U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 AM

397 posts, read 1,384,740 times

Advertisements

I took my car to the dealership to have an oil change done prior to driving home for the holidays. I drive a 2012 Infiniti EX35.

$40 oil change and the dealer recommended over $600 worth of maintenance that they claimed my car absolutely needed. I am not smart with cars, but I had them hold off on it. I wanted to do some research because I feel that a lot of the services are extremely overpriced for what they are. My fiance also has handled some of the maintenance aspects of my car thus far and I'd like to put my trust in what he has helped me with, but the dealer says it is HURTING my car?? (!!)

My car has 18,500 miles and is mostly all city driving to and from work.

They recommended the following

1. Air induction service

Our trained technicians start by disassembling the air intake system. They then clean the

throttle body housing, intake and plate, plenum and air-intake, and intake valves and

ports. Finally, they remove any combustion chamber deposits. This ensures a correct

balance of fuel and air in the system.

2. Air filter replacement -- We replaced the air filters at 15K with aftermarket. The dealer is claiming that they are letting in unfiltered air since we did not use the OEM filters and want to change them out. We are using FRAM filters for reference.

Operation Description:

Remove the air filter element from the air filter housing. Clean the air filter housing and

inspect the fresh air duct hose for damage, dirt, or obstructions. Inspect the warm air

intake hose for signs of deterioration. Install a new filter element, and then reinstall the

air filter housing access panel.

3. Cabin filter replacement -- we understand this one. We have an aftermarket air filter that we purchased for this. But should we have the dealer do the work instead?

Operation Description:

Access the cabin or pollen filter according to the vehicle manufacturer’s service

information. This usually involves opening the glove box and removing the bolt to lower

the door. Remove the old cabin air filter from its housing. Replace with new cabin air

filter. Replace the bolt to attach the glove box door. Close the glove box door. Clean the

housing of all dust and debris. Install the new pollen filter into its housing.

4. Break fluid exchange service - I'm confused on why we need this. Do we need to try and do this? I'm confused because in the descriptions it says this needs to be done every 30-40K Miles. I am no where near that.

Operation Description:

One of our skilled technicians will check the condition of your vehicle’s brake fluid and,

if necessary, remove contaminated fluid from the brake lines and master cylinder,

replace the old fluid with appropriate brake fluid. The entire brake system will be

inspected for leaks, master cylinder corrosion, worn pneumatic parts, harmful varnish

build-up, broken or rusted bleeder valves, worn rotors and drums, and air in the brake

lines.

total pricing

1. cabin microfilter replacement -- $120
2. brake fluid exchange -- $130
3. air induction service -- $190
4. air filter replacement - $70
5. tire rotation - $80

The real question is -- what services do we REALLY need? I am not a car person, but I want to take care of the car to drive for at least 6-8 more years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,233,205 times
You are best to buy a copy of the "factory service manual" for your specific vehicle. Get that at your dealer parts department. Those books (DVD's) [can be 2000 pages long] will tell you what needs to be serviced at various mileage intervals AND how to do it!

Note your owner's manual (in glove compartment of your car) may have similar information.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 AM

4,116 posts, read 7,604,017 times
None of the above, imo...
-Unless you put in a $5 air filter, the one you replaced the oe with should be fine, though I would not have replaced the oe so soon.
-Tire rotation, maybe, though not a huge fan of TR. Most of the 'techs' will gouge the crap out of your wheel bolt holes reaching in for the lug bolts, and when air wrenching them back in, and most tend to over torque those bolts. Your pick, but a tire joint will probably do it for half the price, or it's <30 min job in your driveway if you have a floor jack.
-Brake fluid: maybe. Most mfg'ers rec'd every 2 years, though few pay attention. A good Indie shop will probably do a better job at 2/3rds the dlr price.
-cabin filter takes <5 mins even on cars with complex under dash access...

Since your car is probably still under warranty, and there is really nothing to 'fix' and charge back to the mfg'er for warranty repair reimbursement, dlrs bring out the 'maintenance list' like one's car is close to doom. 'Hurting your car'? Lol:
Typical dlr bs.

And, give that handy book in the glove box that few ever read: The Owner's Manual.
If you want to be really OCD and 'careful', follow the 'extreme conditions service' listings vs the normal rec'd service listings, for maintenance intervals.
GL, mD

Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,398 posts, read 50,602,810 times
My dealer does the tire rotation free with the oil changes, none of the rest of those are needed. They are trying to take advantage of you. The brake fluid change should not be needed until about 30,000 miles.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post

5. tire rotation - $80

The real question is -- what services do we REALLY need? I am not a car person, but I want to take care of the car to drive for at least 6-8 more years.
1. Do it yourself with a quality filter you can buy for 12.99 generic or 39.99 Fram via Autozone
2. brake fluid exchange not required unless there is a visible issue with the brake system or a leak
3. Not necessary
4. Do it your self 9.39 generic or 10.39 for Fram at Autozone (only as a reference, buy anywhere)
5. Tire rotation is recommended as part of regular maintenance to prevent uneven tire wear and extend the life of the tires. Should be done for much less though, probably half what they quoted.

