

Otherwise, it's probably $20 total if they decide to charge you.

I know they have patched my dads car in the past even though he has never done business with them.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 AM

397 posts, read 1,384,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
The filter thing had me scratching my head. I'm guessing the dealer is just trying to make a quick buck and is making something up. That said, the only thing I was worried about is the OP said they don't know much about cars, but has aftermarket air filters on the car at low miles. I'm wondering if they are the wrong size or improperly installed as noted.(although, as I said, my real guess is that the dealer is looking to make money and will say anything).

I would double check the engine air filters, since it is the Nissan 3.5 liter, it should have two.
My fiance was the one that actually got the filters. He purchased 2 engine air filters and replaced them both at 15K... He also got a cabin air filter but hasn't put it in yet.

I will have to see if we can find an outside mechanic with a good reputation with working with these types of cars. I was afraid that this was extremely overpriced. Granted, I haven't really ever driven a car to the point where it needs major maintenance..this is my first luxury car though. I thought it was just a luxury car thing at first. I am glad I told them to wait. I will probably try and see if we can do the brake fluid next service since I've had the car for a couple of years now and the maintenance manual seems to call for it at 15K..but I will probably take it somewhere else for that. I knew I had a bad feeling about this car dealership...they have had me feeling a bit like I wanted a different car because I have not had a pleasant experience dealing with them. But maybe the answer is find somewhere else to have the maintenance done. I just try to work through the dealer since it is still under warranty for another 2 years.

The list price on the oil change was $65 by the way. They "found a coupon" to bring it down to $42. Seems like inflation at it's best

Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
$30 for an oil change at the dealer? Maybe if you drive a Civic or live in the boonies. Audi charges $119 for an oil change around here. I change the oil on my Honda myself and the oil/filter already costs me over $20 at Advance Auto parts.
audi uses synthetic oil which costs more. BMW uses a tad over 6.5-8 quarts of synthetic oil. Even my buddy's new Honda minivan uses part synthetic oil now.

Yes, DIY is always cheaper but always know the apple to apple comparison

Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I will have to see if we can find an outside mechanic with a good reputation with working with these types of cars. I was afraid that this was extremely overpriced. Granted, I haven't really ever driven a car to the point where it needs major maintenance..this is my first luxury car though. I thought it was just a luxury car thing at first. I am glad I told them to wait.

Not trying to sound condescending, but finding a decent independent mechanic for your car is a dime a dozen assuming you don't live in the middle of nowhere. Its really a Nissan underneath the nameplate. The real issue is a typical stealer that is gouging you. Only thing that maybe a nuisance is if the electronics of these newer cars can be a pain down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or