Realistic cost of all needed should be around $100 if you do it yourself including the oil change.

Here is a maintenance schedule from an Infiniti site just for reference.
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...2010_I_SMG.pdf

Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,195,530 times
A lot of places will throw in a tire rotation free with an oil change.

With only 18.5k miles on the car, I can't imagine why you'd need the brake fluid changed.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,705,220 times
A 2012 with 37K miles NEEDS none of those services.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,235,741 times
Quote:

1. Air induction service

2. Air filter replacement -- We replaced the air filters at 15K with aftermarket. The dealer is claiming that they are letting in unfiltered air since we did not use the OEM filters and want to change them out. We are using FRAM filters for reference.

3. Cabin filter replacement -- we understand this one. We have an aftermarket air filter that we purchased for this. But should we have the dealer do the work instead?

4. Break fluid exchange service - I'm confused on why we need this. Do we need to try and do this? I'm confused because in the descriptions it says this needs to be done every 30-40K Miles. I am no where near that.
1. You don't need this unless there's a design flaw with Infiniti's direct injection system. I'd actually post that or search for it in an Infiniti car forum, not here. For example certain Audi models with the 3.2L engine absolutely need this cleaning done every 3 years or so.

2. You are fine with the Fram at 15k.

3. You are fine with aftermarket. Should be done every 24-30k miles or every 2 years if you don't drive that much.

4. This one also depends on the car. Some cars require it changed every 2-3 years regardless of mileage, so you should ask the guys in the Infiniti car forum about this one too.

With that being said you probably don't NEED any of these services, but if you are trying to keep your car maintained properly then I'd do what I posted above.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,009,299 times
Quote:
I took my car to the dealership to have an oil change done prior to driving home for the holidays. I drive a 2012 Infiniti EX35.

$40 oil change and the dealer recommended over $600 worth of maintenance that they claimed my car absolutely needed. I am not smart with cars, but I had them hold off on it. I wanted to do some research because I feel that a lot of the services are extremely overpriced for what they are. My fiance also has handled some of the maintenance aspects of my car thus far and I'd like to put my trust in what he has helped me with, but the dealer says it is HURTING my car?? (!!)

My car has 18,500 miles and is mostly all city driving to and from work.

1. Air induction service

Our trained technicians start by disassembling the air intake system. They then clean the

throttle body housing, intake and plate, plenum and air-intake, and intake valves and

ports. Finally, they remove any combustion chamber deposits. This ensures a correct

balance of fuel and air in the system.

Operation Description:

Remove the air filter element from the air filter housing. Clean the air filter housing and

inspect the fresh air duct hose for damage, dirt, or obstructions. Inspect the warm air

intake hose for signs of deterioration. Install a new filter element, and then reinstall the

air filter housing access panel.

Operation Description:

Access the cabin or pollen filter according to the vehicle manufacturer’s service

information. This usually involves opening the glove box and removing the bolt to lower

the door. Remove the old cabin air filter from its housing. Replace with new cabin air

filter. Replace the bolt to attach the glove box door. Close the glove box door. Clean the

housing of all dust and debris. Install the new pollen filter into its housing.

Operation Description:

One of our skilled technicians will check the condition of your vehicle’s brake fluid and,

if necessary, remove contaminated fluid from the brake lines and master cylinder,

replace the old fluid with appropriate brake fluid. The entire brake system will be

inspected for leaks, master cylinder corrosion, worn pneumatic parts, harmful varnish

build-up, broken or rusted bleeder valves, worn rotors and drums, and air in the brake

lines.

total pricing

5. tire rotation - $80

That's not service, that's rape.....here you go:

1) No, doesn't need it yet
2) Do it yourself
3) Do it yourself
4) Doesn't need it yet

Your cost? About $40-$50 in cabin and air filter...maybe $4 in fuel conditioners....

That's a dealer staying in business on your nickel. That is WAAAAAY over the top for some of those services and that low of mileage....go ahead and throw in some fuel conditioner if you feel so inclined but, Induction service at 17,500 miles???

Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM

142 posts, read 552,847 times
Quote:
5. tire rotation - $80
A 2012 with only 18,500 miles?

1. Not necessary
2. Brake fluid is usually changed every 24-months regardless of miles. I'd recommend a brake fluid flush/exchange, but it's not an immediate need.
3. Not necessary. You can do it yourself.
4. Not necessary. You can do it yourself.
5. The tire rotation is a good idea, but can be done at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or